TL type s rims

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 09:26 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL type s rims

I got the TL type s rims for my tsx. They're reps so they're naturally darker than the real ones. Could I buy the NH643M spray paint (gun metal anthracite) and paint it on?

I'm thinking 400 grit sandpaper to get rid of the black, clean and primer then put the gun metal anthracite on and Clea coat after that. Is this possible
Old 01-31-2016, 01:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
Originally Posted by kovalchoke
I got the TL type s rims for my tsx. They're reps so they're naturally darker than the real ones. Could I buy the NH643M spray paint (gun metal anthracite) and paint it on?

I'm thinking 400 grit sandpaper to get rid of the black, clean and primer then put the gun metal anthracite on and Clea coat after that. Is this possible

?? Why would it not be possible.

If you feel like you can succesfully paint wheels, then go for it. You'll need to prep, prime, spray, and clear coat.

However...paint on wheels will almost always chip off fairly easily no matter how well you do it. Powdercoat is a better application for wheels.

I think certain NAPA parts stores sell pre-mixed OEM paint colors. They will even put it in an aerosol can for you.

Trying to get rid of the old black color via sand paper is a bad idea. That would take you a million years. There are places that will sand blast for you. Its cheap, usually.

There are also places that will sandblast and powdercoat for you. Its usually NOT cheap.

Why did you buy replicas in an undesirable colour? It may have been much easier/not much more expensive to just buy TL-S wheels. They're everywhere and they're cheap. I got my set for $600.

Last edited by BROlando; 01-31-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have spray painted wheels before. Let me tell you, it turned out pretty great, actually. I sanded the wheels down using fine grit sand paper. Then i cleaned th wheels, used a self etching primer, color coat, and a top clear coat. These were 18x8.75 and i probably used 2-3 cans of each step of paint for all the wheels. Like FULL CANS, nothing left.

Turned out nice, but it took FOREVER with the prep and sanding. Like days/ weeks working on it a couple hours a few days a week. They were nice enough to trade into a dealer and i even got complements on them. The key is the prep work.