Wheel manufacturer comparison

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 08:50 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel manufacturer comparison

All,

I'm still working on which wheels I want for my Meteor Silver TSX (tough color to buy wheels for), and I have it narrowed down to some 15 wheels (that's narrowed down???) They are by 8 (or 9?) different manufacturers and range in price from $170 to $399. My questions to you all are related to manufacturers and the quality of their wheels. The manufacturers and wheels are:

Volk (Rays) - GT-C, GT-P
G-Games (also Rays) - 77 Sidewinder
Racing Hart and RH Evolution - C2 Evo, C4 Evo, CX Evo, and C5 Kai
SSR - GT1
Shuk - BS1, W21
O.Z. - Record, Superlegerra
Konig - Next, Appeal
ASA - AR1

I have seen one post that says RH Evolution s are cheap knock-offs of Racing Hart, but some vendors sell the Evos as Racing Hart. Are they just a lower priced version by the same manufacturer, or are they truly from a different company? Do any of you have good or bad tips regarding the quality of any of these guys? I know that Konig and ASA are less expensive wheels, but does that mean they're to be avoided?

While we're at it I could use some advice on who to buy them from. I like TireRack and Discount Tire Direct, but they don't offer some of my favorites. What do you guys know about RDM Wheels and RevHigh Online?

Thanks for the help.

landerso
Old 06-25-2004, 09:53 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I've never heard of ASA or Shuk, seems like tirerack is the main seller for those

I think the consensus is that RH Evo is a lower brand made by Hart Racing (maker of Racing Hart).

Volk, Rays, SSR and OZ all have good track records for wheels. High quality stuff. Konig is one of the best American wheel companies, their wheels are pretty durable I believe.

tirerack is probably the most expensive prices you'll find anywhere, but they offer a good service, includes tuner lug nuts, hub centric rings and good customer service. plus if you get tires there I believe you get free mounting and balancing. other places will be cheaper (try importgroupbuy for the JDM wheels?), but might be harder to deal with in the long run.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:59 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

asa sucks. i think they sell that at pep boys.

rh evolution is not a knock off per say, evolution is a one piece, cast wheel made in taiwan. but it still carries the racing hart name, under dazz motorsports.

racing hart's were IN a couple of years back, but now, it's not that great

everyone's into volk racing, and advan. i think you should get what you want. the only benefit of volks are that they are forged, so they're stronger and lighter. but they cost a fortune in comparison to the cheaper cast wheels.

cast wheels are more suscepible to cracking. and heavy as heck, especially if you get an upsize wheel.

SSM TSx's look good with a polished wheel, but you can make it look mean by picking a gunmetal wheel.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:25 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

well the Volk GT series are cast, the rest are forged
Old 06-25-2004, 11:12 AM
Burning Brakes

hmm.... I would say

1: Volk Racing, Yokohama, Mugen, Buddy Club, BBS

2: Racing Hart, OZ, SSR

The rest... 3rd or lower....
Old 06-25-2004, 12:13 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the help folks - keep it comin'

A little more info: The Volk GT wheels have cast centers but forged rims, as do the Shuk. Both are true two piece wheels, so I'm not against the rivets. I don't like them much when they're just for show, but on multi-piece they're ok.

I noticed nobody said anything about the G-Games.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:17 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I love g-games, good maker, reasonable cast weight. My order would be g-games, ssr, volk gt-series, konig, et al. I'm not a fan of ASA of Shuk as I've never heard of them on any import car ever.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:26 PM
Registered AssHat

Isn't G-Games or maybe it's G-Racing (friggin' G-tastic...damn near like XP and Xtreme wera few years ago) a Ray's company (a.l.a Volk)
Old 06-25-2004, 12:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
Isn't G-Games or maybe it's G-Racing (friggin' G-tastic...damn near like XP and Xtreme wera few years ago) a Ray's company (a.l.a Volk)
G-Games is rays
Old 06-25-2004, 12:39 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

maybe i should've said "brand" instead of "maker", its all relative
Old 06-25-2004, 12:43 PM
cmf
ATCer

Try something different and go for the Prodrives. I think ACCSuperstar was gonna get em, but got the Volks instead. They have em in a silver/ polished style, which would look good on an MSM. Regardless of what wheel you get, it should be silver since your car has that tint of blue to it.
In regards to what you listed above, I would go with any make of Rays wheels (Volk, G Games) I believe you get what you pay for. Someone above mentioned Buddy Club as well, you may wanna check those out. Very durable wheels, and they have some with a really nice polished lip as well. Also, Advan/ Yokohama has several differnt style wheels that look good.

While I would never order from these guys because I had problems with them before, here is a link with several Import wheel companies listed. http://wheeloptions.com/main.html

Shop around for pricing through several tuner shops. I bought my Advans through Shinestreet, which was the cheapest price I could get. "Dzuy" has a hook-up for wheels, maybe he could help you out with your final choice for good pricing. My.02