YK520 tires - my experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 08:59 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YK520 tires - my experience

Hi all,

Figured that since I had just gone through this without seeing any real warnings that would have helped me, that I'd make a quick post.

I recently (month and a half ago) bought a set of YK520 tires from Discount Tire for my 2010 TSX. For anyone not familiar, these are made specifically for Discount Tire...and I should have had plenty of warning right there that it was a trap. Anyway, given I'm in Seattle, wet handling needs to be good (and I like to take corners fast, no less) and I go boarding in the winter, so snow handling must also be good, though I have chains for the bad days.

On dry roads, they felt OK, though I noticed the feel of the steering of the car immediately felt a bit more sluggish/loose, but traction was fine. This weekend however we finally got some rain, and I went driving in it...and discovered that on turns, I could very easily cause the car to start sliding, and cause the stability control to go off. I started to experiment some and found that to go through a turn without sliding, I had to be going less than 10mph, pretty much. Any faster and I could feel it sliding. Above 15 and the stability control kicked in. And when I say sliding, I mean this: take a 90 degree turn on packed snow/ice at speed, and the whole car will slide. Now imagine doing that on a wet road that doesn't even have a puddle.

Long story short, I went back to discount tire, showed them my receipt and told them the wet traction was bad, and they offered to allow me to swap out for another set and pay the difference, no further questions asked. I've got some new Pilot A/S Pluses coming in on Friday to be installed...

I figured I'd post this so that hopefully someone else considering those tires, and likely the new YK580s, will find this and at least dig deeper then. And props to Discount Tire for handling this so well!

Does anyone else have experience with these tires?
Old 11-01-2011, 03:04 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats crazy man. I loved my Yokohama YK520s, bought them for both of my cars.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Will agree with OP. YK520s are not great tires. they're a minimal improvement at best over stock. Had them when the still had a 60K mi warranty, which they no longer have as Yokahama had many complaints that the tire did not last the 60K that they are warranty for. For the price, i'd rather spend on a different set.

I'd go with Bridgestone 960s ( Im using this and i love it, 970s are the new one) or the continental DWS. Both great tires. But if it's for snow, you should really get a dedicated snow set. 16" Steelies + snow tires are best for our car with a smaller width and taller sidewall that matches the outer diameter of the stock size.