Tanabe Sustec Pro FIVE

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 05:45 AM
Yui
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tanabe Sustec Pro FIVE

Just a heads up for anyone looking to upgrade their suspension soon. I emailed Tanabe on the availability of the Tanabase Sustec Pro SEVEN for the TSX and this is what they responded with. Maybe if we show there is considerable interest on this forum they will be more likely to go through with developing the TSX kit:

Thank you for your interest in the new Sustec Pro SEVEN suspension!

The Sustec Pro Seven is limited to a specific range of applications, and is very Motorsports oriented. We will be introducing another line of suspensions called the Sustec Pro FIVE which will have all of the features and valving of the Seven, except at a lower price, and will not have case length adjustment (has ride height adjustment)

There is a high probability that the Five will be available for the TSX. Five is compatible with the TEAS active controller.

Best Regards,

Tanabe Racing Development, USA
Old 02-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Yui
Pro

50 views and no replies. Do you guys not know what TEAS does? It's like Tein's EDFC except you can program it to change suspension settings automatically depending on your speed and driving conditions. It is totally awesome:

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/coilovers/teas.asp

The Tanabe SEVEN allows for a much larger dynamic range between settings as well. Just because a coilover allows for 32 settings or whatever doesn't mean it's got great dynamic range. As some TEIN Flex users have reported, the hardest setting is not much different from the softest setting. I'm hoping Tanabe provides a better solution for the TSX through its upcoming FIVE series.

Originally Posted by Yui
Just a heads up for anyone looking to upgrade their suspension soon. I emailed Tanabe on the availability of the Tanabase Sustec Pro SEVEN for the TSX and this is what they responded with. Maybe if we show there is considerable interest on this forum they will be more likely to go through with developing the TSX kit:

Thank you for your interest in the new Sustec Pro SEVEN suspension!

The Sustec Pro Seven is limited to a specific range of applications, and is very Motorsports oriented. We will be introducing another line of suspensions called the Sustec Pro FIVE which will have all of the features and valving of the Seven, except at a lower price, and will not have case length adjustment (has ride height adjustment)

There is a high probability that the Five will be available for the TSX. Five is compatible with the TEAS active controller.

Best Regards,

Tanabe Racing Development, USA
Old 02-17-2006, 01:25 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks cool!
Old 02-17-2006, 01:43 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow...looks really cool! I like how it adjusts dynamically based on your speed. That's awesome!

Any idea how much it will cost?
Old 02-17-2006, 02:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Yui
Just because a coilover allows for 32 settings or whatever doesn't mean it's got great dynamic range. As some TEIN Flex users have reported, the hardest setting is not much different from the softest setting.
The TEAS seems to be an interesting product and I look forward for some reviews. Not sure why some Flex users reported not much difference from the various settings. Base on my own experience, even one click produces noticeable difference.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:59 PM
Yui
Pro

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Wow...looks really cool! I like how it adjusts dynamically based on your speed. That's awesome!

Any idea how much it will cost?
Their SEVEN series starts at $1980 and these are supposed to slot below those, so I'm going to estimate about $1400-$1500, which is about the cost of the Tein FLEX coilovers. Start saving up
Old 02-17-2006, 04:51 PM
TSX JIGALO

HOT DAMN those are nice...$1980..is it worth it?
Old 02-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I guess my main concern would be with constantly adjusting the shocks, isn't that more likely to wear out the valves sooner? I mean it's one thing to just change them every now and then, and it's something different altogether to change them every time you go over a certain speed.

Just wondering...
Old 02-17-2006, 07:32 PM
BU
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Thumbs up

Sound like Good Stuff
Price drop to $1500 will be reasonable with all funcation & setting.

Bender
Old 02-17-2006, 11:33 PM
Yui
Pro

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
I guess my main concern would be with constantly adjusting the shocks, isn't that more likely to wear out the valves sooner? I mean it's one thing to just change them every now and then, and it's something different altogether to change them every time you go over a certain speed.

Just wondering...
Good question. I'll check out the RSX forum and see what people's experiences are with the Tanabe SEVEN coilovers with TEAS.

One of my concerns with the Teins is the reports of noise being regarded as normal, as well as the ride being much harsher than stock, even the softest setting. A harsh ride is fine when I'm driving around the rubberized freeways of Phoenix but when I go to visit my friend in Irvine, I'll want all the cushion I can get because the roads there make me feel like I'm riding a jackhammer with even the stock TSX suspension. That and I want a softer ride for when I have passengers

Could someone explain this little detail for me? "will not have case length adjustment (has ride height adjustment)". I'd appreciate it, thanks
Old 02-18-2006, 12:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
sounds good.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Yui
Could someone explain this little detail for me? "will not have case length adjustment (has ride height adjustment)". I'd appreciate it, thanks
The "case length" adjustment is similar to the Tein Flex or Buddy Club RS lower height adjustment. It allows height adjustment with full suspension travel without affecting the spring preload, whereas other coilover systems adjust the height by lower/raise the spring perch.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:56 AM
Yui
Pro

Ahh, I see. I would venture a guess that it's better to allow height adjustment through case length then so that you can set your suspension settings independent of your ride height?

Originally Posted by JTso
The "case length" adjustment is similar to the Tein Flex or Buddy Club RS lower height adjustment. It allows height adjustment with full suspension travel without affecting the spring preload, whereas other coilover systems adjust the height by lower/raise the spring perch.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Yui
Ahh, I see. I would venture a guess that it's better to allow height adjustment through case length then so that you can set your suspension settings independent of your ride height?
Both the case lenght and spring perch settings could change the ride height. But the spring perch adjustment method also decreases the suspension travel because it lowers the piston inside the shock body, as well as changing the spring preload. The case length adjustment method lowers the entire shock assembly without changing the suspension travel or the spring length. Therefore, much better but also more expensive.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:13 PM
Yui
Pro

More information from Tanabe regarding the FIVE:

The FIVE will have a similar bound and rebound characteristics as the SEVEN, since they will feature identical internal construction. The actual bound and rebound range will be dependent on the vehicle application and spring rate, but the range will remain identical to those found in the SEVEN. The main difference in features between the two models is that the FIVE has a fixed lower bracket and adjustable spring perch, while the SEVEN has an adjustable lower bracket and adjustable spring perch.

The FIVE also uses Solid Uppermounts with a bushing, to prevent vibration and noises. The SEVEN uses solid spherical pillowball bearings for the uppermount, which can transmit additional vibrations and noises to the cabin. Pillowball uppermounts are specifically designed for track use, where dynamic loading of that particular area only comes into play when high cornering forces from race compound tires and aggressive alignments can affect that area. The Solid uppermount with Bushing found in the FIVE offers more compliance and less noise, for daily driven applications.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by Yui
More information from Tanabe regarding the FIVE:

The FIVE will have a similar bound and rebound characteristics as the SEVEN, since they will feature identical internal construction. The actual bound and rebound range will be dependent on the vehicle application and spring rate, but the range will remain identical to those found in the SEVEN. The main difference in features between the two models is that the FIVE has a fixed lower bracket and adjustable spring perch, while the SEVEN has an adjustable lower bracket and adjustable spring perch.

The FIVE also uses Solid Uppermounts with a bushing, to prevent vibration and noises. The SEVEN uses solid spherical pillowball bearings for the uppermount, which can transmit additional vibrations and noises to the cabin. Pillowball uppermounts are specifically designed for track use, where dynamic loading of that particular area only comes into play when high cornering forces from race compound tires and aggressive alignments can affect that area. The Solid uppermount with Bushing found in the FIVE offers more compliance and less noise, for daily driven applications.

A lot of the ride harshness with the FLEX comes from the pillow mounts. I think you should consider that the Tanabe Fives will have a harsher ride than the SOC1/2 as well. The bushings they use will be softer than the FLEX, but I would not expect them to be stock-like.

I guess it all boils down to what you want from the suspension....
Old 02-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by JTso
not having full length adjustment in a coilover would be a non-starter for me (if I were looking for new coilovers)
Old 05-07-2008, 08:45 AM
1st Gear

sorry to dig this out......any developement sustec pro 5 or 7 available for TSX ?
Old 05-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
No. Not that we know of.