Springs or Coilovers? Which brand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:01 PM
cl9alltheway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Springs or Coilovers? Which brand?

i want to drop my car, but i dont know which direction to go. I want the most even drop, i dont want the rear to be drop more then the front and vice versa. so thats why im considering to go w/ coilovers, but i know if i dont get shocks w/ coilovers, coilovers are really bad on stock shocks. so springs would be a good way to go but....i was wonder if any one dropped their car w/ springs and u got a even drop...what springs did u use and if u had any pics? or if coilovers did the job and they didnt kill your stock shocks.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, since your post count is low, i'll tell you to search.

to answer your question, coilovers are both struts and springs together. they have adjustable height (and depending on which set you get, damper). that being said, coilovers can get you as even or uneven of a drop as you want. if you just get springs and put them on the stock strut, then you will probably drop more in the front because of the weight difference of the car front-to-back...

most people get coilovers....
Old 02-05-2008, 07:06 AM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ruffellprefley
well, since your post count is low, i'll tell you to search.

to answer your question, coilovers are both struts and springs together. they have adjustable height (and depending on which set you get, damper). that being said, coilovers can get you as even or uneven of a drop as you want. if you just get springs and put them on the stock strut, then you will probably drop more in the front because of the weight difference of the car front-to-back...

most people get coilovers....
Coilovers have both form and functionality built in..however if you get a set of springs, whose spring rates match that of the shock’s it will ride better then a coilover especially since most cities have so many pot holes. However the difference is very minuet between say 1.6” in the front and 1.3” in the back were talking about .3 of an inch. Why do you want an even drop? That .3 should give it a more aggressive stance.

Coilovers $$$$$$$$
Spring and Shocks $

Anyway this is all coming from a guy who still has not installed his setup; if you want a spring/shock review you’re going to have to wait a month
Old 02-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Time to Climb

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by GTSX-05
However the difference is very minuet between say 1.6” in the front and 1.3” in the back were talking about .3 of an inch. Why do you want an even drop? That .3 should give it a more aggressive stance.
that fraction of an inch also leaves you some clearance if you're going to have lots of stuff in the trunk and/or people in the back seat.

i had tein basic coilovers for a while but didn't actually need them. so i switched out for a spring/shock combo. my ride was a hair better on teins, but nothing too noticeable. if you want height adjustability - for track purposes or maybe even to raise your ride in the winter - then get the coilovers and be done with it. if $200 or so is a big concern, you won't be complaining with a quality spring/shock setup either.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

moved to Tires, Wheels, & Suspension
Old 02-16-2008, 12:02 PM
TSX Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had Koni Sports and Ground Control Coilovers on my old Civic. Let's just say you will really get to know your chiropractor. They were very hard for daily use. HTH.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:56 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tein basics ftw! =) compared to the aspec suspension. my ride is equally about the same just as soft/bumpy... but now my car is way lower!!!! i also like have the rear just a little bit higher... i adjusted mine by having friends sit in the back.. [3 guys] and seeing if i could go over a seed bump without rubbing.. lol. got it down now.. with coil overs you can always raise it back up or lower... which isn't too tedious to do.