01 CL-P Vs Saab 9-3 (looked like an 06)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006 | 09:51 PM
Got DEP???

01 CL-P Vs Saab 9-3 (looked like an 06)

Ok, I guess I will finally add an encounter here...

I was driving home tonight and there was a car that was driving up on me from a few minutes after leaving a toll booth (Bedford, NH). As I was coming up on traffic on a two lane highway, this car switched to the right lane as if he was trying to pass me. Problem was, I was coming up on traffic and there was no where for him to go but behind me.

Now I'm on rte 293 in Manchester, NH and the road has a shit load of "S" turns in it. I switch to the right lane to get by someone going slow and he follows. The person in the left lane decided he was going to go over the line (into my lane with Jersey barriers next to me), so I had to brake and use the horn and lights. So, we are going at about 80-90 just cruising along and then I realize that I should race this guy through the "Gauntlet" of a highway that it is. He keeps up pretty good and we kept coming up on traffic. Now I come up on this rather sharp bend in the highway that I have experienced sliding on before while speeding around it, so I feel a little nervous with these shitty new tires (Yoko's AVID V4s) and the stock suspension.

So, I just keep on it like a true racer would and I was going about 110mph. After we pull from the bend in the road, I let up a bit to let him catch back up. He always does pretty well until 110mph, and then it seems that the CL pulls once the vtec kicks in. We got back to 110mph and then I slowly pulled on him until I was doing 130mph and I looked in my rear view to see him back about 350-400 feet.

After that, he gave up and just fell back. I started just driving at cruising speed (80 mph) for about 5 more minutes until he finally caught back up to me. I guess he thought he was slick and would sneak up on me, because he kept switching lanes behind cars trying to get back up with me. Now, I was waiting to see what kind of car this was, since all I saw was headlights the whole time. I let him pass on the left and see that it was a Saab and it looked to be brand new. I switched lanes behind him, since it was down to two lanes again and he switched to the right. We were coming up on a large bend in the highway where the speed limit is only 55mph (I always do 95-105 mph around it), and as I was coming up on his left at about 85mph. He sped up and tried to get away, but I just floored it and he kept right up to me until I got to 110mph and started to pull, but we came up on a shit load of traffic and I got off the exit right after that.

I don't know, just felt like posting something tonight...

I need mods... Pleh
Old 12-27-2006 | 10:01 PM
Daily Driver '01 CLS

If the Yokohama Avid V4s are shitty, why'd you get them? I think they're reasonable priced tires for the "UTQG" rating of 500.
Old 12-27-2006 | 10:16 PM
Got DEP???

The tires sounded great and people on the forum have said great things about them.
I had Bridgestones on it before and never had a problem.

Last Friday night, I was getting on the highway at a decent rate (higher end) of speed and the ground was slightly wet (rained earlier in the night, but was drying by then). As soon as these tires touched the wetness, my car spun out and did a 180 degree turn in the middle of the highway...

I have never had this problem with the Bridgestones... I even have phone video of myself doing 120 in the snow...

Long story short, that is why I said I was nervous about them and called them shitty. Other than that, I do like them (road noise, bumps, etc...).
Old 12-28-2006 | 03:37 AM
Daily Driver '01 CLS

I must admit that the Yokohama Avids are decent, they're not the best, but tire wear and overall grip on dry roads are pretty firm. When I first got these tires on I would probably do about 90 around slight turns on I-30 in Dallas, TX while raining a pretty good amount. Not the safest thing to do but just wanted to experience the grip of these Avids and they did pretty good.

I still don't understand how slight wetness caused you to spin 180 on the highway? It could be the tires but just sounds like as if you slipped on a banana peel. Metaphorically

By the way, have you had your transmission replaced? I also have an 01 Cl-S and just wondering if you had your transmission replaced. That is probably the only concern I have of CLs.
Old 12-28-2006 | 05:13 AM
Got DEP???

I am on my third tranny in my CLP.
I bought the car used at 54k and it didn't go out until around 80k and had it replaced at 86k and the replacement had a bad differential, so they replaced that again at 98,850.

I'm not sure of exactly how, but I think it was from going from dry to a wet surface while pulling out hard from the on ramp... Was stupidity none the less, but I never experienced anything like that with my old tires
Old 12-30-2006 | 01:50 AM
AWD Torque Monster

Originally Posted by redsly
I even have phone video of myself doing 120 in the snow...
Old 12-30-2006 | 12:42 PM
Got DEP???

just saying how my other tires seemed to be much better...