’03 Limited 4runner- Week 1 review

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 12:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
’03 Limited 4runner- Week 1 review

Hello all,

I have had my Galactic Grey Mica V8 Limited 4x4 4runner now for one week and I wanted to write up a short review of what I think. These are just my first thoughts.

First of all, coming from an Acura CL-S, this truck is quite a change for me. My only other experience with an SUV is the 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 limited that I had.

After one week with the 4runner, I am quite impressed. It is quite a comfortable ride and the XREAS suspension significantly improves the handling of corners. This is something that I appreciate as the access body roll makes me feel car sick.

The leather seats are also quite nice. They seem to be a little firm and I feel as if I may be sitting too low, but this is a must because I am 6’4”. With the adjustable seats, telescoping and tilt wheel, finding a comfortable position is not too difficult.

The turning radius of this truck is extraordinary. Parking is simple and u-turns are a no-brainer. The on-road and highway ride of this vehicle are also remarkable. The ride is pleasant and the steering is precise. At highway speeds, the interior sound is surprisingly quite with just a hint of wind resistance. The tires are nearly silent. The vehicle does not wander at highway speeds and it is very easy to sit back and enjoy the ride.

The power seems to be fairly adequate. Since I have about 280 miles on the vehicle, I have not had the chance to push it with any authority; however, the torque seems to be there with little resistance. I look forward to breaking it in properly so that I can finally give it some gas.

I have not had the opportunity to test the off-road prowess, but I think it will do well. Ground clearance is my only concern.

The navigation works flawlessly. It was not a necessity for me, but instead a feature which I desired. The functionality of the system is superb and everyone seems to get a kick out of it. I am excited to take the vehicle on a road trip and feel like I can control my presence, wherever I may be.

Now to some of my concerns and slight complaints:

First of all, I don’t think the JBL 10 Speaker system is up to par. The sound resonating from the mid speakers and the subwoofer are almost non-existent. I’m not sure why this is but no adjustments seem to correct the unbalanced sound. On the other hand, the front speakers sound nice.

Second, I miss having memory seats. With all of the options on this $41,5K vehicle, memory seats should be standard. Why they were not included ponders me.

Third, the power window controls are at an odd position. When my seat is all the way back, I have to lean forward to reach them. This is not a big deal, but could have been avoided.

Forth, there is no rear hatch release. I would prefer to have a lever inside the vehicle to open the rear hatch. Also, a button on the key fob would be a welcome replacement. Again, this is no big concern and I will quickly adjust to this.

Fifth, I would like the key fob to be able to put the rear window up. Yes, I can roll it down from 20 feet away, but I have to stick the key in it and hold it clockwise to roll the window back up. Again, this is a simple feature that I feel should have been included.

All in all, I am very happy with my purchase and I recommend the 4runner Limited to anyone who is looking for a creature comfort laden vehicle that combines a nice ride with the true design to be taken off-road.

In my first week with the vehicle, I rate it an 8.8 out of 10.

-Ash
Old 03-25-2003, 01:03 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice review. The 4Runner has always been a pretty good product. Nice sized truck SUV that hasn't been outrageously priced.

Coming from a Toyota family, I've thought about getting one several times in my life over the last couple decades.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woah, you paid $41,500?

That's a little pricey for a 4-Runner.

The looks are starting to grow on me, however, for that much money, I'd rather have a true sport ute, and I'd take the Land Rover Discovery over it in a heartbeat.

It seems that the 4-Runner is more about luxury. For that much money, if I wanted luxury, I'd look into a Lexus sport ute. Better build quality, better service, etc.

Good review.

Thats kinda weird about no release to pop open the back, and about the window not going down without the key in it. That's strange.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:21 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by TypeSKid
Woah, you paid $41,500?
If that's true I retract what I said. The 4Runner used to be a reasonably priced truck/SUV hybrid. If Toyota is using it as a full fledged pseudo-lux SUV then I guess I have not really looked at one in a few years.

It used to be more bare bones - which is what I liked about it.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:26 PM
whoXwanXsum

good review bro. 4 runners are nice but not 41.5 nice. the prices of cars/trucks/suvs is getting out of hand.
Old 03-25-2003, 02:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
mdx, why not?
Old 03-25-2003, 02:23 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

i can understand why they didn't want an auto up in the rear hatch window from the remote. What if there is something sticking out of the window and you accidentally hit the button...

I've always wanted a 4Runner...almost bought one before my integra back in the days. 4X-ing is huge around the Seattle area too...

And regarding that comment about a "true" suv, I think the 4Runner is definitely up to par for that definition. At least it's not a Pilot.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:01 PM
Suzuka Master

i love everything about the new 4runner except the cheap looking exterior!!!!

sidemarker
Old 03-25-2003, 04:17 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by eclipse23
mdx, why not?

It sounds like you really like your 4runner which is all that matters but i'm wondering too, why not the MDX?
Old 03-25-2003, 04:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the comments, guys. First of all, $41,5 was MSRP with every single feature. NAV is very rare on these things. Second, I didn't pay anything close to that so don't worry. I was closer to the mid 30's.

I like the MDX but I wanted something that could tow more and perform better off-road. I also wanted something a little different than the CL-S and the MDX was a little too close for me. Also, I like the 320 Lbs. ft. of torque in the 4runner and the TRD factory warrantied supercharger will be out this summer. It is definitely a possibility.

Sidemarker, I don't think the Limited's have the cheap exterior. You are probably thinking of the SR5 with the plastic cladding which I didn't like either. Mine looks much more refined IMO.

Chikai- the Lexus GX470 is basically a twin of the 4runner. The build quality on the Toyota is said to be better though because it is still built in Japan. Many of the parts are exactly the same.

-Ash