Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new wheels installed but now tire is flat story and question

i was pretty happy today to get my set of ronjon inspyres in and took them to
the tire shop to install.

when leaving the shop i noticed the dash readout said "check tire pressure"

asked the worker there what was up and he walked away for a few minutes and came back sayin that the acura will reset itself when i've been on the road for ten or so miles.

while driving back i noticed the car leaning ever so slightly to the right and the tire pressure reading 39 front left 37 back left 33 back right and 4 front right.

then the readout went to "error" or something to that effect. an icon of the car with only the front right tire flashing on and off.

i pulled into a gas station and checked all four tires. the front right tire was flat and
as i filled it with air i could hear the air hissing back out immediately. the strange thing was that i also had to wipe some oily liquid off the wheel near the stem. seems like it was escaping from the stem base. not sure if that is the case but that's what it looked like.

anyway now i have to put the old tire back on with the lame tools found in the trunk in the morning and shlep myself back twenty miles to this place which was recommended to me and see what's the deal.

here's the question:

thinking of leaving the car with the flat overnight and changing it in the morning, if that isn't safe could someone let me know? just want to be careful with these new wheels.

had a full morning planned out tomorrow that has to be cancelled due to this problem. don't know who's fault it is yet but will let you know.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
install the spare on the flat and bring it back
most probable the valve stem wasnt put on correctly
this should take about 10 mins ot fix
Old 11-06-2007, 05:58 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBellSauce
install the spare on the flat and bring it back
most probable the valve stem wasnt put on correctly
this should take about 10 mins ot fix
Agree. Installer may not be familiar with the TPMS valve stems and I'd keep an eye on the others too. Too bad he's so far away; who recommended them? I've used Tire Rack's installer database a couple of times (successfully) and maybe you could try it next time. This of course assumes it's a faulty install and not a defective part (or it may have been damaged when switched over to the new wheels).
Old 11-07-2007, 01:29 AM
Advanced

turns out it was a bad install. had to leave the tire/wheel at the dealer til they get another tire in stock (tire driven on while flat and probably bad) which should take a day.

will be picking it up tomorrow.

here's hoping nothing else is wrong. anything i should look out for?
Old 11-07-2007, 06:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

just make sure your sensors work. it doesn't take 10 miles to synch up. it should literally take 10 seconds. so if you are getting an error message, it is no joke.

i don't understand how so many shops do not know how to install tire pressure sensors, especially TIRE SHOPS! the other day a guy said it was impossible to swap the sensors onto my TL rims......but I had it done a week before by a different shop
Old 11-07-2007, 07:15 AM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by CGTSX07
just make sure your sensors work. it doesn't take 10 miles to synch up. it should literally take 10 seconds. so if you are getting an error message, it is no joke.

i don't understand how so many shops do not know how to install tire pressure sensors, especially TIRE SHOPS! the other day a guy said it was impossible to swap the sensors onto my TL rims......but I had it done a week before by a different shop
Hate to differ, but....................I will. There have been a few posts on this forum (and including my own experience) that seem to indicate that it can take that long (up to 10 miles) for the new sensors (or lack of in my case) to be recognized. I believe this is for new sensors though; if the OE ones were just swapped (the computer doesn't know this) it would be no different than as if you'd just taken the wheel(s) off and put it/them back on. That said, I must confess that I have little use for the system anyway, so to be frank, I couldn't care less if they get recognized or synched up or whatever (just something else to stop working properly someday IMHO).
Old 11-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

^^I was just basing that off my own experience. when I sold my stock wheels, I sold the sensors with them too. I eventually got annoyed at the error every morning and bought tsx sensors on ebay. they sat in my garage for a few weeks until i got them installed. when I finally took them to get installed, the error light immediately went away and each pressure was shown for each tire. No miles were driven, in fact, they just drove the car out of their garage so I could take it home. they synched up really fast.

on the other hand, when I did swap my wheels, it took an actual day for the car to realize that the sensors were no longer on my car. so what i was telling bosmet was, if they do not synch up right away, there is a good chance that something is wrong.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Advanced

got the wheel/tire back today and all is fine.

for the record the sensors were taken from the old set. once on the car they were recognized immediately.

i agree that to not use sensors wouldn't make too much difference to me but the sensor error messages from the car would drive me batty. has anyone ever turned them off?
Old 11-07-2007, 07:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad everything worked out, and btw....

Old 11-08-2007, 08:48 AM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by ILoveMyHonda
Glad everything worked out, and btw....

Of what?
Old 11-08-2007, 08:50 AM
Is waiting in

Wheels (Rim & Tires)
Old 11-08-2007, 08:52 AM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by bosmet
got the wheel/tire back today and all is fine.

for the record the sensors were taken from the old set. once on the car they were recognized immediately.

i agree that to not use sensors wouldn't make too much difference to me but the sensor error messages from the car would drive me batty. has anyone ever turned them off?
I believe once you scroll past the warning display on the MID, all you'd have to
live with is the little yellow "i" on the lower left corner of the gauge display.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:17 PM
Advanced

here it is, as requested

still deciding what my next step should be. i'd like to black out the trims and handles. anyone know where to get this?

eventually get the a spec suspension, maybe rsb.

inquired about having someone put the rsb on for me but the guy won't do it because in the past when he put the rsb on for others they always complain about noises and claim he installed it improperly.

is this true about rsb=added noise?

also i'd like to get a mod for the headlights that makes a circle around the outer edge of the light. anyone know what that's called?
Old 11-08-2007, 06:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Simba91102
I believe once you scroll past the warning display on the MID, all you'd have to
live with is the little yellow "i" on the lower left corner of the gauge display.

but if you press any of the display buttons again it will pop up and you have to press many times to get rid of it.