Tire buying question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 01:16 PM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tire buying question

Hey guys,

I am currently in need of two rear tires for my TSX, the front ones (OEM 215/50/17 - 93V) have about 40 to 50% left, and I really don't want to get those Michelin Pilot MXM4 to match. I had to learn the hard way that these tires suck!

Anyway, from my understanding, I know the speed rating have to match the front ones (V) but i'm confused about the load index as they are not many 93 out there. My question is, do I have to match the load index? If not, will 95 or 91 be ok? (I can't find that answer anywhere)

Also, do you guys have any suggestion on tires around $100 or below? I'm looking for an all-season to match the front ones, not worry about snow since I have snow tires. The plan is to keep them until the front wears out and then change all four later, so longetivity is not an issue.

I'm currently looking into the Falken ZE-912, then again, they are 91 load index... what do you think?

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Fresher the Better

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 Load Index is below the 93 OE XL spec, so I would not recommend anything less, but you could get by with a 91 provided you keep the tires properly inflated and don't overload the car. Also, few people will recommend mixing and matching tires, even though they are the same on each axel.

Why not just bite the bullet and get four Hankook Ventus V12 evo's? They are less than $100 each. You could also get the General Exclaim UHPs which will last a little longer than the Hankooks, but which give up some handling for better ride-quality. But don't mix them with the OE Michelins.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Site Lurker, Rare poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
^ Agree with the above, including the recommendations. The UHP are on back order nationwide until the end of this month from most places I talked to. I wound up getting the Toyo Proxes 4 which I love. I would definitely recommend just upgrading all of them at once since you save time and money that way, not to mention the OE tires aren't the best so I wouldn't bother mixing and matching tires.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:41 PM
gistered User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TLAwesome
91 Load Index is below the 93 OE XL spec, so I would not recommend anything less, but you could get by with a 91 provided you keep the tires properly inflated and don't overload the car. Also, few people will recommend mixing and matching tires, even though they are the same on each axel.

Why not just bite the bullet and get four Hankook Ventus V12 evo's? They are less than $100 each. You could also get the General Exclaim UHPs which will last a little longer than the Hankooks, but which give up some handling for better ride-quality. But don't mix them with the OE Michelins.
+1 on the Hankooks-terrific summer tire.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:38 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by amdj
Hey guys,

I am currently in need of two rear tires for my TSX, the front ones (OEM 215/50/17 - 93V) have about 40 to 50% left, and I really don't want to get those Michelin Pilot MXM4 to match. I had to learn the hard way that these tires suck!

Anyway, from my understanding, I know the speed rating have to match the front ones (V) but i'm confused about the load index as they are not many 93 out there. My question is, do I have to match the load index? If not, will 95 or 91 be ok? (I can't find that answer anywhere)

Also, do you guys have any suggestion on tires around $100 or below? I'm looking for an all-season to match the front ones, not worry about snow since I have snow tires. The plan is to keep them until the front wears out and then change all four later, so longetivity is not an issue.

I'm currently looking into the Falken ZE-912, then again, they are 91 load index... what do you think?

Thanks!
You're too new to recieve a private message, but if you see this and might be interested, I have 3 of the OE Michelins (off an 07) that are worn about the same as your front ones. I can have them in Framingham or Marlboro and for cheap money. PM me with your email if you can, or if not, just me know here.