Not your everyday wheel/offset questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 03:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not your everyday wheel/offset questions

I'm considering new wheels for my car; same diameter and width as stock but significantly lighter, and staying with the stock tire size. I'm curious what the perceivable effects will be on acceleration and handling for a driver of moderate skills. I have a Comptech rear sway bar, and an A-Spec suspension upgrade will be installed in a week. I don't do autoX or the track.

I've heard varying things about the consequences of putting on wheels with a different (in the TSX's, case, lower) offset than stock. At one extreme, SCC magazine put +43mm wheels on a WRX that came stock with +53mm, and wrote that torque steer increased dramatically. At the other, someone on another set of forums posted that if you can detect a 10-20mm difference in track on your car, you should be working as a test driver for a F1 team.

I have in mind the Kosei K1 TS, which in 17X7 weighs 10lbs less than a TSX stock wheel, and comes in a +50 offset. But it would necessitate a centering ring to make it hubcentric for a TSX; I've heard that these rings present issues of their own, such vibration at speed.

Taking into account all of the above, what might I experience, positive and negative, with a set of these wheels? Tires will be Yoko AVS ES100s or Dunlop SP 9000s, and I'd like to hear opinions as well on which of those two is better and/or lasts longer. Thanks in advance for any knowledgeable info.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:16 AM
Audi Driving Snob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stryker2
I'm considering new wheels for my car; same diameter and width as stock but significantly lighter, and staying with the stock tire size. I'm curious what the perceivable effects will be on acceleration and handling for a driver of moderate skills. I have a Comptech rear sway bar, and an A-Spec suspension upgrade will be installed in a week. I don't do autoX or the track.

I've heard varying things about the consequences of putting on wheels with a different (in the TSX's, case, lower) offset than stock. At one extreme, SCC magazine put +43mm wheels on a WRX that came stock with +53mm, and wrote that torque steer increased dramatically. At the other, someone on another set of forums posted that if you can detect a 10-20mm difference in track on your car, you should be working as a test driver for a F1 team.

I have in mind the Kosei K1 TS, which in 17X7 weighs 10lbs less than a TSX stock wheel, and comes in a +50 offset. But it would necessitate a centering ring to make it hubcentric for a TSX; I've heard that these rings present issues of their own, such vibration at speed.

Taking into account all of the above, what might I experience, positive and negative, with a set of these wheels? Tires will be Yoko AVS ES100s or Dunlop SP 9000s, and I'd like to hear opinions as well on which of those two is better and/or lasts longer. Thanks in advance for any knowledgeable info.
Hey Stryker -- I think you'll find most of us here are big proponents of light weight wheels/tires.(you'll see lots of post about them including one by myself with a spreadsheet that quantifies loss of rotating mass into equivalent static mass) Ill plug your numbers in to it in just a minute and see what it kicks back.

Any thought of going with toyo proxes t1-s? 21lbs in 225/45/17 and sticky as hell. Tire weight is more important than wheel weight as it is at the far edge of the rotating mass. I'm not sure how much the dunlops weigh(I th ink it's light) but the avs I think weigh in like 24 lbs which is only a minor savings over stock.

I loe the k1-ts, light weight and good price. If i was going to buy some new wheels it would be them. As far as i know the reason you use a hub ring is to get ride of any possible vibration. There are several peopel on this board with volks who have to use hub rings and they have no vibration problems.

I can't speak to the offset differences, but the k1ts are close enough to stock that I think no difference would be noticeable. Others can speak to this better than I as there are a wide range of wheels and tires