New A-Spec suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 11:26 PM
Have camera, will travel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New A-Spec suspension

I had my A-Spec suspension installed today by JTso, and I wanted to post my initial impressions.

First off, mad props to Johnny. He did a great job installing everything, doing it all by the book; very quick and very thorough. All this while I was talking him up the whole time! The man is a real pro. For all you Seattle area guys who need to have mods done you don't want to tackle yourself, Johnny is your man! He was also nice enough to take me for a spin in his TSX so I could hear how loud the CAI is (not bad at all) and he even let me drive it. His Tein Flex setup is excellent. It looks great and is not nearly as stiff as I had been led to believe it might be. The mods he's made to his car have turned it into a monster! Thanks, Johnny!

So far, I'm loving the new suspension. It hasn't been long, but the car definitely corners flatter and dives much less under hard braking. I love the damping compared to stock, especially the rebound damping. The car feels great and even seems to work the tires better. I took several hard sweepers on the way home and was able to hit them faster than before with less tire squeal (OEM rubber).

I'd equate the A-Spec to the Hondata reflash in that it's more subtle than slap-in-the-face. It's noticeable, in a good way, but you never feel like it's too much. I like it. It's a perfect in between suspension setup. Better than stock, but without the compromises of a full-on coilover setup.

As others have noted, the drop is not dramatic at all. I think we measured something like 1/2-3/4" all the way around. I would expect it to get closer to the advertised 1" as the components settle in.

That's it. I'll post more as I drive more. I'm psyched! CAI and headers next.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:43 AM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by waTSX
I had my A-Spec suspension installed today by JTso, and I wanted to post my initial impressions.

First off, mad props to Johnny. He did a great job installing everything, doing it all by the book; very quick and very thorough. All this while I was talking him up the whole time! The man is a real pro. For all you Seattle area guys who need to have mods done you don't want to tackle yourself, Johnny is your man! He was also nice enough to take me for a spin in his TSX so I could hear how loud the CAI is (not bad at all) and he even let me drive it. His Tein Flex setup is excellent. It looks great and is not nearly as stiff as I had been led to believe it might be. The mods he's made to his car have turned it into a monster! Thanks, Johnny!

So far, I'm loving the new suspension. It hasn't been long, but the car definitely corners flatter and dives much less under hard braking. I love the damping compared to stock, especially the rebound damping. The car feels great and even seems to work the tires better. I took several hard sweepers on the way home and was able to hit them faster than before with less tire squeal (OEM rubber).

I'd equate the A-Spec to the Hondata reflash in that it's more subtle than slap-in-the-face. It's noticeable, in a good way, but you never feel like it's too much. I like it. It's a perfect in between suspension setup. Better than stock, but without the compromises of a full-on coilover setup.

As others have noted, the drop is not dramatic at all. I think we measured something like 1/2-3/4" all the way around. I would expect it to get closer to the advertised 1" as the components settle in.

That's it. I'll post more as I drive more. I'm psyched! CAI and headers next.
Jtso is the man! He installed a majority of my upgrades.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
I want to order a set of the A-Spec suspension myself. Sounds great though =P
Old 02-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by EuRTSX
Yeah as long as you're not expecting a major drop, you should be satisfied. The A-Spec does a nice job of improving handling, with almost no penalty in ride quality. In fact, I can't tell a difference from stock.

Like I said above, though, the Tein Flex is pretty darn liveable, too. Amazing that you can get that kind of drop and still have such a compliant ride. It is a lot stiffer than A-Spec though. There's other coilover rigs that fall in between, like those shown in this link. Click here to find out more.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by JTso
Thanks for the kind words guys.
Damnit...Johnny, you gonna be in the DC area anytime this year? I've been thinking of getting the A-Spec suspension for my 06.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:30 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Damnit...Johnny, you gonna be in the DC area anytime this year? I've been thinking of getting the A-Spec suspension for my 06.
:ibdomtellsyoutogetthewheelstoo:
Old 02-27-2006, 11:51 AM
Have camera, will travel

^^
Old 02-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

don't feel up to doing it yourself?
Old 02-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
:ibdomtellsyoutogetthewheelstoo:
:ibireminddomthatmy06willsmokehis04,wheelsandall:
Old 02-27-2006, 11:54 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by xizor
don't feel up to doing it yourself?
I'm feeling lazy right now, what can I say.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:10 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
:ibdomhurlsfromthinkingofthose06wheels:

There was a A-Spec eqippped TL at the dealer on Friday. Damn those wheels are sexy.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dom
:ibdomhurlsfromthinkingofthose06wheels:

There was a A-Spec eqippped TL at the dealer on Friday. Damn those wheels are sexy.
Just for you,

Old 02-27-2006, 01:33 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Just for you,

Old 02-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
^^ they look better in person, trust me i hated all the pics on the acura website but once i saw them on kev's car...total change of heart...they look good IMO.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:21 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm feeling lazy right now, what can I say.
meh, it's just the cold weather...once we get into the 70's you'll change your mind...
Old 02-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jmathew34
^^ they look better in person, trust me i hated all the pics on the acura website but once i saw them on kev's car...total change of heart...they look good IMO.

check's in the mail
Old 02-27-2006, 02:24 PM
Team Owner

meh, it's just the cold weather...once we get into the 70's you'll change your mind...
Yeah, seriously. It's fucking cold outside! I can't wait for it to warm up enough for me to actually forgo jackets.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:38 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts

Total opposite for me. They started growing on me in pics but after staring at them for a couple of hours at the dealer I thought they looked hidieous. They just don't suit the car at all.

And CG I thought you were getting TL wheels?
Old 02-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dom
Total opposite for me. They started growing on me in pics but after staring at them for a couple of hours at the dealer I thought they looked hidieous. They just don't suit the car at all.

And CG I thought you were getting TL wheels?
Still waiting for the weather to warm up sufficiently before they go on. It looks like there's still a possibility for some bad weather in the next couple weeks, but yeah, once the weather clears, the car is getting detailed and the TL wheels are going on.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:45 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Still waiting for the weather to warm up sufficiently before they go on. It looks like there's still a possibility for some bad weather in the next couple weeks, but yeah, once the weather clears, the car is getting detailed and the TL wheels are going on.
Next couple weeks... I heard it snowed up there today! No accumulation but I heard it was coming down pretty hard for a little bit.

Although... do you still work in Rosslyn and you just moved up to Silver Spring?
Old 02-27-2006, 04:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
?? I saw no snow in Rockville or Reston today. We need a DC area TSX thread.

And clean your damn car CG, shit was dirty.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:38 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Originally Posted by Reach

My girlfriend was driving up to Columbia today from Arlington and she said it was snowing pretty hard. Although that was at like 10:30... girl goes to work so late!

Old 02-27-2006, 09:36 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TSX.Fury
Next couple weeks... I heard it snowed up there today! No accumulation but I heard it was coming down pretty hard for a little bit.

Although... do you still work in Rosslyn and you just moved up to Silver Spring?
Pretty sure I didn't see any snow here. Might have been further north.

And no, I don't work in Rosslyn anymore. I get to work from a home office now. I love my commute.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:38 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Reach

I did, but it's dirty again. My damn apartment complex doesn't allow car washing or repairs on the premise so I have to take care of it when I go out. I'm looking forward to moving somewhere that has a car wash bay and garage.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Have camera, will travel

All right you hijackers, let's get this thing back on point A couple of questions about the A-Spec suspension for those in the know:

1. Acura designs and sells the A-Spec specifically for the TSX, yet installing it often throws rear wheel camber out of spec, with no way to adjust it short of installing a RCK. Does anyone have any comments on this, and has anyone experienced problems because of it? Seems a little odd to me, and the camber is definitely more noticeable since the install.

2. I have an alignment scheduled for Saturday. Is there any preferred amount of mileage that should be logged on the new suspension before an alignment is done?

3. Can I expect the suspension to settle in to the point that the gap is lessened even more, or is what I have now all I'll get?

So far so good with the new mod. Highly recommended for those considering it, as long as a big drop is not what you're after. I'll post my alignment numbers when I get them.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Have camera, will travel

^^No opinions on this?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Instructor

I wished lived near jtso
Old 03-01-2006, 08:16 PM
A-spec Arctic Blue

All right you hijackers, let's get this thing back on point A couple of questions about the A-Spec suspension for those in the know:

1. Acura designs and sells the A-Spec specifically for the TSX, yet installing it often throws rear wheel camber out of spec, with no way to adjust it short of installing a RCK. Does anyone have any comments on this, and has anyone experienced problems because of it? Seems a little odd to me, and the camber is definitely more noticeable since the install.

2. I have an alignment scheduled for Saturday. Is there any preferred amount of mileage that should be logged on the new suspension before an alignment is done?

3. Can I expect the suspension to settle in to the point that the gap is lessened even more, or is what I have now all I'll get?

So far so good with the new mod. Highly recommended for those considering it, as long as a big drop is not what you're after. I'll post my alignment numbers when I get them.
1 - I had mine done at Acura of Bellevue and they were able to adjust my camber to normal specs w/o having to use a rear camber kit

2 - Not really but probably no more than 100 miles if your rear camber is out since you will wear your tires faster. When I had mine installed, they did the alignment the next day after I drove home and back.

3 - What you see is probably what you will get. It should be about an 1 inch all the way around.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:34 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sigmachi96
1 - I had mine done at Acura of Bellevue and they were able to adjust my camber to normal specs w/o having to use a rear camber kit

2 - Not really but probably no more than 100 miles if your rear camber is out since you will wear your tires faster. When I had mine installed, they did the alignment the next day after I drove home and back.

3 - What you see is probably what you will get. It should be about an 1 inch all the way around.
Good to know.

How much did your dealership charge you to install the kit?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:38 PM
Burning Brakes

i am just thinking ....look like there's no drop.....
but it's expected...only 1 inch
Old 03-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by sigmachi96

Thanks, sigmachi96. Acura of Lynnwood is charging me $70 for the four wheel alignment. Two other Acura dealers (Hinshaws and Acura of Seattle) wanted more, so I'm driving to Lynnwood. Didn't call Bellevue. Figured they'd be the most

Good to know about the rear camber adjustment. I thought I'd read that here before.

Are you making it to the meet so we can all see the sweet SC setup?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:44 PM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Good to know.

How much did your dealership charge you to install the kit?
I can't remember the exact number but it was around $250 - 300 including the alignment. This was before I knew Jtso was around to do aftermarket installs.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:45 PM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Originally Posted by kyotousa
Past picture of my A-spec drop...

17x7 wheels with 225x45x17 tires
Old 03-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by kyotousa
Yeah, the drop is modest, but handling and brake dive is definitely improved. The price is right, too.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:47 PM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Thanks, sigmachi96. Acura of Lynnwood is charging me $70 for the four wheel alignment. Two other Acura dealers (Hinshaws and Acura of Seattle) wanted more, so I'm driving to Lynnwood. Didn't call Bellevue. Figured they'd be the most

Good to know about the rear camber adjustment. I thought I'd read that here before.

Are you making it to the meet so we can all see the sweet SC setup?
Unfortunately I don't think I can make it this Sunday. I am travelling for business, as I usually do, and have to leave Sunday for a business trip. I plan on getting a dyno with Jtso tagging along once my schedule is freed up. I can have him take the applicable videos and post the dyno online for all to see.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:21 PM
Have camera, will travel

^^Cool. Maybe we'll get to see it at a future meet. Summer's right around the corner (thank God). Looking forward to those dynos.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:31 PM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

Originally Posted by sho-one
I wished lived near jtso

You are not the only one!
Old 03-05-2006, 12:09 PM
Have camera, will travel

Had the alignment done on my car yesterday, by Acura of Lynnwood. Of course the biggest concern is with the rear camber specs. Mine ended up being -1.8 on both sides after I got the spec sheet.

My question is this: I've read that the rear camber spec is -1.5 degrees. I've also seen it listed as -1.7 and -1.8. The spec sheet lists the specified range as -1.9 degrees to -0.1 degrees, which leaves my car in spec, albeit barely. The only adjustments that were needed was to the toe on the front right and on both rear wheels.

So who's right? You'd think an Acura dealership would know the specs on cars it sells and repairs.

Loving the new suspension, BTW. Very nice.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EuRTSX
I have a set for sale in the "private sales" section.

Quick Reply: New A-Spec suspension