tanabe coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tanabe coilovers

I have an 06' 6-speed and looking to go lower than the current A-specs (had on for maybe 500 miles). I wanting to go the coilover route and interested in the Tababes because freeway/ride comfort is my number one priority (wife drives it 70 freeway miles a day, have 4 people in car often). The problem I have with the tanabes is that no one has talked about them in a post in so long, are they that unpopular compared to tein's for a reason, it seems to me that from the posts saying how comfortable they are that they should be just as talked about....anyway that is what is putting me off. Cant afford the Tein CS's, and the Tein basics people say are a little stiff (especially for my wife on the freeway). What do you think, anyone have any for sale?...?
Old 04-18-2008, 07:53 PM

sorry sorry when searching I was only searching titles...moderator can remove this post I have plenty of new info at my disposal
Old 04-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Intermediate

actually I was looking at the coilovers, and what I am wondering is the comfort at freeway speeds. I am not really too concerned about in town driving over big bumps as long as it is still comfortable going 70, so does the tanabe or tein ss absorb the small differences on freeways to give a stock like ride on the freeway? thanks
Old 04-19-2008, 02:54 PM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tein SS is butter smooth on the highway.
No experience with the Tanabe.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:17 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

I've had the Tanabe Pro S-0C Type II coilovers on for over 2 years, and they are definitely the route you want to go if you're looking for that "near stock" quality ride. I've also been on Tein SS and Tein Basics (a friend and a cousin), and there is a *significant* difference in the firmness... even at the softest setting of the SS. You will definitely notice the ride change on Teins. My wife didn't even realize I changed my suspension until about 3 months after I swapped it out, and only because she asked me if I dropped the car (she noticed she had to step "up" out of it).

That said, that doesn't mean the Teins were *too* harsh or uncomfortable. However, they have a much different focus from the Tanabes. The reason you don't hear a lot about the Tanabes from forum members is because enthusiasts generally are looking for performance benefits, and while the Tanabes certainly eliminated nearly all of the squat and dive, as well as a significant amount of lean, I'd be blowing smoke up your arse if I told you that they also did it just as well as any set of Teins.

If I had to do it again, I probably would've gone the Tein route because I discovered (through the Tanabes) that my threshold for suspension feel is much greater than I had anticipated. However, as I said earlier, you will *definitely* notice that you're on an aftermarket suspension with the Teins.

My advice to you? If, as you've said, you are concerned primarily with ride comfort and are looking for an adjustable way to improve your whip's aesthetics, I think Tanabes are without question the best route to go (unless someone can chime in on the Tein CS, which I haven't had any experience with). If, however, you have any inclination for some spirited driving on a fairly regular basis, pick up a set of Teins and call it a day. If you're in the NJ area, you're always free to come take a ride in mine... I'm dropped about 2" all around.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:27 PM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can chime in on the Tein CS (otherwise known as CST).

I ran Tein SS's for a couple weeks, then changed to Tein CS's.

The Tein CS is noticeably smoother and closer to stock for sure.

I live around lots of sharp turning roads. I have one that's 4 S-turns back
to back. Very nice and fun. And honestly so far I can't tell a difference between
the SS and the CS in terms of handling. The CS are holding a candle to the SS
in this category no problem.

Someone told me that my handling would go in the trash if I switched to the CS,
but in return I'd net a much nicer ride. I don't agree with them at all.

So far the CS seems to be the best of both worlds, I'm low on them too.
Both in the front and in the back, I'm lowered so the tires tuck a few mm's.
So a slightly negative gap.

The SS is noticeable over stock, a fair amount. They're comprable, and I like the
SS quite a bit, but when you put a second person in the car, you can really feel
them. Even with a second person in the car, the CS is very smooth.

Next week I'll be taking pictures of the CS's installed and reporting on my settings
and opinion and all of that.

Basically, the CS is about as close to stock as you're going to get for ride comfort.
Very impressive, very smooth and comfortable. They're more expensive of course,
but well worth the money. Plus the CS have EDFC capability on the TSX!
So you can controll how soft or stiff the ride is, at any wheel, with a touch of a button
in the dash.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:28 PM
Intermediate

Ya, I think im going to tanabe route, I cant really consider the tein CS due to the price, It would be hard to justify that one to the wife....thanks for the info, this site is an amazing resource
Old 04-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Intermediate

one more thing actually, I dont hear much about it due to the performance mindedness of those who buy coilovers but how are the tanabees or tein SS's with 4 guys in the car, fully loaded basically, thanks
Old 04-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by amadeus303
I've had the Tanabe Pro S-0C Type II coilovers on for over 2 years, and they are definitely the route you want to go if you're looking for that "near stock" quality ride. I've also been on Tein SS and Tein Basics (a friend and a cousin), and there is a *significant* difference in the firmness... even at the softest setting of the SS. You will definitely notice the ride change on Teins. My wife didn't even realize I changed my suspension until about 3 months after I swapped it out, and only because she asked me if I dropped the car (she noticed she had to step "up" out of it).

That said, that doesn't mean the Teins were *too* harsh or uncomfortable. However, they have a much different focus from the Tanabes. The reason you don't hear a lot about the Tanabes from forum members is because enthusiasts generally are looking for performance benefits, and while the Tanabes certainly eliminated nearly all of the squat and dive, as well as a significant amount of lean, I'd be blowing smoke up your arse if I told you that they also did it just as well as any set of Teins.

If I had to do it again, I probably would've gone the Tein route because I discovered (through the Tanabes) that my threshold for suspension feel is much greater than I had anticipated. However, as I said earlier, you will *definitely* notice that you're on an aftermarket suspension with the Teins.

My advice to you? If, as you've said, you are concerned primarily with ride comfort and are looking for an adjustable way to improve your whip's aesthetics, I think Tanabes are without question the best route to go (unless someone can chime in on the Tein CS, which I haven't had any experience with). If, however, you have any inclination for some spirited driving on a fairly regular basis, pick up a set of Teins and call it a day. If you're in the NJ area, you're always free to come take a ride in mine... I'm dropped about 2" all around.
exactly what i would've said.

in regard to having 4 ppl in the car, i think the car will feel sluggish regardless of suspension setup.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
The Tanabe S-OC's maintain ride comfort and ride similar to OE with improved handling. So if that is what you're looking for they are a good choice.

Tanabe's are also hard to come by and that is one reason there isn't as much info on them. We actually have 1 set of S-OC Type II's coming in and 2 sets of S-OC Type I's (with the helper spring).
Old 04-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
The reason you don't hear a lot about the Tanabes from forum members is because enthusiasts generally are looking for performance benefits...

I personally think it has to do with Tanabe's poor distribution network and unwillingness to keep their parts in stock. You'll get a lot better support from Tein in the long run as well.

The Tanabes are hard to come by quickly. If Josh has some coming and you want some sooner than later ordering up as soon as possible is probably the best bet.

Personally, we recommend the Tein options. We have just had so many happy customers with them.

Marcus
Old 04-21-2008, 10:20 PM
Intermediate

I think if the TeinSS werent about 200 more than the tanabes I would consider them but...from what I have found on a couple websites here and there selling tanabes the S-OC I and II are around the same price. What would be better for my needs, the S-OC II or the I with the helper spring. Is II just the updated I or do they target different customers? thanks
Old 04-22-2008, 03:06 AM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

^^^The helper spring simply preloads the primary spring, so it assists in keeping it planted and in place when there's a lot of rebound... I can't imagine it'd make a big difference in the ride quality or performance. Considering the scarcity of the Tanabes, if that's the route you decide to go, I'd just pick up whichever version I could find.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Former Sponsor

^^^The helper spring simply preloads the primary spring, so it assists in keeping it planted and in place when there's a lot of rebound... I can't imagine it'd make a big difference in the ride quality or performance. Considering the scarcity of the Tanabes, if that's the route you decide to go, I'd just pick up whichever version I could find.

They are not scarce or rare people. You just need to order them and wait for the slow boat from china. Just trying to clarify that. They are hard to get "in stock" but they are by no means hard to get.

Marcus
Old 04-22-2008, 11:29 AM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

^^^Understood... but "scarce" or "limited in supply" to me is when shops don't stock them.

FWIW - I actually got mine from Marcus... I guess I was lucky --- I only waited 1 week!
Old 04-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
to the OP, why haven't you considered the tein basics?
Old 04-22-2008, 11:51 AM

I have heard from many that they are too stiff and the last thing I want is to have a 30k sedan that I think is a bad "ride quality," and performance is the least of my concerns....so from what I have read points to tanabes
Old 04-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ribbit541
I have heard from many that they are too stiff and the last thing I want is to have a 30k sedan that I think is a bad "ride quality," and performance is the least of my concerns....so from what I have read points to tanabes

This is a subjective opinion. Most general reports are that the Basics are firmer than the SOC. Whether or not this is a good thing is up to the driver. By and large, if you don't care about performance and want a soft ride the Tanabes are hard to beat. But to many others, changing these parts for the sole purpose of lowering is not enough to justify the cost. For all those who'd prefer to lower and improve handling the Basics are a better choice. The ride tradeoff for those looking for improved handling is more than acceptable. For those that the ride and handling tradeoff balance is in question, we suggest the Tein SS which can be adjusted to ride softer at times, or adjusted to handle better at other times.

Marcus
Old 04-25-2008, 09:59 AM

So I think im going to pick up some tanabes from Excelerate, but one last quetion...I currently have the Aspecs on and I have the stock shocks in my garage, I hear that the tanabes need to use the boot or hat thing from the OEM's (ie not a complete set like the aspecs), so cant I take some pieces off the OEM system so the installation will be a breaze?? thanks
Old 04-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

i'm not sure if the tanabes are the same, but the tein basics and ss require the oem upper mounts. is that what you are talking about?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Old School TSX Owner

I use to have Tanabe Sustec Pro S-S on my old 98 Accord Coupe. This was back in around 2000 when I got them. This was before Tanabe set up Tanabe USA here and when they were spring rated for JDM cars. I can tell you that they use to be super stiff, especially up front. Tanabe looks liket they only sell the S-OC I and II here now. They are rated more for USDM cars now so hence the softer ride and spring rates. Remember however, you can get custom spring rates from Tanabe using the PRO210 springs that Tanabe also sells.

I myself went the regular DF210 route with my TSX this time only because I found that I am way too lazy to mess with coilover settings.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:28 AM

Ya, the upper mounts....if I take the OEM upper mounts (off the original set currently in garage) I can put together a "complete set" with the tanabes right, then put it in very simply like the Aspecs?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Old School TSX Owner

Ya, the upper mounts....if I take the OEM upper mounts (off the original set currently in garage) I can put together a "complete set" with the tanabes right, then put it in very simply like the Aspecs?
correct.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:12 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Originally Posted by finalstageauto
I myself went the regular DF210 route with my TSX this time only because I found that I am way too lazy to mess with coilover settings.
As much as I thought I'd adjust my coilovers, I've touched 'em maybe twice... and then never touched 'em again
Old 04-26-2008, 10:14 AM
Former Sponsor

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/Honda-Gen...X-pr-4813.html

Old 04-26-2008, 11:08 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went from A-Spec (about a year's use) to Tein SS and the SS is better in every conceivable way. You will not be disappointed with a switch to coilovers.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
So I think im going to pick up some tanabes from Excelerate, but one last quetion...I currently have the Aspecs on and I have the stock shocks in my garage, I hear that the tanabes need to use the boot or hat thing from the OEM's (ie not a complete set like the aspecs), so cant I take some pieces off the OEM system so the installation will be a breaze?? thanks
You will reuse your OE upper mounts and some washers.