Time for brake job... Upgrade recommendations please

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 03:40 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Time for brake job... Upgrade recommendations please

I believe I need my rotor resurfaced and pads replaced. So, what upgrades can I consider where cost won't stray to far from cost of regular brake job? FYI, I have stock rims.
Thanks!
Old 06-22-2005, 05:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm staying stock wheels as well, so I just ordered Brembo front rotors, some ceramic matrix pads and a set of SS lines all around. I haven't found any aftermarket rear discs except from Stillen.com (the fronts and rears are cross-drilled), but I'm only replacing the fronts as they are terribly warped and I don't want to go get them resurfaced; it'll just happen again.

You can also get a set of PowerSlots for the front from TireRack.com. They had the best price I've seen on the Brembo's too.

Got my Brembo sitting at the house and they are REALLY nice for a stock setup.

If you are wanting to do the cross-drilled OEM size, PM me. My buddy is a distributor and can possibly help you out. He took care of my pad and SS lines order.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:47 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotora Big break kit front and slotted cross drilled rear rotor by Rotora and matching rear braek pads!
Old 06-22-2005, 06:21 AM
Racer

Looks like I've been away for a long time... After seeing Moda_way's avatar, I believe congratulations are in order! Congratulations Ryan!
And thanks for the advice. I will look into the upgrade and see how much it would cost. I have to make the decision soon. I'd like to give myself a chance at attempting to upgrade the rotors. Never done it before. I'd also have to make sure I have the proper tools. Do we have a DIY on this? I'll have to do a search.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by OldManTSX
Looks like I've been away for a long time... After seeing Moda_way's avatar, I believe congratulations are in order! Congratulations Ryan!
And thanks for the advice. I will look into the upgrade and see how much it would cost. I have to make the decision soon. I'd like to give myself a chance at attempting to upgrade the rotors. Never done it before. I'd also have to make sure I have the proper tools. Do we have a DIY on this? I'll have to do a search.

Thanks. That's Ethan and he turns 1 yrs old in July.

I looked into the upgrades as well and obviously any big brake kit will require larger wheels. Because I have a second set of OEM wheels, I'm staying stock size.

Hardly any tools are needed because the rotors come right off with 4 bolts and there are ony 2 bolts to remove the caliper. The bolts (I think they are phillips heads) are torqued on, so you need some good leverage for it.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:08 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by moda_way
Thanks. That's Ethan and he turns 1 yrs old in July.

I looked into the upgrades as well and obviously any big brake kit will require larger wheels. Because I have a second set of OEM wheels, I'm staying stock size.

Hardly any tools are needed because the rotors come right off with 4 bolts and there are ony 2 bolts to remove the caliper. The bolts (I think they are phillips heads) are torqued on, so you need some good leverage for it.
I think I just gained complete confidence that I can do this! Thanks!
Old 06-22-2005, 07:26 AM
Suzuka Master

This should give you a better idea.

Old 06-22-2005, 07:32 AM
Suzuka Master

There is also one large nut to remove. It is notched, so you have to first bend the notch back up (not hard metal) and then remove.

I'm also trying to find out if I can reuse the shim kit. I pretty certain you can.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:53 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
let us know how it turns out. if you need instructions, give the boards a holler, i can snap some pics off the helms manual
Old 06-22-2005, 07:58 AM
Quattro in.....

Are there any big brake kits that can be used with stock wheels? I have aftermarkets for spring, summer and fall but, I'll need to put the stock wheels back on for the winter.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Viking
Are there any big brake kits that can be used with stock wheels? I have aftermarkets for spring, summer and fall but, I'll need to put the stock wheels back on for the winter.
I know, of the kits I looked at (Brembo, Rotora, Spoon, etc), all required larger wheels because the upgraded calipers needed more space. The only option I know of is upgrading the rotors of which there are a few. Combine that with SS lines and better brake material, a larger brake kit isn't as necessary. My buddy at Stillen.com turned me on to their brake material and SS lines. I would've done slotted rotors, but I need the funds for other things. I'm not personally interested in cross-drilled in an OEM size.

I was also looking to do Motul fluid, but I think we have to stay Dot 3 or 4 and Motul is Dot 5.1 and higher. Plus, I didn't want to make a mistake in the future and really mess the system up.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:37 AM
Quattro in.....

I know, of the kits I looked at (Brembo, Rotora, Spoon, etc), all required larger wheels because the upgraded calipers needed more space. The only option I know of is upgrading the rotors of which there are a few. Combine that with SS lines and better brake material, a larger brake kit isn't as necessary. My buddy at Stillen.com turned me on to their brake material and SS lines. I would've done slotted rotors, but I need the funds for other things. I'm not personally interested in cross-drilled in an OEM size.

I was also looking to do Motul fluid, but I think we have to stay Dot 3 or 4 and Motul is Dot 5.1 and higher. Plus, I didn't want to make a mistake in the future and really mess the system up.
Thanks for the info moda_way

I have about 6K miles on my car now no problems so far, just wanted to know my options.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:02 AM
Racer

Well, after doing some searches, I saw that "shuddering" which is what I'm experiencing now, is most likely caused by warped rotors. The reason I thought of resurfacing the rotors was from past experience when shuddering was occuring. What I didn't think of is that it may be under warranty? Deferring the cost of an upgrade or brake service is looking good to me right now after the wife just (lightly) rear ended someone with her MDX. With the $500 deductible, no cost to fix shuddering is a
So, can someone confirm if this is indeed can be covered under our warranty? I only have 29700 miles.
Thanks!
Old 06-22-2005, 09:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by OldManTSX
Well, after doing some searches, I saw that "shuddering" which is what I'm experiencing now, is most likely caused by warped rotors. The reason I thought of resurfacing the rotors was from past experience when shuddering was occuring. What I didn't think of is that it may be under warranty? Deferring the cost....
The USDM Accords, as you may have seen, have a TSB for this, but some people with TSXs have been lucky enough to get them covered under warranty and turned. Only issue is, it will come back. It is a good temporary fix though. I have 36k miles on the car and figured, why bother. I can understand your position though.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm staying stock wheels as well, so I just ordered Brembo front rotors, some ceramic matrix pads and a set of SS lines all around. I haven't found any aftermarket rear discs except from Stillen.com (the fronts and rears are cross-drilled), but I'm only replacing the fronts as they are terribly warped and I don't want to go get them resurfaced; it'll just happen again.

You can also get a set of PowerSlots for the front from TireRack.com. They had the best price I've seen on the Brembo's too.

Got my Brembo sitting at the house and they are REALLY nice for a stock setup.

If you are wanting to do the cross-drilled OEM size, PM me. My buddy is a distributor and can possibly help you out. He took care of my pad and SS lines order.
When you get a chance after removing the stock rotors, could you put them on a scale and see how much they weight? I was helping someone to install a set of Brembo blanks and they were much heavier than the stock rotors.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JTso
When you get a chance after removing the stock rotors, could you put them on a scale and see how much they weight? I was helping someone to install a set of Brembo blanks and they were much heavier than the stock rotors.
I definitely will... I noticed the same thing to be honest. I picked up the Brembo and was like... HOLY CRAP!!!... not that I've had my OEMs off yet, but I turned the OEMs when doing my springs and didn't recall them being that heavy.

If my pads and SS lines arrive on Friday as planned, should be doing them on Sat. or Sun.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:03 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Those 2 screws were a PITB (or is it PIITB ) to get out. I had to buy an impact screwdriver (the kind you hammer) to get them out because they were stripping when I used a regular phillips head.

There is also one large nut to remove. It is notched, so you have to first bend the notch back up (not hard metal) and then remove.

I'm also trying to find out if I can reuse the shim kit. I pretty certain you can.
You don't need to remove the nut to take off the rotor. Its for removing the hub from the axel.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by xizor
Those 2 screws were a PITB (or is it PIITB ) to get out. I had to buy an impact screwdriver (the kind you hammer) to get them out because they were stripping when I used a regular phillips head.

You don't need to remove the nut to take off the rotor. Its for removing the hub from the axel.
Yeah, I have an impact wrench.

Thanks for the clarifications on the nut. I the shop manual I thought it had mentioned taking it off. Glad to know this because I wasn't too happy about that part.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:47 PM
Racer

My front rotors are warped at 21,000 miles. I recently ordered my PowerSlot rotors and Hawk HPS pads from Performance Parts Store (PPS). I paid $242, which is $55 cheaper than what I would've paid through TireRack. Here's the thread: http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25719 ; my screen name on that board is "Phil". It's a great vendor, feel free to check out the Good Guys/Bad Guys forum on that board.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:30 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
phil - lemme know they work. once my pads go, i'm replacing the whole rotor/pads set.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mg7726
phil - lemme know they work. once my pads go, i'm replacing the whole rotor/pads set.
I've had PowerSlots on a total of 3 of my past and current cars. On the front of my 97 Taurus SHO, front of my 99' Cavalier, and rear of my 01' Eclipse. They're great rotors! I currently have the Hawk HPS pads on the front of my Eclipse with my Baer Track Kit and they're great pads!

I'm sure that the PowerSlots and HPS's will be awesome on my TSX.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:40 PM
Instructor

I replaced my front rotors with the blank brembo replacements and the pads with hawks hps. Great diferrence in stopping, only a little dust in the front wheels.
If you change your stock tires to Yoko AVS ES100 or Avon Tech M500 you will increment stopping also.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:43 PM
Drives With Hands

I was looking into some Stoptech Aero-rotors, which are direct replacement for our OEM rotors. Only they are slotted, and I think they're mounted with a hat though I'm not sure.

Stoptech doesn't make Aero-rotors for the TSX yet, that I've been able to find. However they make them for the RSX-S. Doesn't the TSX use brakes from the RSX-S? I thought maybe the Aero-rotors for the RSX-S would fit, but I'm not going to chance it until one of you schools me (hopefully).
Old 06-25-2005, 05:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rmpage
Stoptech doesn't make Aero-rotors for the TSX yet, that I've been able to find. However they make them for the RSX-S. Doesn't the TSX use brakes from the RSX-S? I thought maybe the Aero-rotors for the RSX-S would fit, but I'm not going to chance it until one of you schools me (hopefully).
No, they are 282mm diameters, ours is 300mm. Totally different.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:29 PM
Drives With Hands

Alright, thanks.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:05 PM
Racer

The dealership covered my front brakes but did not cover the rear. Something about my front pad still at 60% but the rear was at 10% so they could only cover the front.
Oh well. Brakes feels much stable after paying $215. I had a coupon
Old 06-26-2005, 07:17 PM
Suzuka Master

I did my brakes today and MAN I LOVE MY SETUP!!!! I'm going to post pics tomorrow.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:02 PM
2004 NBP/ebony AT

who has pics of cross drilled rotors on there tsx? who makes them and where can i find some thanks!!
Old 06-27-2005, 05:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Stillen.com has a set. The others are brake kits from Brembo, like at Comptech.com, but you'll need larger wheels for a big brake kit.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:55 AM
Racer

Here are my new PowerSlots and Hawk HPS's. Thus far I've only bed-in the pads so I've still got another 380 miles to fully break-in the rotors. Even though the system isn't fully broken-in yet, the initial bite of the Hawk HPS's against the PowerSlots is much much better than stock.

The only thing that I found interesting about the install was that there are two (2) shims on each inner brake pad. I've never seen that before but hey, I've never had such a nice car.

Before bedding-in the pads:

After bedding-in the pads:

And I'd also like to give special thanks to Performance Parts Store (PPS) for giving me such a sweet deal on these rotors and pads ($240 shipped for both rotors and the pads)! Their info is available here: http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25719 . The prices they have listed there are for the 3g Eclipse but if you call them and tell them that you saw the group buy on club3g.com, they'll give you the same pricing that they gave me.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:33 PM
Got Milk???

Moda and Jtso, does having lighter weight rotors give faster acceleration (less unsprung weight)?
Old 07-06-2005, 06:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kaikai114
Moda and Jtso, does having lighter weight rotors give faster acceleration (less unsprung weight)?
Yes, less unsprung weight and even more importantly less rotational mass will make a positive impact on accelerating, braking, and turning performance.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nighthawk04
Yes, less unsprung weight and even more importantly less rotational mass will make a positive impact on accelerating, braking, and turning performance.

And a negative impact on brake fade, unless you use a two-piece rotor with lightweight hat.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:42 PM
Drives With Hands

Originally Posted by Bill Hook
And a negative impact on brake fade, unless you use a two-piece rotor with lightweight hat.
Is that due to the decreased thermal mass of a lightweight rotor?
Old 07-18-2005, 05:52 PM
Instructor

Just to chime in on things I do know about . . .

Hawk HP+ are much better pads for initial bite than the HPS. Hawk in general is a good pad but watch for the shims to come loose. Had this happen ona few sets.

Another brand I use a lot on my Type-R and are some of the best brakes I have used for performance is the Cobalt Friction Technologies GT Sport brake pads. www.cobaltfriction.com (Hopefully posting links here is allowed).

There are plenty of other good pad companies too like:

Porterfield
Carbotech
Hawk
Cobalt

I personally like the ones above and have had no good experience with EBC or Axxis. As a side note slotted and drilled rotors are a waste in general and changing to a high performance fluid can be a useful upgrade if any tracking of the car is happening.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rmpage
Is that due to the decreased thermal mass of a lightweight rotor?
Yep.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Asahi
Another brand I use a lot on my Type-R and are some of the best brakes I have used for performance is the Cobalt Friction Technologies GT Sport brake pads. www.cobaltfriction.com (Hopefully posting links here is allowed).

The fact that they're $135 for front TSX GT-Sport pads wouldn't dissuade me a bit, but the special order status seems annoying - I'd probably buy two sets, just in case.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:33 PM
Instructor

I've only had my TSX for 4 days so I had not checked into availability. If I get any info I'll pass it on.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Asahi
I've only had my TSX for 4 days so I had not checked into availability. If I get any info I'll pass it on.
I'm just going by their website.

__________________________________________________ ____________

FWIW, probably the FIRST brake upgrade would be ditching the shitty OEM Michelins for a summer-only UHP tire, or at least an A/S UHP tire, if the climate dictates such; the Michelin Pilot HX isn't even classified as a performance tire and the majority of Tirerack surveyed owners would "definitely not" buy it again
Old 07-20-2005, 12:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Time for brake job... Upgrade recommendations please