What are pillow mounts and what are they for?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
What are pillow mounts and what are they for?

http://heeltoeauto.com/httech/YaBB.p...1178820833/0#0

With the advent of more advanced suspension systems coming available, many companies are offering new features to their kits which compound comparison of one kit to another. Once such feature is the Pillow Upper Mount. This article will tell you what a pillow mount is, what they are good for, and what drawbacks they can carry. This article is written for the layperson with a street sports or mild performance car.

What is a Pillow Upper Mount?

A picture speaks a thousand words:

This image depicts a set of pillow upper mounts sold by Tein. There are four mounts on any given car. These mounts are designed to bolt onto the top of the damper assembly and allow installation onto the chassis. The center hole is where the shock mounts, and the studs poking up provide mounting to the chassis:

On MacPherson Strut type suspensions, such as on the WRX or RSX, we see that the pillow mount takes on a different form, occasionally allowing for camber adjustment:

Note, the Camber adjustment option will only be available on MacPherson strut cars, where the damper assembly functions as a suspension member! Double-wishbone cars such as the EG Civic or TSX will not have camber adjustable pillow mounts, as such an adjustment would not be of any effectiveness.

Why are pillow mounts good?

The upper pillow mount houses a spherical bearing where the damper will fasten to. This bearing provides a more rigid mount than the standard rubber bushings on a stock vehicle. With a a more rigid mount, the shock will move more accurately and provide a more linear and direct feedback to the chassis. The effect of adding pillow mounts is very similar to adding low profile tires, or tires with very stiff sidewalls. Road feedback is very good, steering can feel much more sharp, and the ability to control the vehicle improves.

What are the drawbacks of upper pillow mounts?

Upper mounts can be more noisy than stock and add to the choppiness of the ride. Rubber bushings are used by automakers because they are cheap, quiet, and soft. They provide an isolation to road irregularities. Similar to our low-profile tire reference above, pillow mounts will transmit more road noise and small bumps into the chassis. It does not make the suspension more stiff, but the suspension feels more stiff because more road irregularities are felt and heard.

Is there a compromise?

There are a few alternatives to going with a full rigid upper mount.

Some companies offer rubber upper mounts, like this one standard on the Tein CS:

The rubber bushings used here are firmer than stock, decreasing the squishiness of the mount a little.

Honda offers a metal-reinforced bushing on Type-R and S2000 vehicles that practically eliminate play in the bushing, but still provide a level of comfort not available on the full rigid mounts:

Skunk2 offers a replacement upper mount that utilizes polyurethane bushings. These are much harder than rubber mounts and only offer a fraction of comfort over rigid mounts, but these are a good choice as a very effective and less expensive option:

We hope this article clears the air a little on the topic of pillow mounts!

Marcus
Old 05-10-2007, 01:53 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
Some companies offer rubber upper mounts, like this one standard on the Tein CS:

The rubber bushings used here are firmer than stock, decreasing the squishiness of the mount a little.

Honda offers a metal-reinforced bushing on Type-R and S2000 vehicles that practically eliminate play in the bushing, but still provide a level of comfort not available on the full rigid mounts:

Í have fully tuned my Buddy Club Racing Spec Damper last week, it feels very comfortable (compare to b4 on full stiff) yet the handling is still great. I would like to know if I want to soften up the ride a bit, or less choppy. Should I go for those Metal-reinforced bushing? Or go for a lower-rate spring? The rubber upper mounts from TEIN CS looks like a rigid metal upper mount w/ 2 black circle rubber zeal, is that what you call rubber upper mount? Or the whole thing (incl. the golden part) is actually rubber as well???

In your opinion, which is the MOST cost effective way to soften up the ride while remains its sharp/stiff characteristic????

Nice post up. Thanks
Old 05-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
The CS mounts are not available off of the damper kit....so you can stop there But, if you look between the washer on the shocks shaft and the gold plate, there are rubber bushings in there. The metal plate is just for the spring to go onto. There is still a bushing where the shock goes through. The black ring is so that the metal plate has an isolator against the metal chassis.

Soft ride = soft springs
Sharp and responsive = rigid mounts, rigid chassis

In the end, the dampers play a big role as well. If they are tuned wrong it makes a huge impact on ride versus handling.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:05 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the info, Btw, I feel much more comfortable riding on FLex w/ Tein rigid pillow mounts than SS (OEM rubber upper mounts).
Old 05-10-2007, 02:12 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
The CS mounts are not available off of the damper kit....so you can stop there But, if you look between the washer on the shocks shaft and the gold plate, there are rubber bushings in there. The metal plate is just for the spring to go onto. There is still a bushing where the shock goes through. The black ring is so that the metal plate has an isolator against the metal chassis.

Soft ride = soft springs
Sharp and responsive = rigid mounts, rigid chassis

In the end, the dampers play a big role as well. If they are tuned wrong it makes a huge impact on ride versus handling.
Thanks for your explanation Marcus. I haven't touch the pre-load spring rate so I guess I should be fine. The damper on my coilover right now is fully function (alot better than cold winter days), from Full Stiff to Full Soft. It just that it never had the OEM feel whenever rolling over un-even paved road or over some bump. Am I asking too much???
Old 05-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by chuson
Am I asking too much???
Unfortunatly I think so. I am not a suspension expert and I can't stress that enough, but I have owned suspensions ranging from oem (full rubber) tein flex (full metal pillowball) and tein cs (pillowball w/ rubber upper mounts), and that has been enough for me to feel this difference firsthand. Currently, using the Tein CS suspension, I can say the rubber upper mounts do make a noticeable difference to quiet the road feedback (you'll still feel it, its just not as noisy) and dampen it just slightly.

To show it again, I took a picture of the CS and Flex top mounts side-by-side: