Old 05-04-2005, 10:38 PM
Drives With Hands

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Edit: nevermind, answered by TSX Hokie
Old 05-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TechSX
The only differance between polyurethane and rubber sway bushings or bushings in general, is that rubber will deteriorate faster. Meaning later down the line, the rubber bushing would no longer hold the sway bar in the optimum postion allowing the sway bar to flex/move around.

A BRAND NEW rubber bushing and polyurethane bushing will work exactly the same.
They don't work exactly the same. The swaybar initially didn't do anything until the bushings (endlinks and D bushings) are compressed to the point that the "gives" are gone. Poly bushings being harder reduces that reactiion time and the swaybar seems more responsive and therefore, behaves like a larger bar. There are also solid bushings which further enhances that affect.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:55 PM
Top notch 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alin10123
Actually, the polyurethane bushings do last longer; But they also have very little flex compared with the rubber bushings.
I upgraded to poly bushings once on my 4runner. After i replace the rubber with poly. It felt like i had a slightly bigger sway bar on there.
But i didn't have a grease gun when i went out to test drive it, so it squeeked when i went over bumps. Once i greased them with the zerk fitting that was on there, all was good.

i bought the energy suspension ones at summitracing.com
Get the greaseable ones that are black.
The black ones are graphite impregnated and will help to reduce squeeking.
Is grease gun a must-have tool to grease up the bushings? For on-going maintenance, is it easy to apply grease to the bushings without grease gun?

I suppose to access the bushings for greasing, jacking up the rear end is pretty much a must? I wonder if I could ask the dealer service guys to do that for me (even on an aftermarket rear sway) when I bring to car in for a regular maintenance any idea?
Old 05-05-2005, 12:53 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 05_TSX_GP
Is grease gun a must-have tool to grease up the bushings? For on-going maintenance, is it easy to apply grease to the bushings without grease gun?

I suppose to access the bushings for greasing, jacking up the rear end is pretty much a must? I wonder if I could ask the dealer service guys to do that for me (even on an aftermarket rear sway) when I bring to car in for a regular maintenance any idea?
Well... if you dont have a grease gun the only way to grease up the bushings is to take the bushings off, grease them, and them put them back on. Which will be a PITA.

SO i guess... even with greaseable bushings, it's impossible to grease the bushings without a grease gun without taking the bushing off.

A grease gun is only like $10 @ home depot. It's worth the investment.
On my 4runner you didn't have to jack up anything to get to the bushings. I just reached under there and put a few squirts.
On the TSX though... i have to take a look. Someone will be able to chime in here. But it's still not a hard job to do.
When i took my 4runner in for an "alignment check" at a tire place, they greased it up for free for me when the technician heard a little bit of squeeking. It only takes 2 seconds.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Top notch 6MT

Well... if you dont have a grease gun the only way to grease up the bushings is to take the bushings off, grease them, and them put them back on. Which will be a PITA.

SO i guess... even with greaseable bushings, it's impossible to grease the bushings without a grease gun without taking the bushing off.

A grease gun is only like $10 @ home depot. It's worth the investment.
On my 4runner you didn't have to jack up anything to get to the bushings. I just reached under there and put a few squirts.
On the TSX though... i have to take a look. Someone will be able to chime in here. But it's still not a hard job to do.
When i took my 4runner in for an "alignment check" at a tire place, they greased it up for free for me when the technician heard a little bit of squeeking. It only takes 2 seconds.
Thanks for your input

I am a giant when it comes to holding the tools/parts and doing things myself. I do read up and easily understand most mechanical stuff but just not used to "getting my hands dirty" so to speak. Not that I don't want to, I totally intend to start trying to do these simpler stuff myself
Old 05-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vwong
Once a month? I've only grease them (in my Prelude) once so far (other than the initial install), and I've had the bar since mid-2002.
When I say once a month is recommended I am not speaking from personal experience. I have rubber bushings. Someone I know who is knowlegable in cars suggested the greasing once a month or I will hear a noise from the rear end. Possibly since it is very dry in Colorado that kind of maintenance is needed here more often that other places. Climate plays tricks on our cars no matter which car you have, that is why the manual has normal and severe driving conditions as far as maintenance goes. It all depends on where you live I guess.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If you have the greaseable fitting on the D-bushing, then you should be able to apply the grease with the grease gun without taking the bushing apart, as the bushing has "channels" inside to distribute the grease. I have the non-greaseable poly bushings on the other car and I only greased it during the initial installation about 6 years ago and I've never had to lube it again since. I used the grease from Energy Suspension. I did the same thing to my Toyota truck about 2 years ago with the same result. I think using the right kind of grease would lessen the lube interval.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Are you correcting my grammer? Or are you just really confused?

I asked why a hollow bar would be stronger than a solid
Oh I was just emphasizing how confused I was. It didn't make sense to me, but I am a noob here so it all makes sense in the end.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:25 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by NightShredder
Oh I was just emphasizing how confused I was. It didn't make sense to me, but I am a noob here so it all makes sense in the end.
It's all good, your confusion confused me
Old 05-05-2005, 09:26 PM
Drifting

I put in the bar last night, the install went pretty smoothly. Was a bit annoying getting the sway bar in, had to twist and bend to get it in the right position. Took about an hour over all, going slowly to make sure everything was right.

The car feels a lot more stable now, especially at higher speeds. You really can feel the tires giving out easier now though because the car can take faster turns than the tires can handle. This was a nice addition to the TSX already great handeling.
When you say the car feels a lot more stable now. Is that while going through turns at higher speeds? Or higher speeds as in highway driving?
Old 05-05-2005, 09:31 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
When you say the car feels a lot more stable now. Is that while going through turns at higher speeds? Or higher speeds as in highway driving?
Both, it used to feel a little unstable when I started hitting the 90-100mph, now that is gone, its solid at high speed now.

You can also take turns now that were a bit shakey to take before, you can really throw her around a bit more now.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:38 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,860 Likes on 2,580 Posts
Both, it used to feel a little unstable when I started hitting the 90-100mph, now that is gone, its solid at high speed now.

You can also take turns now that were a bit shakey to take before, you can really throw her around a bit more now.
ok i have heard to much about this I am getting a rear sway as my next mod no questions
Old 05-05-2005, 11:32 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
ok i have heard to much about this I am getting a rear sway as my next mod no questions
Are you sure? Neither the Comptech nor the Progress are JDM.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:41 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
CCC is screwed
Old 05-06-2005, 01:29 AM
Drifting

Thanks for your input

I am a giant when it comes to holding the tools/parts and doing things myself. I do read up and easily understand most mechanical stuff but just not used to "getting my hands dirty" so to speak. Not that I don't want to, I totally intend to start trying to do these simpler stuff myself
If you're afraid to get grease under your fingernails, just buy some latex gloves.
That's what all the tech's at the dealership use. lol
But using a grease gun wont get your dirty at all. The grease fitting fits directly into the head of the gun. Just pull the trigger and grease flows into the bushing.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:37 AM
Drifting

Ok, i just went out and looked under my TSX for you. It doesn't look like you have to jack up the rear in order to get a grease gun under there. So... just get on your knees and reach under the car.

On a side note, man... the stock swaybar is TINY!
Old 05-06-2005, 01:43 AM
Drifting

If anyone here needs greaseable bushings here's a link.

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp

Click on the "energy suspension" link.
Here's the part # ENS-9-5158G

They are the black ones that are graphite impregnated (prevents squeeking even more), plus they have the zerk fitting on there. These are for the 22mm swaybar. If the TSX had end link bushings, then you could get those too from summit racing. But from closer inspection, the stock ones dont have endlink bushings. So,... these will do. Not bad for $13.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:23 AM

well thats the thing I have both my local tuner shops looking right now and calling everywhere to find me a JDM one. Maybe I will go with H&R
Old 05-06-2005, 07:19 AM
Instructor

Instructions..
http://www.thefesteringcyforce.com/g...sx-sway-04.jpg

It says outer holes are softer setting

I had it for about 3 month now... haven't heard any noise but i figure by winter Ill need to get under there..

I been able to take turns marked at 35 around 60-65.. scaring people left and right...

The HR bar supposely has special poly bushing that requires no grease, it just came out and on heavy back order... also 22mm.. I'm hoping one day to buy their bushing since I already own the the progress bar
Old 05-06-2005, 09:49 AM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
well thats the thing I have both my local tuner shops looking right now and calling everywhere to find me a JDM one. Maybe I will go with H&R
H&R isn't JDM either.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:01 AM

H&R isn't JDM either.
but its not american either
Old 05-06-2005, 10:39 AM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
but its not american either
it's european
Old 05-06-2005, 11:31 AM
Top notch 6MT

If anyone here needs greaseable bushings here's a link.

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp

Click on the "energy suspension" link.
Here's the part # ENS-9-5158G

They are the black ones that are graphite impregnated (prevents squeeking even more), plus they have the zerk fitting on there. These are for the 22mm swaybar. If the TSX had end link bushings, then you could get those too from summit racing. But from closer inspection, the stock ones dont have endlink bushings. So,... these will do. Not bad for $13.
Thanks Alin for all the wonder info!!! I am not afraid to get my hands dirty, just don't want to mess things up on my ride, that's all... so doing lots of research before actually ordering and installing anything on it. There's no better place than a-tsx to search on TSX

One question out of curiousity. I've been having some noise from the rearend from time to time, sounds like metal tapping noise which (from my previous searches here) may have to do with endlink (my car is bone stock). It seems a good number of users here have experienced noise from stock endlink (being loose and whatnot). Now you mention there's no endlink bushing on the stock bar, can this be a reason for those endlink noise?

Couple more related questions On the stock bar without endlink bushing, can I still somehow apply some grease to that joint? Would that eliminate the rearend noise I have?
Old 05-06-2005, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by jmathew34
it's european
CALLING ALL JDM COMPANIES. SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE A REAR SWAY FOR THE EURO R I WILL BUY IT!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2005, 11:37 AM

Thanks Alin for all the wonder info!!! I am not afraid to get my hands dirty, just don't want to mess things up on my ride, that's all... so doing lots of research before actually ordering and installing anything on it. There's no better place than a-tsx to search on TSX

One question out of curiousity. I've been having some noise from the rearend from time to time, sounds like metal tapping noise which (from my previous searches here) may have to do with endlink (my car is bone stock). It seems a good number of users here have experienced noise from stock endlink (being loose and whatnot). Now you mention there's no endlink bushing on the stock bar, can this be a reason for those endlink noise?

Couple more related questions On the stock bar without endlink bushing, can I still somehow apply some grease to that joint? Would that eliminate the rearend noise I have?
after putting in my new suspension i also have noise from the endlinks how do I get rid of it
Old 05-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Top notch 6MT

CALLING ALL JDM COMPANIES. SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE A REAR SWAY FOR THE EURO R I WILL BUY IT!!!!!!
Man, that hurted my eyes

questions regarding Euro-R: what size is the stock rear sway on it?? Same as our TSX stock one? You mean, not Mugen, not Spoon has a beefed up rear sway for the Euro-R ?!?!
Old 05-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
questions regarding Euro-R: what size is the stock rear sway on it?? Same as our TSX stock one?
It's 14mm so it must be close if not he same as the TSX.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Burning Brakes

sway bar is cool but you should also get the a-spec sport suspension. A-spec and sway go together like pb and jelly. Everything they said about response and handling with sway +10.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Burning Brakes

The other day I passed a line of cars on Loveland Pass here and looked down to see 105 mph. Loveland is a two lane mountain pass with a speed limit of 35. I didn't even know or feel like I was going that fast. Needless to say I slowed down, but it was suprising how stable and smooth the car was at that speed.

Physics still applies in turns. Be careful of oversteer. I don't go into corners as hot as I come out but I do go into them faster than if I had stock. Once I get into the turn I can stomp it and the car just sticks.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Drifting

One thin you could do is get under there and take your hand the try to wiggle it. The end links on the sway bars are ball joints. Usually the ball joints that i have typically seen have a rubber seal that's already on there and those rubber seals are usually filled with grease. So... from my personal experience with other swaybars, i dont think that the grease is the problem. Now on the other hand, if you take your hand and you wiggle the endlinks and there's a little bit of play somewhere between the suspension and the actual swaybar end. You might want to try tightening the bolt up that connects the swaybar to the endlinks. Otherwise... if it's still loose, you may have a bad endlink.

Let me know what you find. I'll do my best to help you out.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Drifting

after putting in my new suspension i also have noise from the endlinks how do I get rid of it
After the suspension settled in did you get under there and retorque everything to spec? If not, that's probably your culprit.
If the bolt is tight within specs, you may want to take your hand and try to wiggle the endlink. The endlink is basically made of ball joints. The balljoints should be moveable by hand but there should be a LOT of resistance. If it's loose or you can move the balljoints easily while it's connected to the swaybar, you may have a bad balljoint. Also, if there's grease leaking out of the balljoint, you may have a bad endlink. Go and check under the car, and let me know.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:32 PM

sway bar is cool but you should also get the a-spec sport suspension. A-spec and sway go together like pb and jelly. Everything they said about response and handling with sway +10.
Already got the tein flex coilovers
Old 05-06-2005, 02:34 PM

The other day I passed a line of cars on Loveland Pass here and looked down to see 105 mph. Loveland is a two lane mountain pass with a speed limit of 35. I didn't even know or feel like I was going that fast. Needless to say I slowed down, but it was suprising how stable and smooth the car was at that speed.

Physics still applies in turns. Be careful of oversteer. I don't go into corners as hot as I come out but I do go into them faster than if I had stock. Once I get into the turn I can stomp it and the car just sticks.
I look at my speedo all the time after not paying attention and realise I am doing like 20 over it is not a good habit but the car has such a good feeling at high speeds you dont even realise it.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:18 PM
Advanced

Euro R

I look at my speedo all the time after not paying attention and realise I am doing like 20 over it is not a good habit but the car has such a good feeling at high speeds you dont even realise it.
1. I have the EuroR CL7R and have fitted the Comptech 22mm sway bar for about a year now.

Apart for some weight differences due to luxury items and sound proofing and cosmetic styling differences, the JDM Accord, Australian Accord Euro, European Accord and TSX run similar if not identical mechanicals and suspension mounting points. There may be slight differences in damper rates and spring rates but are in the same ballpark.

2. When a sway bar is fitted to any axle, it connects left and right and reduces its independence. It also reduces the overall total grip produced by that axle. It also has the pleasant side effect of reducing body roll. However chassis tuners use it to compromise grip to provide closer to neutral handling when a stiffer bar is used.

It is a torsion bar and only works when it is twisted. It is only tristed when one side is compressed and the other is in extension like in a corner. There is more lean with a soft(standard) suspension and hence the sway bar produces the greatest twist with large suspsnsion movements.

If you limit suspension travel by using stiffer springs, the twist effected by the sway bar is then also less. Most sway bars should come as a complete set with the springs and dampers. However sales of this package is terribly slow I suspect that is why they are sold seperately so you have the freedom to mix and match. (customers like this idea)

The stiffer sway bar is to induce oversteer at the limit. Before the limit, its effect is mainly to limit body roll which is why many users say it is so stable. In an oversteer or even neutral steer, it is typically described as "loose" in the back, some would even describe it as having the willies.

3. Honda has done such a good job in the CL7/CL9 with the rear suspension geometry, there is actually too much grip compared to CL1 and DC2 which were very willing to oversteer. The CL7 errs on the side of safety which is understeer.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:24 PM
Tech

Originally Posted by JTso
They don't work exactly the same. The swaybar initially didn't do anything until the bushings (endlinks and D bushings) are compressed to the point that the "gives" are gone. Poly bushings being harder reduces that reactiion time and the swaybar seems more responsive and therefore, behaves like a larger bar. There are also solid bushings which further enhances that affect.

I agree with you that the stiffer bushings will improve the reaction time and responsiveness of the rear sway, but the ES poly bushings that I purchased had the same stiffness and flex as the factory rubbers. It really comes down to how well both products were made. Honestly speaking, I didn't feel any difference w/ the poly bushings, and I doubt anybody else did. This is just my personal opinion, no flamming intended.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:17 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TechSX
I agree with you that the stiffer bushings will improve the reaction time and responsiveness of the rear sway, but the ES poly bushings that I purchased had the same stiffness and flex as the factory rubbers. It really comes down to how well both products were made. Honestly speaking, I didn't feel any difference w/ the poly bushings, and I doubt anybody else did. This is just my personal opinion, no flamming intended.
Eeer? Really? The polys felt as hard as the rubber ones? hmm... there should be a LITTLE difference. The difference may not be too noticeable, but i'm willing to bet it still helps.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:41 PM
Chris

How hard is this progress bar to install? I've never done any mechanical work like this before? Does anyone have any pictures or instructions? Thanks so much.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:52 PM
TSX

Originally Posted by csj0952
How hard is this progress bar to install? I've never done any mechanical work like this before? Does anyone have any pictures or instructions? Thanks so much.

this is for the comptech but you should get the idea...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21136