Tokico's and Koni's a unlikely match?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 07:48 AM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Tokico's and Koni's a unlikely match?

I started to think,

Would this idea work and solve my current suspension issues with my TSX? I am currently lowered on a set of RS*R down springs in which I ordered from Japan, they lowered the vehicle 1.5”F 1.3”R respectively, they settled to about a stance which is very similar to the Tein S-Techs, 1.6F 1.4R. The back is about a finger clearance from the rear fender and the tire, the front is about two finger clearance. The Tokico struts are my biggest concern, they handle bumps in the road pretty good however they don’t settle well at cruising speeds and at low speeds they become extremely bouncy and kind of annoying.

To get to the point I was doing some browsing on Heel-Toe Automotive, and saw you could buy Koni’s in pairs (just the front, and or just the rear). Would it be safe to pick up the Koni Yellows for just the front, as they would settle the car a-lot better over bump! also I would be able to lower it that extra 2cm’s in the front, so I would have a about one finger clearance in the front, thus improve the overall look (I always thought the front could go a tad bit lower) and it would also solve that un-settling feeling I get from the front end! Also I would be leaving the Tokico blues in the rear?

Just to explain in further detail the unsettling feeling experienced is; say you’re driving on a relatively smooth road that does not have many pot-holes or major dips in the road, just relatively small bumps and dips (no streets perfectly flat). The car never really seems to settle in the front, at night the HID’s seem to keep bouncing up and down and they never settle.

Any input?
Old 09-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would suggest getting the Koni's all around and selling your whole set of Tokico's in the classified section, nobody runs mismatched struts front and rear.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:58 PM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeC1982
I would suggest getting the Koni's all around and selling your whole set of Tokico's in the classified section, nobody runs mismatched struts front and rear.
Thats true, as its going to be harder to sell individual pieces. I am looking at a set of H&R Coil-overs I guess I can wait.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
I'd say it would be ok to run different shocks front and rear (they are shocks no struts ) if you did it right.

You'd see a more performance benefit upgrading the rears, not the fronts. It would help the car be more stable and control body movements more than replacing the front. The front upgrade with help with high speed stability and more confident/connected feeling in turns.

This is a big reason why we really recommend the Koni for upgraded springs, and Tokicos for stock replacement duty.

Marcus