*just* got dinged!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 08:22 AM
Resident DJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*just* got dinged!

I came out to my car this morning to find a nice big scrape & dent along the back-left quarter-panel. D-A-M-N-I-T!!!!!

At least the person who hit me left a note with her insurance and contact info. That was nice... She said in her note that she swerved to miss a squirrell...

Does anyone know of a good shop around Rockville, MD (or anywhere semi-nearby) that can get my baby like new again? I want the new paint to be *perfect*. Should I just take it to the dealer? Thoughts anyone? Thanks...

Old 11-01-2001, 09:05 AM
car wash addict

sad sad sad...i guess its good that it'll be fixed (not sure where you should go...i wanna say the dealer but maybe a good body shop? ) but always makes me sick to see something like that. sorry bro.

Old 11-01-2001, 11:59 AM
Instructor

You could remove the carpeting from the left side trunk and remove the left brake light, then you can try to slowly "pop" dent using pressure on both sides to minimize dimpling. It sould look better than how it is now afterwards, until you get it to a body shop. However a Paintless dent removal place may be able to smooth the dent out. That way all you have to repaint is the bumber.
Old 11-01-2001, 12:09 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by NightHawk
a Paintless dent removal place may be able to smooth the dent out. That way all you have to repaint is the bumber.
The Quarter panel is creased, you’re not going to press that out from the inside.

Shawn S
Old 11-01-2001, 12:17 PM
Instructor

I'm speaking from experience. Some one ran into my car on exactly the same spot but my car had a cover on it so the paint wasn't scratched. Given the dent was about 1/5 the size of that one, I took it to the dent removal guy. I popped out the dent but there were creases, your right about that. However He was able to get all of them out and now it looks as if nothing ever happened. about $100. If/when you do pop out the dent do it slowly so that the paint doesn't crack.
Old 11-01-2001, 12:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
hey, who cares how much...the perp left her number and stuff!

take it to the dealer's body shop.
Old 11-01-2001, 01:11 PM
Banned

She probably wishes she hit the squirrell...
Old 11-01-2001, 02:29 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by mrdeeno
hey, who cares how much...the perp left her number and stuff!
I can hear the scream from D.C. all the way up here in Pa.
skyeflye calls tonight and the line picks up..........Hello Rocco’s Pizza.

Nooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shawn S
Old 11-01-2001, 03:37 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Shawn S

I can hear the scream from D.C. all the way up here in Pa.
skyeflye calls tonight and the line picks up..........Hello Rocco’s Pizza.

Nooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shawn S
Everyone's gotta eat.... :P
Old 11-01-2001, 04:00 PM
Resident DJ

Thanks everyone

LOL!

Thanks for your notes everyone!

Well, the lady (of course) admitted she was at fault, and thank goodness she was insured, and no one was hurt...not even a squirell. :P

The Progressive Insurance Adjuster is coming tonight between 5-7pm. I went to the body shop that my dealer sends all their stuff to and they said it would probably run around $800 to make it good as new.

That's pretty cheap, really.

Hopefully the Progressive person will estimate it accordingly. I should tell him that my Comptech Springs and Sway Bars astoundingly disintegrated upon impact, and I quickly put my stock springs back in this morning so I could get to work? ~j/k~

I'll post pics from the same angle after it's been fixed.

Thanks again!
Old 11-01-2001, 04:09 PM
Old timer

I think after the real dent problems are taken care of, take it to Rosenthal for the paint/scratch fixing, because Denny (their scratchrepair dude) is MAD skilled!

Just my suggestion.
Old 11-01-2001, 04:30 PM
on bin laden

that ain't no ding ...
Old 11-01-2001, 04:48 PM
Race Director

Sorry to hear about your "ding". Like most folks here, I try to park away from other parked cars so that they will not door ding you. But you have to go one step further and not park where people are driving or turning; don't park on the corner where cars constantly turn in; don't park near the entrance/exits.

This was particularly true in Minnesota (winter) where ice was prevalent and anything anyone even turned their wheels, sliding was inevitable. Let them slide into someone's else car, I did this once accidently on the ice, I left a note.

I'd say you were lucky she left a note, most folks would not.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by fbazakos
that ain't no ding ...
LOL! thats exactly what I was saying when he said ding I thought he ment like a door ding.

BTW, silver is a hard color to match and since she gave her insurance info I suggest you take it to the dealer so they can match the paint.
Old 11-02-2001, 06:54 AM
Masshole

Re: *just* got dinged!

Originally posted by skyeflye
I came out to my car this morning to find a nice big scrape & dent along the back-left quarter-panel. D-A-M-N-I-T!!!!!

At least the person who hit me left a note with her insurance and contact info. That was nice... She said in her note that she swerved to miss a squirrell...

Does anyone know of a good shop around Rockville, MD (or anywhere semi-nearby) that can get my baby like new again? I want the new paint to be *perfect*. Should I just take it to the dealer? Thoughts anyone? Thanks...

Jesus...that's no ding...that's a DONG. Make her insurance company pay top dollar for OEM Quality work to fix that abomination.
Old 11-02-2001, 07:13 AM
Resident DJ

Hey all,

I guess I just said "Ding" because it's not as bad as some of the smash-ups other people have had. It' really not that serious. She didn't hit my tire or wheel, and the only 'real' body damage is to the one quarter-panel. She scraped the bumper, but thanks to our car's rock-solid ass, it was only paint damage there. It will require painting so I am taking it to the shop that the dealer sends all their Acuras to (Shannon Auto Body in Gaithersburg, MD). They seemed pretty competent when I stopped by yesterday and I've heard good things about their work from others. There's no telling though. GOD I hate having my car worked on!! If the paint doesn't match up, I'm gonna be peeeeved!!

Progressive Insurance is providing me with a "comparable" vehicle from Enterprise Rent-A-Car while mine's in the shop. "Comparable" ...yeah, right! They better have an Escalade!

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-02-2001, 07:14 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats not a ding...........That would make me throw up