Should I get tires changed on my 2006 TSX by Acura dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 12:38 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I get tires changed on my 2006 TSX by Acura dealership?

I went to the dealership to get a quote on changing all 4 tires (getting the OEM's replaced) and they gave me a rate quote of $1033 for 4 tires (Turanza Serenity) at $181.70 per tire (includes road hazard coverage) + mount and balance ~125 + alignment ~ $80 + disposal + tax. It seems that the charges for balancing and alignment are awefully high.

When I mentioned my concern to the service agent that the cost of balancing + alignment is way too high while other service centers like bridgestone etc charge half that price, he mentioned that the acura dealerships have special equipment for alignment and balancing and hence the charges. He mentioned that their equipment takes care of the tow-in while other service center equipments cannot. Not sure what that means and was wondering if it is a good idea to go to a non-acura service center to get tires changed?

Appreciate any feedback on the same.

Thanks

dm
Old 04-13-2009, 02:11 PM
No room in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Their price for the tires w/ road hazard is basically identical to Tire Rack, so that's fine. The mount/balance and alignment are a little high.

The service guy is feeding you . I'm guessing he was talking about toe (rather than tow :P), which can be adjusted by any service center... so I'd say tell him to screw off for lying to you. Of course, this assumes you can get good tires reasonably priced elsewhere. Shipping on tire rack sucks if you're not getting wheels also, free mount and balance helps ease the sting of that extra $$. Otherwise you're taking away some of the money saved by having an independent service center mount/balance for you.

Question: is the alignment just something you're doing as a regular checkup? I wouldn't think changing tires should affect alignment.

Last edited by Takran; 04-13-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:31 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Takran
Shipping on tire rack sucks if you're not getting wheels also, free mount and balance helps ease the sting of that extra $$. Otherwise you're taking away some of the money saved by having an independent service center mount/balance for you.

Question: is the alignment just something you're doing as a regular checkup? I wouldn't think changing tires should affect alignment.
Thanks a bunch Takran, I might just go to the firestone and get it changed then. One quick question though, Tirerack was also on my list to check for the rates for just the tires (am not planning on getting the wheels), can you please elaborate on your statement about shipping from tirerack? Do you mean that since tirerack is going to ship it to me, it may cost me extra to get the mounting and balancing done which may cost me extra?

As far as alignment goes, I just thought it is something you may need to get done when you change tires, but I guess not
Regards

dm
Old 04-13-2009, 07:00 PM
No room in

Originally Posted by dnm5164
Thanks a bunch Takran, I might just go to the firestone and get it changed then. One quick question though, Tirerack was also on my list to check for the rates for just the tires (am not planning on getting the wheels), can you please elaborate on your statement about shipping from tirerack? Do you mean that since tirerack is going to ship it to me, it may cost me extra to get the mounting and balancing done which may cost me extra?

As far as alignment goes, I just thought it is something you may need to get done when you change tires, but I guess not
Regards

dm
Shipping from Tire Rack = extra $$ you have to pay on top of the cost of the tires, plus when you get them you have to take them to a shop to mount them. If you buy tires from a shop, there's no shipping cost, only mounting/balancing. That said, if the shop is charging you too much for them Tire Rack could still be cheaper. It doesn't hurt to check, just make sure to get a shipping quote from Tire Rack when considering total cost.

If you buy tires and wheels at the same time from Tire Rack, they include free mounting and balancing before shipping them to you

Tires (or wheels for that matter) shouldn't affect alignment. Suspension upgrades are the main thing that require alignment. That said, if you have a good reason to suspect your alignment is off (any uneven wear on the old tires), you should get it checked to make sure you don't prematurely wear your new tires.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
How "special" is the dealers tire equipment versus the chain store Tire centers?

Tire centers to consider besides Firestone - Discount Tire or America's Tire, Just Tires, Costco, etc. I've dealt with Discount Tire and Just Tires..if they don't carry the tire I want, they can order them.

$1033 is way steep, but then the tires you're looking to get are $160/tire (215/50R17)on Tirerack. Any particular reason for the Turanzas?

$80 alignment? Sears charges $60.

Last edited by PACman; 04-13-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:40 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by PACman
How "special" is the dealers tire equipment versus the chain store Tire centers?

Tire centers to consider besides Firestone - Discount Tire or America's Tire, Just Tires, Costco, etc. I've dealt with Discount Tire and Just Tires..if they don't carry the tire I want, they can order them.

$1033 is way steep, but then the tires you're looking to get are $160/tire (215/50R17)on Tirerack. Any particular reason for the Turanzas?

$80 alignment? Sears charges $60.
actually no real reason, the first time when i went to the dealer he mentioned about the tires and so that stuck to me. But tirerack has a great review for General Exclaim tire and it seems to be at a very good price. I am slowing leaning towards it.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:44 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Takran
Shipping from Tire Rack = extra $$ you have to pay on top of the cost of the tires, plus when you get them you have to take them to a shop to mount them. If you buy tires from a shop, there's no shipping cost, only mounting/balancing. That said, if the shop is charging you too much for them Tire Rack could still be cheaper. It doesn't hurt to check, just make sure to get a shipping quote from Tire Rack when considering total cost.

If you buy tires and wheels at the same time from Tire Rack, they include free mounting and balancing before shipping them to you

Tires (or wheels for that matter) shouldn't affect alignment. Suspension upgrades are the main thing that require alignment. That said, if you have a good reason to suspect your alignment is off (any uneven wear on the old tires), you should get it checked to make sure you don't prematurely wear your new tires.
One thing I have noticed is that if I buy from tirerack I may not have to pay the sales tax but instead I ll be paying for the shipping whereas if i get it from the retail store, it will be the other way round.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:52 PM
No room in

But tirerack has a great review for General Exclaim tire and it seems to be at a very good price. I am slowing leaning towards it.
I had these mounted on the new wheels I bought, in 235/40ZR18. Just got the wheels today so I can't say how they feel, but if they come close to living up to the reviews, you can't beat the price.

One thing I have noticed is that if I buy from tirerack I may not have to pay the sales tax but instead I ll be paying for the shipping whereas if i get it from the retail store, it will be the other way round.
Good catch, I tend to forget about sales tax because I shop online so much... you may do just as well going through Tire Rack.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Modding newbie

I avoid the dealer as much as possible. I never use the dealer for things like this. You'll get much better service at a good shop than you'll ever get at a dealership.
I'm using the Turanza Serenity tires ATM but don't think I'd get them again. They're very comfortable, but I don't like the lack of responsiveness. I like a tire with a little better response time and consistancy. If you don't do much "spirited" driving, they're great, but not quite where I'd like them.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:22 AM
Instructor

wow that is way to much for stock tires. im getting new tires for my 18s and am only going to pay like 500. u might want to check out another place other than the dealer.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:28 AM
No room in

Originally Posted by carcrazyboy68
wow that is way to much for stock tires. im getting new tires for my 18s and am only going to pay like 500. u might want to check out another place other than the dealer.
Turanza Serenity is not the stock tire, it's better, and our stock tires are actually more expensive ($200/tire vs. $160/tire).

But you are right, there are good tires out there for less. The Generals on my 18s were about $500.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:26 AM
10th Gear

Thanks a bunch everyone for the feedback. I ll just go ahead and order General Exclaim.