Rear camber setting after lowering

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 10:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear camber setting after lowering

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction.

I've lowered the car with Tein SS, and my rear camber is off (left -1.5 degree, right -2.15 degree)

Can we adjust the rear camber to balance out (ie. -1.5 on both side) wihout getting a rear camber kit ?

Was told by a workshop that I'll need the SPC rear camber kit so as to tune on the camber setting. Is that bulls or there's other alternative ?

BTW, what is the optimal setting for 18", lowered for street use ?

Thanks !
Old 03-25-2005, 12:23 PM
Got Milk???

Originally Posted by mel4fun
Hi Folks,

Just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction.

I've lowered the car with Tein SS, and my rear camber is off (left -1.5 degree, right -2.15 degree)

Can we adjust the rear camber to balance out (ie. -1.5 on both side) wihout getting a rear camber kit ?

Was told by a workshop that I'll need the SPC rear camber kit so as to tune on the camber setting. Is that bulls or there's other alternative ?

BTW, what is the optimal setting for 18", lowered for street use ?

Thanks !
The workshop is correct. Stock oem rear suspension does not allow you to adjust cambers. You'd need either SPC rear camber or Ingalls rear camber. SPCs are a lot beefier than the Ingalls, but the Ingalls are a lot more easier to install.

I've just lowered my car on Eibach Prokit 1.6"F & 1.4"R running on 18x7.5 225/40/18, have also installed the SPC camber kit. Right now the setting is at -0.2 degrees left and -1.4 right. Planning to adjust the left to -0.5 and right to -0.8 so it's in good ratio with stock settings.

Also, why does it seem like most stock camber settings have the rear right a lot more negative compared to the rear left? my setting prior to lowering was -1.3L and -2.1R?

-K
Old 03-25-2005, 12:37 PM
Luke 1:37

Just a guess, but maybe to compensate for the driver weight???
Old 03-25-2005, 12:44 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by kaikai114
Also, why does it seem like most stock camber settings have the rear right a lot more negative compared to the rear left? my setting prior to lowering was -1.3L and -2.1R?

-K

Interesting. I borrowed a camber gage last night for an alignment that I'm planning on do on my Prelude this Sunday. I just did a quick measurement on the TSX. The rear cambers are also different.

Want to know what my rear cambers are with my aggressive drop?

-3.7 driver side & -4.4 passenger side
Old 03-25-2005, 03:25 PM
Hondaholic

While there is no adjustment for rear camber (or front camber for that matter), you can even it out a little. The rear multi-link suspension is mounted to a carriage that is bolted to the chassis, and there is some play in that carriage. By loosening the bolts that hold the carriage and shifting it, you can change the camber from one side to the other.

When I was lowered on A-Spec, the dealer tech was able to get my car to -1.8 per side, which I was satisfied with. I recently switched to Tein Flex, and I'm sure that I'm well below -2.0 (but nothing like Vincent ), so I am doing the camber kit. Especially since I'm throwing on some sticky rubber and I'd like not to chew them up. I showed no signs of wear on the hard as a rock stockies......

I've got the Ingalls kit coming; I went with that because it also allows adjustment of toe; does the SPC give you that as well?

As far as an optimum setting, it depends a lot on personal preference. Dropping to -1.0 or .-.05 will certainly change the handling characteristics of the car from understeer towards nuetral or even oversteer, or at least lift throttle oversteer, especially with a bigger rear sway.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:15 PM
cmf
ATCer

Originally Posted by vwong
Interesting. I borrowed a camber gage last night for an alignment that I'm planning on do on my Prelude this Sunday. I just did a quick measurement on the TSX. The rear cambers are also different.

You've been riding this long without an alignment? Man, your specs are way off. Mine were not even that bad. Crazy stuff!
Old 03-25-2005, 08:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait to check out your slammed car w/ the crazy camber tomorow.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:49 PM
Got Milk???

holy sh*t, how often do you wear out the rear rubbers? i'm gon have to pay extra attention on your car tomorrow when we head over to the "secret pass" in Laguna Beach.

-K
Old 03-25-2005, 09:53 PM
Got Milk???

Originally Posted by LannyM

I've got the Ingalls kit coming; I went with that because it also allows adjustment of toe; does the SPC give you that as well?

As far as an optimum setting, it depends a lot on personal preference. Dropping to -1.0 or .-.05 will certainly change the handling characteristics of the car from understeer towards nuetral or even oversteer, or at least lift throttle oversteer, especially with a bigger rear sway.
SPC only allow you to adjust the camber, and it's on the top of the knuckle, so it's pretty hard to reach when adjusting camber.

How much drop do you have on your car with the TEIN FLEX Lanny? And to what degrees are you planning to adjust your rear cambers to?

-K
Old 03-26-2005, 11:54 AM
Hondaholic

Originally Posted by kaikai114
SPC only allow you to adjust the camber, and it's on the top of the knuckle, so it's pretty hard to reach when adjusting camber.

How much drop do you have on your car with the TEIN FLEX Lanny? And to what degrees are you planning to adjust your rear cambers to?

-K
The install manual lists them as being pre-set for a 1.6" drop in the rear; I confirmed all the adjustments and went with that. It seems like it came down more than that though, although my camber is not CRAZY off.

I'm going to dial in about -1.0.......