Which tires should I get ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which tires should I get ??

Hi guys, went for 64k sevice yesterday and they said that my tires have only 20% tread left.
Therefore I have to replace 4 tires soon.
I wonder if you guys have any suggestion on which brand/tires model should I go for. I'm using the stock rim, which uses 215/50R17 tires. I'm looking for 4-seasons tires.
I don't want to buy the stock michelin tires anymore, since they are no good at all. I found on some website and there is a new tire model call Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position, i wonder if that's good or not.

Thanks guys
Old 08-19-2006, 07:30 PM
無限 本田 CL9

almost any tire is an improvment from stocks in terms of traction but they wont last no 64,000 miles like your stockers did.. whats your budget?
Old 08-19-2006, 08:56 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just put Bridgestone Turanza LS-V's on my TSX. I can't say enough good things about them. My sister also put them on her '03 Accord about 50,000 miles ago and they still look brand new. Wet and dry tranction is excellent and they are silent when inside the cabin. I got mine for about $800 after all was said and done.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:58 PM
Instructor

sorry for misunderstanding...actually i mean 64k km instead of miles.... sorry for being not precise in my previous post :p
i live in van, canada... dealer quote me the price of ~280 cad/tire (stock one)
my budget is anything near that price.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Intermediate

go for bridgestone turanza LS-V. i used it for my TL and they were excellent in dry and wet condition. cost $850 CAD for 4 of them (taxes incl.)
Old 08-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Racer

I'm pretty happy with the Continental ContiExtremeContacts that I went with on mine. They're not as good as the Yokohoma Avid V4S in dry conditions (probably about 90% as good) but vastly surpass them in wet and snow conditions.

Also, in stock size -or- any size for that matter, the Conti's are A LOT cheaper than the stock Michelins.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bbdc
go for bridgestone turanza LS-V. i used it for my TL and they were excellent in dry and wet condition. cost $850 CAD for 4 of them (taxes incl.)
What year is your TL? My dad wanted to get them for his TL but we couldn't find them in the correct dimensions. His is a 2005...
Old 08-21-2006, 09:00 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by evo_to_tsx
almost any tire is an improvment from stocks in terms of traction but they wont last no 64,000 miles like your stockers did.. whats your budget?
Weird how I only have 34,000 km on my car and my stockers are already making shreking noise when I turn at 40-45 mph haha.. or am I turn to fast lol..
Old 10-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Advanced

It does not appear that any of you are taking into consideration that the TSX requires XL load rated tires. The Pirelli M & S do not come in XL, neither do AVids. Read the tests on Tirerack and see how the Conti's do, Not that well, and are noiser than some with a "soft" feel. I can't imagine the Avids having good dry traction. The OEM Mich's HXMX tested very good in dry handling at Tirerack, but they fall short in the wet and price. The Mich Xalto PE2's come in XL and have great test results but you have to get 225/45. The RE960's also offer a XL in OEM size. The XL has a stiffer sidewall, giving better traction, less sidewall flex.
Tire companies are losing out in this market. I would like more choices in OEM size and XL rated Sometimes a heavier tire or a wider tire can affect your gas mileage. Heavier can affect handling - OEM's are 23 pounds apiece. RE960 - 25 pounds I may get the RE960's but for a summer tire, I may go for the Dunlop Super Maxx - $106 ea at Tirerack. Don't last too long but as a summer tire, the tests are great.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:24 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

I bot Avon M550's at Tire Rack for about $102 each and love them. They're not XL load rated, not many tires are, so to get a similar sidewall stiffness they take about 4 psi more air (36/34 fr/rr). Dry, wet, and snow traction blow the OEM Michelins away for about half the price.

As for summer tires, I've read a lot of good reviews of Kumho's MX, and they're very well priced around $100, too.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:49 PM
Advanced

The Avons are a bit heavy at 26 pounds. Another part of the XL is the weight they can support. I believe the Avons are actually XL in the 225/45 size The TSX is a bit hefty and that may be part of the reason Acura put an XL rated tire on it. The Kumho SPT comes in OEM size, are XL, weigh no more than OEM and actually test on Tirerack better than the Kumho MX and are $87 apiece. SInce I live in Florida, I would prefer the Potenza 960as pole position or the Mich PE2 (which get raves for wet traction and have better lap times in the wet than some tires do in dry). They are $ less than the 960as but still a bit pricey. At $106 apiece, the Dunlop Sport Maxx some appeal. I am a bit leary of the Kumhos as the reviews are mixed. How do the Avons compare to the OEM for smooth ride and sound level to OEM which is pretty good. The OEM's are really smooth as I have had them at 110 plus for a brief time and it felt like 60.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Advanced

I think the 960as are too much overpriced for what they offer. As others said, go for the Bridgestone Turanza LS-V. I know quite a few people who have them and have gotten roughly 70,000 out of them...although this would vary i assume. They offer the smoothest and quietest ride quality for the price, and good snow/rain traction for a 4 season tire.
The 960as are good I bet as well, but you're gonna spend 100 bucks more for something that I'm not sure is worth it.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:05 AM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by Shorei
The Avons are a bit heavy at 26 pounds...How do the Avons compare to the OEM for smooth ride and sound level to OEM which is pretty good.
The Avons (in 215/50/17) are 25 lbs, +2 lbs to oems. For ride comfort and smoothness, they exceed the Michelins partly due to the 91 vs. 94 load rating -- slightly more compliant sidewall. If you put +4 psi in the Avons, they ride and turn in similar to the oems. Sound level is about the same, maybe just a little quieter over some surfaces than the oem.

I did have a hard time finding a highly-rated a/s tire that was as light as the Michelins.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:19 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by chrisb55
I think the 960as are too much overpriced for what they offer. As others said, go for the Bridgestone Turanza LS-V. I know quite a few people who have them and have gotten roughly 70,000 out of them...although this would vary i assume. They offer the smoothest and quietest ride quality for the price, and good snow/rain traction for a 4 season tire.
The 960as are good I bet as well, but you're gonna spend 100 bucks more for something that I'm not sure is worth it.

With the 103.5 feet stopping distance in the wet from 50 for the Turanza compared to 87.6 feet -(Tirerack test) for the 960AS, I think that 16 feet might come in handy sometime and could prevent an accident in the rain. The price is only $10 more. Dry handling is a tad better with the OEM and the Turanza but wet handling is much better with the potenza. The Uni-T technology is supposed to maintain the handling throughout the wear as well (so they claim). I suppose if one wants the touring tire's characteristics, the Turanza is really close to OEM but weighs 3 more pounds unsprung weight at each wheel. It woud be a good replacement at less cost.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:49 AM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by Shorei
With the 103.5 feet stopping distance in the wet from 50 for the Turanza compared to 87.6 feet -(Tirerack test) for the 960AS, I think that 16 feet might come in handy sometime and could prevent an accident in the rain. The price is only $10 more. Dry handling is a tad better with the OEM and the Turanza but wet handling is much better with the potenza. The Uni-T technology is supposed to maintain the handling throughout the wear as well (so they claim). I suppose if one wants the touring tire's characteristics, the Turanza is really close to OEM but weighs 3 more pounds unsprung weight at each wheel. It woud be a good replacement at less cost.
The Pirelli P-Zero Nero A/S is a highly-rated and light-weight tire, although it doesn't come in 215/50/17 but you can get close. This was a close second to the Avons I bought, because of it's good rating and light weight. About $25/tire more than the Avons.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Advanced

What would you recommend for the best all-season tire, that provides the best rain/ light snow traction, quietness, and tread life: The Bridgestone Turanza LS-V or the Bridgestone Potenza 960as??

Seeing that now it's only a $10 price difference on the tires...

TireRack hasn't shown any figures on the snow traction of the 960as....
Old 10-20-2006, 07:17 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

What's this summer tyre business?
Any proper decent tyre worth it's salt will be designed to handle all weather conditions unless it's a semi-slick racing tyre - Toyo 888's.
Anyway, I've stuck Toyo T1-R's on the back end of the Accord (your TSX model) and will either do the same for the fronts or go with either of Goodyear F1 GSD3's or Avon's ZZ3, unless the Yoko AVS Sports or Paradas can be found for similar money.
I forget what the Avon ZZ3s are called over there - they're part of the Cooper Tire Group. I think I found it once before in another of my posts - a quick search for Avon ZZ3 and my name will bring it up, I'm sure.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:23 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PJS
What's this summer tyre business?
Any proper decent tyre worth it's salt will be designed to handle all weather conditions unless it's a semi-slick racing tyre - Toyo 888's.
Anyway, I've stuck Toyo T1-R's on the back end of the Accord (your TSX model) and will either do the same for the fronts or go with either of Goodyear F1 GSD3's or Avon's ZZ3, unless the Yoko AVS Sports or Paradas can be found for similar money.
I forget what the Avon ZZ3s are called over there - they're part of the Cooper Tire Group. I think I found it once before in another of my posts - a quick search for Avon ZZ3 and my name will bring it up, I'm sure.
All season tires are designed to handle light snow as well. Where you are, the only tire sold there would be summer tires.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:08 AM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Not quite - we see snow as well, but the bulk of tyres sold, inc ones seemingly sold as summer only are fine for winter use.
If you need to move snow, then you're talking very specifically about a snow tyre or putting show chains on.
As per my post above - any of the aforementioned will perform admirably in all weather conditions, except the heavy snow.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:31 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by PJS
Not quite - we see snow as well, but the bulk of tyres sold, inc ones seemingly sold as summer only are fine for winter use.
If you need to move snow, then you're talking very specifically about a snow tyre or putting show chains on.
As per my post above - any of the aforementioned will perform admirably in all weather conditions, except the heavy snow.
do not run a summer-only tire even in small amounts of snow/sleet. not only is the tread shape poor for channeling snow, but the tire compound also performs poorly in low temperatures. summer-only tires turn into blocks off hard rubber in freezing temps.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:18 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Unless the compound is tweaked for your neck of the woods, then this naming convention (marketing malarky) of 'summer tyres' is bo11ocks.
I see many a Porsche driver in sleet/snow/freezing temps with guess what? Yep, the same tyres on their car that were on in the summer.
Equally, the same applies for Volvo owners, Ford owners, Subaru owners, etc......as you can see, there is a repeating pattern here.
Now, where snow drifts are 3ft plus, and temps -10ºC or lower, then I'm fully with you on 'winter' spec tyres for obvious reasons.

My point is thus - forget the marketing bull, all tyres are designed for all weather conditions except the harsh winter some of you guys see. That's why they have tread patterns - which if you look at the various manufacturers' sites, you'll see their better tyres (labelled as 'summer') are their premium design for water evacuation.
You can also be sure the compound is fully stable and as grippy from -5 (if not lower) and up.
It's only when the weather is really adverse that there's a need for winter tyres, with their narrower width also aiding traction on compacted snow.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PJS
Unless the compound is tweaked for your neck of the woods, then this naming convention (marketing malarky) of 'summer tyres' is bo11ocks.
I see many a Porsche driver in sleet/snow/freezing temps with guess what? Yep, the same tyres on their car that were on in the summer.
Equally, the same applies for Volvo owners, Ford owners, Subaru owners, etc......as you can see, there is a repeating pattern here.
Now, where snow drifts are 3ft plus, and temps -10ºC or lower, then I'm fully with you on 'winter' spec tyres for obvious reasons.

My point is thus - forget the marketing bull, all tyres are designed for all weather conditions except the harsh winter some of you guys see. That's why they have tread patterns - which if you look at the various manufacturers' sites, you'll see their better tyres (labelled as 'summer') are their premium design for water evacuation.
You can also be sure the compound is fully stable and as grippy from -5 (if not lower) and up.
It's only when the weather is really adverse that there's a need for winter tyres, with their narrower width also aiding traction on compacted snow.

"Summer" tires - why does the Tire Rack call them that and say they are not for freezing temparatures? They get hard and slick. therefor they are mostly for "summer" weather" as up north it can get down to near freezing in fall an spring as well.
When I lived in Wisconsin, I was less informed about "summer tires" and wanted a good handling tire. My car was terrible in light snow compared to the all season tires I had previously. High performance, non all season tires, handle better in dry and wet than all season when temparatures are above freezing. I have the experience to say this is true. Check the tests on tire rack - these guys test the tires so they have better knowledge. The TSX handles great in dry weather with the OEM - they are "all season" touring tires. They are not so good in the rain. Car and Driver has the TXS at .85 on the g-force skid pad in their introductory test. And based on driving it on curvy roads and taking 35 MPH curves at 50 + I'd say that is about right. Just compare the "summer" tires to the all season in the tests. So don't call them "summer" call them "high performance" but they are not for freezing or near freezing temps and definitely not for snow, even light snow. Henxce "summer"
Old 10-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by PJS

it sounds like you're not from north america, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but you're completely wrong. maybe things are different on your side of the globe, but summer tires are for summer, end of story
Old 10-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Instructor

Im just in the market for new tires.. found nails on 3 of the 4 tires.. darn construction across the street !

any opinion on good year assurance comfortred ? i read the reviews on tirerack.. but anyone have any personal experience ?
Old 10-21-2006, 10:49 PM
Advanced

For a TSX?? Read Tire racks tests. You don't want a lesser handling, riding car.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:28 PM
Advanced

I tried to order the Continental COntiextremecontact for my tsx from tirerack and they wouldnt sell them to me since the TSX requires a XL load rating. I have had the Yokohama V4S and they are fair. I head the 960 pole positions are badass according to my friend that has HFP silverstars on his accord.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:31 AM
10th Gear

Great Tires are Likened to an Insurance Policy...

About the quality of tires, ask yourself how important is your life to you. This sounds a bit overdramatic but when you consider that the only mechanical adhesion between your 3400 lb car and the tarmac are four "hand sized" patches of rubber, which isn't alot. Keeping this relatively small tire "footprint" in mind, here is a simple and generalized concept most people can wrap their head around: high mileage tires = hard rubber compound, and high performance tires (VR, ZR, YR, etc. rating) = softer rubber compound. In emergency stopping, the obvious choice is soft rubber compound. Diverging a bit to behavior, lets face it, we all think we are great drivers but how many times have any of us just lost attention for a fraction of a moment for whatever reason and then you have a "heart stopping" moment? If you've never, you likely have the ability to "part the Red Sea" but if you have, you're an imperfect human like the balance of the population. So back to tires, softer or harder tires, what makes sense now? Case in point, December 2005 Car & Driver published a "high performance" tire test where in wet conditions, the worst tire tested for this one exercise (the Kumho Ecsta) required 101 feet to stop from 50 mph to 0 mph, and the best tire (the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3) only required 86 feet. The delta of 15 ft in my opinion is too great to ignore. 15 feet could mean the difference between injuring or killing someone else in your 3400 lb vehicle or not. Reading through this thread, many have listed tires and brands that I would not even consider. If the tire you buy is not a top-of-the-line tire from Michelin (PS-2), Goodyear (Eagle F1 GS-D3), etc., then in your time of need, you WILL find out just how good your tires are, or suffer the consequence. Lastly, great tires are like life insurance; a rational family man buys $1M+ (or as much as possible) in life insurance for his wife & kids right? Why not apply that same mentality to tires since it affects life & limb to a great degree. Sorry for being so wordy guys but this is a important topic to me. Cheer all!
Old 10-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by lucky_doggg7
About the quality of tires, ask yourself how important is your life to you.

To put a sharper point on this; if the correctly spec'd tire for the TSX will cost you between 10-to-25% more or about $15-to-$40 more per tire... duhhhhh!

Everyone has made or will make a bad buying decision. But to quote that famous expert on human nature Forrest Gump, "Stupid is as stupid does..."
Old 10-22-2006, 12:28 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lucky_doggg7
Case in point, December 2005 Car & Driver published a "high performance" tire test where in wet conditions, the worst tire tested for this one exercise (the Kumho Ecsta) required 101 feet to stop from 50 mph to 0 mph, and the best tire (the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3) only required 86 feet.
http://www.goodyeartires.com/eagle/p...3_article1.pdf
Old 10-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Advanced

They make a goodyear triple tread that fits our car now, and i would reccomend that tire to any. avid VS4 are nice too for all season.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:04 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by darcheeseTSX04
They make a goodyear triple tread that fits our car now, and i would reccomend that tire to any. avid VS4 are nice too for all season.
I'm a fan of the TripleTred after having them on our minivan for the past 7500 miles, and they're highly rated as a performance all-season tire that does well in the snow. In looking up the specs at tirerack and on Goodyear's site, I only saw an "H" rated tire (93H) in our size, though it did carry the XL rating. It's a very sharp-looking tire that I think does more for our van's handling than its brother, the ComforTred, would, and I don't have any issues with its road noise.

Tirerack's tests of the TripleTread were done an '06 BMW, though I believe it was a different model BMW than they did their Turanza LS-V, Potenza960 and Goodyear ResponsEdge tests on. Out of all these tires, it looks like the Potenza 960 had the highest performance numbers. What stands out in my memory is that the 960's had the shortest 50-->0 braking distance, both wet and dry, of all the tires mentioned in my post, including the TripleTred. When the time comes to replace, I'm leaning toward the 960 as it has the same treadwear, traction and mileage warranty as the LS-V. If I can't get the 960, then I'll look at the LS-V.