Old 12-10-2010, 03:16 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Cool Review: Function & Form / HT-Spec Type 2

Function & Form / HeelToe Spec Type 2 Coilovers

Pictures:

Specs:

-Upper mount with rubber bushing pre-installed for simple installation
-Separate height and spring pre-load adjustment for huge height range adjustment from as little as .5" up to 3" down from stock.
-Zinc coated shock tubes and aluminum adjustment collars for corrosion resistance.
-Rear lower mounts fit perfectly without washers (TL) or grinding (TSX).
-HeelToe-tuned damper valving to produce ride and handling that Acura drivers prefer by popular demand.
-Spring rates specified by HeelToe to provide ideal ride and handling balance with up to 3 passengers.
− 32 clicks of firmness adjustment to fine-tune the ride and handling of the suspension.
- Future support of F2's groundbreaking WIRELESS electronic damper control unit, to be released soon.

Comments:

Before I purchased these, I was in the market for coilovers for a while looking for a good price and overall a good product. My eyes were set on the "Buddy Club N+" since it seemed to be a very popular choice in our TSX community. But then I read that Marcus @ HeelToeAutomotive was working on a new coilover kit with Function & Form. So I waited and read his progress on his coilovers and he went through 3 versions to finally get the coilovers right, which I made me very impressed because he did not stopped till he believed himself it was a great product which he can stand by and sell.

There are two types of of versions that HT-Spec offers. The Type 1 offers full height adjustment (seriously you can ride on your side skirts if you really wanna go that low) w/ a set dampening. And the Type 2's offer full height and dampening adjustment (32 Clicks). And with both these Type’s you have a option of swapping the standard springs with Eibach ERS Springs which are encouraged for drivers with higher grip and sport tendencies. I myself just drive from point A to point B so I really wasn’t in the need for the Eibach ERS springs, since it was mostly for daily driving, so I just went with the Type 2’s with the dampening adjustment instead of upgrading the springs.

The original Function & Form Type 1 & Type 2's had a fitment issue because they were made for Accords and certain adjustments were needed to make the coilover fit (Grinding). This has been eliminated by Marcus & it has been made to fit the TSX without adjusting or grinding anything.

Ride:

When I first drove my car I instantly felt less body roll and more planted to the ground, and already before adjusting the coilovers the the dampening is already set for our car (Stiff in the front & Soft in the Rear). After adjusting the dampening to my liking the car felt great. It takes bumps very nicely, No squeaking or noises.

Comments:

I remember reading members complaining that Buddy Club N+’s were too soft for their liking, well if your looking for a aggressive coilover that is stiff, but still can go soft if needed. Then this is the coilover for you. It is a really soild setup, and for the price and options it comes with you honestly cant go wrong. Marcus went through trial and error to get this setup right.

Pictures (Installed):

Comments:

You can go 3 more inches lower than this.. “you can ride on your side skirts if you wanted to “ – Marcus.

Comments & Questions Welcome

-Jay

Links:

Build Thread: HT-Spec

Purchase: Function & Form / HT-Spec
Old 12-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow thanks for the write up. How does it soak up small random bumps? does it feel planted? and how much was it?
Old 01-09-2011, 05:49 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
update?
Old 01-19-2011, 02:48 AM
3rd Gear

How do you adjust the suspension on the function and forms?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Cruisin'

omgaaahh.
i just ordered my bc.n+

-____-
Old 01-26-2011, 01:26 PM
10th Gear

any reason as to why you got the type 2 over the type 1?
Old 01-26-2011, 03:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dieselstation
wow thanks for the write up. How does it soak up small random bumps? does it feel planted? and how much was it?
It does pretty well, and the car feels very planted when driving and taking sharp turns.

For price inquires please check w/ Marcus @ Heeltoeauto for the best prices.

Originally Posted by JDM EuroR
How do you adjust the suspension on the function and forms?
You adjust the height w/ releasing the perches and simply twisting the coilover to any height you desire.

And w/ adjusting the dampening you simply adjust it by the dial on top + for stiffening the suspension. - for softening the suspension.

Originally Posted by cl9leo
any reason as to why you got the type 2 over the type 1?
Type 1 = Only Height adjustment.

Type 2 = Height & Dampening adjustment.

Depends on what your looking for if your just looking for something to drop you ride and not looking to adjust the dampening then go type 1. But if your afraid that you might want to adjust it a bit then go w/ the Type 2. Either choice will be a great one.

Check w/ Marcus @ Heeltoe for the best prices on these coils.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:54 PM
10th Gear

yeah i actually just ordered them from marcus (i live like 15 min from him so i can pick up rather then wait)

was a hard choice but since my car is auto, type 1 seems like the way to go, since i just cruise and do no spirited driving :P
Old 01-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Instructor

yeah i actually just ordered them from marcus (i live like 15 min from him so i can pick up rather then wait)

was a hard choice but since my car is auto, type 1 seems like the way to go, since i just cruise and do no spirited driving :P
Great! For the price and the quality they offer its a good choice. And dont worry the Type 1's is still a great product, and will still be able to handle a little "Spirited Driving"

Post pictures and maybe a mini review after you get them installed, hope to see and read it soon.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:11 AM
Instructor

Bump for great coils.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:13 PM
El Cunado

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Look and sound great to me; great job!
Old 02-01-2011, 03:32 PM
10th Gear

I got my coilovers and i have a question for you, i cant afford too much downtime adjusting the ride height

anyway you can give me these two measurements for your current ride height?

Old 02-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Instructor

I got my coilovers and i have a question for you, i cant afford too much downtime adjusting the ride height

anyway you can give me these two measurements for your current ride height?

Sorry man, I would give you those measurements but my car is currently and has been @ the acura dealer for the past month due to some transmission problems. I'm currently having my manual transmission completely rebuilt.

http://www.tsx club.com/forums/1st-gen-image-gallery/42178-mayuga-mr-polished-official-progress-thread.html

Link to the progress of my car.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Instructor

How the car sits now w/ the HT Specs:

Old 04-27-2011, 04:38 AM
Instructor

Payed a visit to Marcus@Heeltoe to install the (Work in Progress) HT Spec Version 2's (Rear Side Only).

The goal with the Version 2's are to improve what was already there because there is always room to improve. When driving the original HT Specs, Marcus and I had a few comments and suggestions which would make the kit feel even better than before. So Marcus went ahead w/ Function & Form.. to create new shocks calibrated to the settings we desired. So far we are looking to improve the rear first which we honestly felt was a little too stiff. So we changed it w/ a softer dampener.

After installing it and taking the car on a very.. very.. very.. "Sprited Drive" we can see the improvements instantly and we are very happy w/ the resuilts.. of course I will still be driving the car w/ the new shocks and testing it out freeways, and day to day driving. But so far so good, this Version 2's are still in a work on progress so you will not be seeing any prices or anything about it anytime soon, till we are totally confident w/ the results.

Marcus is currently working on ordering the new Version 2 shocks for the front as we speak, so I will keep you guys updated as time comes.

So far driving home, I can already feel the difference so I am very excited to see how this we all end up.

Pictures:

HT Spec Version 2 Shocks (Rear):

Switching out the shocks:

Old 05-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Still here

Any chance the F&F v2 has a longer body allowing for less than a 1.5" drop?
Old 05-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Advanced

thanks for the review! i'm really really tempted to get this. Any idea when V2 is coming? Also i'd still like a chance to test drive your car if possible.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Are both Type 1 and Type 2 monotube?
Old 05-07-2011, 11:37 PM
2nd Gear

Would you know the size of the spring? I.D.?

Thanks
Old 05-11-2011, 08:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Both are twin tube.

I am fairly sure these are 65mm springs. Will have to report back on that.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:44 AM
Instructor

ttt
Old 06-03-2011, 03:05 AM
2nd Gear

Just wondering what springs rates have you tried on? I was thinking of swapping in softer spring up front..

thanks
Old 12-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Instructor

PMs Replied.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:59 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
just installed the coilovers 2 months and the suspensions are making a clunking noise like the coilovers are blown and bottoming out but the ride is not bouncy. I haven't touched the preload at all. And I'm not even dropped that much.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:51 AM
Noob

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by paulonfiya
just installed the coilovers 2 months and the suspensions are making a clunking noise like the coilovers are blown and bottoming out but the ride is not bouncy. I haven't touched the preload at all. And I'm not even dropped that much.
Not good! "I was actually eyeing these.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Former Sponsor

We are actually finding that people claiming they have not done anything with preload are not doing themselves any favors. The front especially needs 1/4" to 1/2" of preload.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:19 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i have same problem but rear passenger side. i have ff type 1 the same bolt lil vibration while im driving. i tried to tightening up the bolt but is tight already. heeltoe any idea to solve this problem ?
Old 02-01-2012, 09:48 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by BLEU TSX ON DECK
Same here. I guess I'll spend the extra for the Tein Monoflex.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Cruisin'

ok so as far as other components along with coilovers what is recommended. I see that they make adjustable ball joints for the front and arms for the back. Im sure that coilovers alone will not satisfy so I need to know what else I need to go with the F&F type 1s to keep a good look and ride.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Brandon Bennett
Same here. I guess I'll spend the extra for the Tein Monoflex.
I cannot comprehend how someone would be considering these and also considering the Monoflex...they are completely different and non-comparable systems....

Originally Posted by BLEU TSX ON DECK
Based on one person who says they did not touch the preload when we are suggesting that they do just that? We are providing all the support needed to anyone who wants it. I promise, you won't find that in any system in this price point anywhere else. Just the same, we know the HTSpec are not for EVERYONE...email us for some advice and we will get you straight! support@heeltoeauto.com

Originally Posted by TSXer1
ok so as far as other components along with coilovers what is recommended. I see that they make adjustable ball joints for the front and arms for the back. Im sure that coilovers alone will not satisfy so I need to know what else I need to go with the F&F type 1s to keep a good look and ride.
All the parts satisfy different needs...your question here is showing me you really don't know what all the various parts do. Call me at 949-295-1668 for consultation and all will become clear.

Marcus
Old 05-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Racer

@Marcus... Does this setup allow anything less than a 1.5" drop? I currently have ebaich springs and the car looks great but is a little to low for my liking.

Originally Posted by e_lectro
Any chance the F&F v2 has a longer body allowing for less than a 1.5" drop?
Old 05-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Yes is does now in the latest version. You can get is practically to stock height.