Suspension question from a noob

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 11:59 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Suspension question from a noob

So I see a lot of discussions on this board regarding coil overs and suspension. I am not very mechanically inclined (I work at a bank) but I love cars and I love my TSX. My first mod will be a CAI and then probably a sway bar and 18" wheels, but all this talk of suspension is interesting me.

What are the drawbacks and benefits of upgrading the suspension? I was thinking of going with the A-spec package, but the price tag and the ho-hum wheels turned me off. Would the a-spec suspension be a good idea or should I go with another brand?

I also read a thread that talks about noise, squakes and grinding with after-market suspension. I hate noises/rattles in my car, would this be an issue?

Sorry for the newb questions, just want to learn. I do search the threads, but can't really find one that looks like mine.

Thanks!
Roogly...
Old 05-13-2005, 12:05 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
A drawback of a new suspension depend on the person, it will make the car handle better, but the stiffer suspension will make the ride harsher and you will feel the bumps more. Its not as comfortable of a ride.

you can guy the a-spec suspension on Ebay without the wheels and at a much lower price than the dealer charges
Old 05-13-2005, 12:06 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
So long as your suspension is professionally installed by someone who knows what they're doing, you won't have any squeaks.

The drawbacks and benefits depend on what your goals are. If you're looking for a really low car or are looking for the ultimate in handling, then you'll have to sacrifice some ride comfort. If you just want to improve the handling a little bit and can live with just a 3/4"-1" drop then maybe the A-Spec kit is the best choice.

Do the CAI and swaybar first and see how you like it. Then if you decide that you either want to lower your car or are still not satisfied with the handling, then you can consider various suspension alternatives.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:07 PM
Instructor

Thanks.

I am coming over from an RSX Type S which obviously has a sportier suspension. I should have clarified that I have learned some basic information, meaning I know that a sport suspension will stiffen the ride and handle better. (I once rented a Chrylser 300C...what a boat!)

I guess my question was kind of answered. I am worried about moving into a sport suspension and then hearing a lot of noise. That would drive me insane. Will the ride be like the RSX? You could feel every pot-hole on the road so I am pretty used to it, but if it's just slightly smoother than the RSX but still enough to zip up a ramp, hey man, all the better!

I loved driving my RSX, and I realize this is a sedan that will be as quick or as nimble, and I do like the smoother ride. But at heart, I just like to gun it and take a corner with my hair on fire. What should I be looking at? I am getting the sway bar before I address the suspension. (Thanks for the advice) But don't both stiffen the car? What exactly is the difference?

Also, when I looked under the hood, it looks as though the TSX already comes with a stabilizer bar. Should I look at getting that changed?

So much to do....I wish I could do it all at once!

I like that ebay idea, I will definitely take a look. I appreciate it.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:35 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The bar under your hood isn't a stabilizer bar, it's a strut tower brace. The purpose of that bar is to provide a solid mount for your suspension to work from. There is a front and rear sway bar under your car. The sole purpose of the sway bar is to resist the rolling motion of the car.

Changing swaybars has a big effect on how a car handles in a corner. Because the TSX is set up to slightly understeer from the factory, adding a stiffer rear sway bar will cause the car to become more neutral handling. One of the other benefits of having a car that doesn't roll as much is that they will react quicker to steering changes. If you were to do a slalom run before and after the upgrade you'd notice a huge difference.

Ride quality doesn't suffer because the bar pivots to allow both wheels to move up and down over bumps. If you run over a bump that only hits one side of the car, you might notice it being a little more firm.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:25 PM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice writeup
Old 05-13-2005, 08:28 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The main benefit of the new suspension is the looks! The stock ride height is way too high! I suggest getting suspension before you get the rims. Once you have the car lowered you can better see what size and offset wheels and tires will fit. The stock rims are nice and the car looks great lowered with the stock tires. But, once you pay all that money for rims, you will wish it was lowered a bit every time you get in to the car!

Here is a link that shows what my car looked like before and after suspension with stock rims. www.cardomain.com/id/cjams
Old 05-16-2005, 02:07 PM
Instructor

That was lots of help, thanks guys!
Old 05-16-2005, 03:14 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never thought about it, but I think we might benefit from gas mileage since the car has a little less drag being lowered. hmmmmm? maybe?