Need some help in choosing suspensions..

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 03:29 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help in choosing suspensions..

I need some help in choosing between the following suspensions. Any help/hints are greatly appreciated. If you know of any other better suspension, please chip-in...

I'm deciding between the following, but not sure and need info from you to make the decision:

1. Tein Type SS Coilover
2. Tein Type Flex Coilover
3. Tein CST
4. Tein Basics

Thanks!!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:00 AM
Helladump/flush

Tein is the brand to go with

I have heard that the Basics and SS's are siimilar in ride comfort, and are both stiffer than stock. You can also get a really nice drop with both.

I have the CST's, and they are amazing. When they are set all the way to soft, its softer than stock. and All stiff kind of feels like A-Spec suspension. You can also get a really nice drop out of these.

The Tein Flex's are mainly for tracking purposes, or if you really want to ride stiff. If you did get these, you can drop it super low.

If you are going for a drop and stiffer ride, go with the Basics or SS's.

Going for ride comfort, CST's all the way.

If you want to track your car every once in a while, the Flex's are for you.

I love my CST's and the comfort they bring to me. CST's FTW!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 11:41 AM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3!!!!

I've had the SS and the CST on my car.
the CST is far superior.
plus you can run EDFC with it.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
grenas17 gave you some good info.

But what is your goal? What are you looking for in a suspension?
Old 09-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by deznium
I need some help in choosing between the following suspensions. Any help/hints are greatly appreciated. If you know of any other better suspension, please chip-in...

I'm deciding between the following, but not sure and need info from you to make the decision:

1. Tein Type SS Coilover
2. Tein Type Flex Coilover
3. Tein CST
4. Tein Basics

Thanks!!
Well, I got a comparo link here:
http://heeltoeauto.com/httech/YaBB.pl?num=1208922188

And I give a little breakdown of my Tein opinions here:
http://heeltoeauto.com/httech/YaBB.pl?num=1172765411

Originally Posted by mrheeltoe
I am making this article in response to an overwhelming number of times I have to answer this question. I am going attempt to make this posting grow to reflect more suspension items in Tein's lineup. Right now, it should give you a little insight into which direction you should go!

Basics - For the customer who wants to lower the car, improve handling, and retain a relatively nice ride. Most times the ride is comparable to stock. Over certain roads a difference can be felt. This suspension makes the car feel more attached to the road.

SS - Same thing as Basics with the ability to adjust stiffness. There are 4 reasons to get the SS over the basic. 1- You have extra money to spend. 2- You are really concerned about ride, so you want to soften it up making it closer to stock. 3- You are really interested in performance, you want to be able to dial in the shocks where you feel they handle the best. 4- You want your gadgets to have more tweakability.

FLEX - FLEX are for the person who wants maximum handling with a ride that is still acceptable on the street. These have a higher spring rate than the Basic/SS. These shocks and springs are designed for a higher performance level. This also means they will ride firmer than the others. Upper pillow mounts are included, which increase responsiveness and linear feel of suspension, but also make the ride feel harsher (similar to effect of installing low profile tires). The Flex also have a unique lower bracket that facilitates changing of the damper length. This gives more height options and allows for spring preload. If maximum lowering (3"+) is your goal, the FLEX will work. These adjustments also allow for greater track tuning.

EDFC - Simply allows you to adjust the firmness of the damper from inside the car. Not always compatible with all cars and all adjustable dampers. On the TSX it works with the FLEX and not SS due to clearance issues on the car.

Another comment on SS and Basics compared to stock:
The ride on either kit is very close to stock. Because of tuned rebound rates, the handling is much improved. This combined with higher compression rates and matched coil springs, more road irregularities can be felt. This means that while the softness of the ride is scarcely different than stock, the actual road bumps and cracks can be felt a little more. Over larger bumps, the suspension will not travel as much, creating a bump in the ride, but the car returns to neutral state quickly. This provides a feeling of stability over stock suspension.

So, will you feel a difference? Yes. Will it feel firmer than stock? Yes. Will the ride quality be the same as stock? Yes.

For a more stock feeling ride, the SS allows you to tune the dampers softer giving more cushiness.
I don't have the CST there, but grenas17 gave some great feedback and he should know

Marcus
Old 09-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Thanks everyone for helping me out...
I'm mostly going to get the Tein CST. I'm mainly looking for a decent drop in the car and would like to make my ride more comfortable overall...
I have some concerns though, i.e. I was wondering if using Tein CST is gonna soften the ride too much? I like cornering a lot and like to keep my car flat while doing so, in that case will there be more body roll with the CST as compared to the stock suspension since it gives more comfortable/softer ride? I hope it doesn't feel like it does in the Honda Accord when with the Tein CSTs.
Just curious....
Old 09-10-2008, 09:48 PM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you will have control over your damper settings.

16 settings on each corner going from firm to soft.

set them all the way to firm if you want, or at like #4.

or better yet, get EDFC with them and make them as stiff or
as soft as you want, whenever you want, with the push of a button.

I know what you're saying, and I have none of the issues
you elude to possibly having.

A boat is the furthest thing from what my car feels like, lol.

I think you will be very happy with the CST, all of us that have it are.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Helladump/flush

Ya, like MMs said, those of us who have the CST's love them.

Im am going to admit that they cause the car to have a very minimal amount of body roll when set to full soft. But if were to get some bracing, it would stiffen it up, and make it feel nice and rigid.

Bracing and the the CST's is a match made in heaven

BTW, the CST's give you a really nice drop. I am dropped almost all the way in the back (pretty much all the way) and about 3/4 of the way on the front. For me its nice and low, but I sometimes have an itch to go a little lower Who knows, I may drop them all the way down, or get airrunner. Only time will tell. but if you want pictures of the drop you get out of them, just look at pictures of my car, MMsTSX, Rex., and I think Lito has them if I am not mistaken.

hope I have helped out man
Old 09-12-2008, 07:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Have you considered Koni yellows + ground control coils? they run for about 900 bucks. The shocks have dampening, you can choose the springs rates you want and they both have lifetime warranty. You cant go wrong with this combo, it is a hugely favored combo for acura/honda enthusiast. Both are top notch in quality, cant go wrong for the price.

Im actually surprised by tein's quality, there are 2 threads made recently about teins blowing with only 20k miles. Im sure they were unlucky.

i know i sound bias because i have these on my integra and they ride so well.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by deznium
Thanks everyone for helping me out...
I'm mostly going to get the Tein CST. I'm mainly looking for a decent drop in the car and would like to make my ride more comfortable overall...
I have some concerns though, i.e. I was wondering if using Tein CST is gonna soften the ride too much? I like cornering a lot and like to keep my car flat while doing so, in that case will there be more body roll with the CST as compared to the stock suspension since it gives more comfortable/softer ride? I hope it doesn't feel like it does in the Honda Accord when with the Tein CSTs.
Just curious....
The CST will still outperform your stock suspension. It's a cross between sporty handling and luxury. It's like driving in an Infiniti G37 or BMW 335i where the car handles well but simultaneously is comfortable when necessary.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:25 PM
Instructor

Thanks grenas17, MMs and everyone else, you guys have helped me out a lot.. I've decided to buy the CSTs.. Just looking online, so far I've found only one good deal:

http://www.optionimports.com/tecstcokitac1.html

I'm also assuming that CST's fit-in all the Acura TSXs from 2004-2008.
Just wondering if I have to order any other part apart from what is mentioned on this website? Do you guys know of any other seller where I can get a deal?

Also, just wondering by how much many inches you all dropped your car with CSTs (front/back both)?

Thanks again...