speaking of snow, anyone buy/use chains for their TSX yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 07:31 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speaking of snow, anyone buy/use chains for their TSX yet?

I haven't really started looking for some chains, but I am a little worried that the low profile tires will not be compatible with a lot of the metal chains out there. I am thinking of going with cable chains anyway. Anyone else have any experience?
Old 12-07-2003, 08:56 PM
2006 DGP Sold 10/24/2012

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW I had to sign a waiver stating that I would only use the cable chains before the dealership would release the car to me.

Santa Rosa Steve
Old 12-08-2003, 12:15 AM
Advanced

Steve, are you leasing? I am surprised that they would make you sign something like that in California (did you buy in Santa Rosa), but I have never heard of such a waiver up here in Colorado!
Old 12-08-2003, 01:11 AM
Instructor

they made me sign that waver as well, bought it in Cerittos Ca.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:04 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
No chains, but I do carry my traction-aids.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:12 AM
wiz
Pro

Luckily I don't have to deal with this since I live in Georgia. That being said, I'm going to be driving up to Cleveland, OH for New Year's eve, so I'm expecting to have to drive through some snow up there. I don't think it will be much of a problem though since they plow most of the streets up there, and I'll be going pretty slow the whole time. That and I've driven in snow before, so this won't be anything too new to me.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:40 PM
2006 DGP Sold 10/24/2012

Originally posted by calbear2k1
Steve, are you leasing?
Yes, but it is SOP on all of their transactions, according to the dealer, Marin Acura.

My owner's manual lists only one recommended part # for cable chains, Security Chain Company CH2412T, but when you go on the SCC website it shows a different model # SC1030.

Santa Rosa Steve
Old 12-08-2003, 10:42 PM
10th Gear

cables

I had some snow cables, not chains, from a rental car I had in Tahoe last year. They fit nicely on the TSX. The tires are low profile, but not that low. Just don't get cables that are too big, and would scratch the rims.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:21 PM
Instructor

I think chains are illegal in Illinois. Too damaging to the roads. At least, I don't remember seeing them for at least 15-20 years.

Tire cables? don't think I've ever seen those either.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:32 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I never signed a waiver and I would be interested, but the last thing I want to do is hurt the car. I had chains for my '96 altima and they were a lifesaver on a few occasions.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:19 PM
Cruisin'

I picked up some tire cables from a NAPA auto parts and the part number I got was CH 2311T. The manual recommened CH2412T but I think that might be obsolete. Has anyone bought these tire cables? And if so did you guys have any difficulty installing them?
Old 11-21-2004, 04:52 PM
6 speed yo!

they made us sign that also...we actually didn't sign it when we picked the car up so they called us a week later saying we have to sign it and fax it.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:16 AM
Tuxedo Cat

Originally Posted by tsxhondatuner
they made us sign that also...we actually didn't sign it when we picked the car up so they called us a week later saying we have to sign it and fax it.
SCC seems to have five different cable-chain models for our stock tire size, all of which satisfy the "Class S" requirement for limited clearances. Model numbers will probably be different for wider non-stock tires.

SZ 331
CH 2311T
SC 1030
Z 547
SZ 133

In my experience, the Z chains work better than the "straight across" type of cable, and cause less tire wear. I'd be very interested in the SZ133 ("Super Z6" model) which looks like it'll have the least clearance issues.

I doubt I'll need any for the places I drive, but might consider a set. In Utah, generally the rule is "snow tires or chains" and I expect to have a set of good snow tires on the car before it sees snow.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:07 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the info VeniceBeachTSX, yeah I probably will only use the cables like once a year but I am just afraid that it will damage my car if I use the incorrect type. I was reading the cable installation manual when I noticed that you are not supposed to use them on bare pavement. However yesterday when I was trying to drive up to my local mountain (Mt. High) to snowboard I noticed that they forced people to install cables/chains when the roads weren't even all icy or snowed up and I was afraid that running them on bare pavement for like 2 or 3 miles will damage the cables and cause fender damage or worst damage my suspension!
Old 11-23-2004, 03:28 PM
Tuxedo Cat

Originally Posted by Snowflake
Thanks for the info VeniceBeachTSX, yeah I probably will only use the cables like once a year but I am just afraid that it will damage my car if I use the incorrect type. I was reading the cable installation manual when I noticed that you are not supposed to use them on bare pavement. However yesterday when I was trying to drive up to my local mountain (Mt. High) to snowboard I noticed that they forced people to install cables/chains when the roads weren't even all icy or snowed up and I was afraid that running them on bare pavement for like 2 or 3 miles will damage the cables and cause fender damage or worst damage my suspension!
That's weird. Usually they make you CARRY chains at all times during the winter, but only install them when necessary. There has been a lot of snow at higher elevations and I wonder if things were more screwed up high up than you thought.

A few miles probably won't be a big deal, though it's not great for your tires.

This is part of the reason I can't be bothered to ski in California anymore. They make you chain up for conditions that I used to drive in with an old Datsun 510 and cheap snow tires. Unfortunately, they have to presume that everybody is an idiot.

Out in Utah (where I am right now) the chains/4WD requirement only goes into effect in the worst conditions. Most of the time they're fine with any M&S rated tire, including most all-seasons, and are certainly happy with a good set of snows.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

I bought my car in Northern California, but they never made me sign a waiver.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:38 PM
Registered AssHat

In Oregon, when I go to Mt. Hood for skiing, You must carry them. I have the 4WD Jeep, so When all the 2wd guys are chaining, I can keep going. Then they require chains of ALL vehicles at Condition B.

Just in case, I've got 2 sets of chains to transform the Jeep into a snowplow (until I get stuck).
Old 07-18-2005, 04:45 AM
Cruisin'

Chains for 225/45/17?

Hi everyone,

We're planning on driving to the snow in Victoria, Australia. I've read reviews that recommend the Accord Euro Luxury (as well as some other cars) as suitable for driving in snow conditions.
However the manual says not to use chains on this size wheel/tyre combo. I used to live in Colorado and never used chains, however in Victoria under certain conditions it is compulsory to fit chains. (Otherwise an expensive fine )
Has anyone used chains on this tyre/wheel combo?
There appears to be plenty of clearance in the wheel well, and as long as there is no damage to the car, I am not worried about what Honda say in their manual. (Often overly cautious. Thanks to you litigious Yanks )
Any info would be great.
Thanks
kRaZy