Tierod replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 06:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tierod replacement questions

Hey guys, replacing my inner and outer tie-rods this weekend and i wanted to ask a few question. First off jiffy-lube wanted $400 for this, but after a quick search i found how to do it myself. My main question is i noticed in the video he was greasing the tie-rods, first do i grease both inner and outer (moog parts) and if so how often should i grease them? Is this a good enough
grease gun grease gun
and what grease should i use?

So i've bought the tools i believe i will need, but just double checking on here to see if i needed to pickup anything else.
I have the socket size for the nut, and i will be getting an alignment the morning next at tire plus ($70)

Thank you!

Last edited by Acura743; 10-01-2018 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Damn formating
Old 10-02-2018, 10:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
I would buy tie rod ends from a Honda/Acura dealer. I always use online dealers like curryacuraparts or bernardiparts. No need to grease or service. And they last a longer time than any other replacement brand

There's absolutely no advantage to greasable tie rods in your application....and quite a few drawbacks.

For safety, you really should replace chassis parts like that with factory Honda/Acura replacements.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:10 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
i just replaced my tie rod ends in addition to all lower control arm bushings and lower ball joints using MOOG. is Honda/Acura that much more superior?? i spent $150 total for 3 pairs of bushings, tie rod ends, and lower ball joints....
Old 11-28-2018, 11:25 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hondeducation
i just replaced my tie rod ends in addition to all lower control arm bushings and lower ball joints using MOOG. is Honda/Acura that much more superior?? i spent $150 total for 3 pairs of bushings, tie rod ends, and lower ball joints....

Yes. Genuine Honda/Acura parts are far superior to any aftermarket part.

The only ones who have the original design of the car are Honda/Acura.

OEM's (Honda/Acura in this case) are the only ones who have enough money to fully perform safety and design tests.

I would opt not use aftermarket chassis parts like tie rods or ball joints. Or at least realize that its not safe. You'll need to check/inspect them often. And they won't last nearly as long as the factory part.

If there was an aftermarket part that was truly designed as well or better than OEM, can you imagine how expensive it would be? It certainly wouldn't be cheaper than factory parts.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:32 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I've used the MOOG tie rod ends on my 4G TL. But if you use MOOG, get their problem solver series. Not the K or RK. Those are cheaper. MOOG problem solver series are used in pretty hardcore applications including racing and offroading so I have plenty of faith in their quality. The problem solver series for the 4G TL do not have greasable ends. They are self contained like the OEM's.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 5 cars, all high mileage. I've used plenty of aftermarket suspension parts over the years with no problems. The Moog parts have lasted longer than the factory Ford part because you can grease them. My Celica has 345,000 miles and the few parts that I've had to replace on it are not factory Toyota parts. Honda doesn't actually make all of those parts.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:32 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by acmectec2001
I have 5 cars, all high mileage. I've used plenty of aftermarket suspension parts over the years with no problems. The Moog parts have lasted longer than the factory Ford part because you can grease them. My Celica has 345,000 miles and the few parts that I've had to replace on it are not factory Toyota parts. Honda doesn't actually make all of those parts.

Its not surprising that Moog makes a better part for your old Ford.

Nobody makes a better chassis part than Honda's suppliers do for Honda's factory stock, however.

Hopefully the second statement clarifies what I was conveying. I work in R&D for an automotive OEM. I know about the supply chain.

Even if its made by the chosen OEM supplier...the factory stock part is almost always better.

Why would aftermarket parts be cheaper if they were actually better?

Search a bit and you'll be surprised with the MASSIVE amount of issues with aftermarket parts on Hondas...or any modern car.

Greasable parts aren't advantageous. Honda's chassis parts normally last well over 100K-150K miles. I've seen 250K mile ball joints that still have no play.

Not saying your old car will be driven for another 250K. My point is that if you're buying aftermarket, be sure you realize the quality is not the same as factory and that you cannot take for granted that they will work for any amount of time.

I've had/seen plenty of Moog and other aftermarket fails. I would be inclined to buy chassis parts from a Honda dealer.

Last edited by BROlando; 11-30-2018 at 11:36 AM.