Need help with all-season tire replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Need help with all-season tire replacement

I have about 56K miles on my 2004 TSX, and the tires need to be replaced soon. I live in Cleveland, OH, so I am looking for some all-season replacement tires that are good for snowy conditions, without sacrificing too much on the ride comfort and performance overall.

I did a search on this forum and found that some of you like the Yokohama V4. Apart from that, do you have any other suggestion please? I don't have any real problem with the OEM Michelins but I do not feel that they justify the very high price (just under $200 each at Tire Rack!). My friends recommended Goodyear Assurance TripleTred, and Goodyear Eagle Response (?).

What is your recommendation please?
Old 09-07-2008, 04:30 PM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyo Proxes 4
BF Goodrich KDW T/A G-Force

?

I'm getting summer tires, so I'm not that well versed.

Bridgestone Pole Position? or is it Potenza? yeah, that's it, lol.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Drifting

Thank you, MMsTSX! Indeed, the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position has great reviews on Tire Rack. They are $162 a piece at Tire Rack. Is that a good price for it?
Old 09-07-2008, 05:17 PM
JDM Addict

not sure about the price, but I'm pretty sure that's the
tire that tons of people have and love to death.

that site has good prices usually, so I'd go for it personally.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:29 PM
built for speed

I put the Bridgeston's on my TSX a year ago as a replacement for the original Michelin's. I also live in a moderately snowy area (Boston). I think the bridgestone is a better performing tire overall. It shines in turn-in, hard cornering, etc. The difference between the Michelin is less noticeable in snow however, both tires are just passable, in my opinion. If you really want good handling in snow, you'll have to give-up dry road performance. Making a decision based
Old 09-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I see you mentioned the Yokohama AVID V4S. If you're looking to run these tires in Cleveland in the winter, I'd wholeheartedly suggest against the Yokos. I'm in Columbus, we get nowhere near the snow that you get up on the lake, and they're frighteningly bad in snow. I can't justify replacing them because I probably drive like 50-100 miles a year on uncleared roads but if I had to do any significant or regular snow driving as I expect you do, they'd be completely unacceptable.

It's frustrating, looking at the tirerack reviews, because everyone's ratings are based so much on their own expectations. One guy gives it an 8 maybe because he's comparing it to summer tires, while another guy gives it a 2 because he's comparing it to winter tires, so even with all that info, it can be relatively meaningless. I think they're significantly worse than the stock tires in snow and I couldn't imagine trying to get through a Cleveland winter with them. On dry they're pretty good though.

Good luck though and let us know how whatever you end up with does in the snow.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scheißterhöffer
I see you mentioned the Yokohama AVID V4S.
Setting aside their snow performance, how do your AVIDs compare to the OEMs? (I'm assuming from your comment you have the AVIDs.) Thanks!
Old 09-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by tsxfool
Setting aside their snow performance, how do your AVIDs compare to the OEMs? (I'm assuming from your comment you have the AVIDs.) Thanks!
Yeah, I've had them for about 12K miles. Outside of snow, I'd say they're much better than the OEM tires, even if they were the same price, but given that you can get them for like $110/tire or less, it's even better. They can be slippy in hard braking on wet roads but in a pretty predictable way, and I think most of that is hard braking on a wet road does that. They've showed little to no wear so far. I got alot of chirping from the stock tires just under normal launching that I don't get with these. If you're not driving them in snow, I'd definitely take these over the OEMs.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:49 PM
Drifting

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments!

Now, my friends also recommended the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred tires. He has them too and thinks that they are great for all-season use and pretty good during winter too. What do you think about these?
Old 09-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Racer

I have the V4Ses. They seem to be even louder than the OEMs (how is this even possible?) and they flat spot overnight, so I get vibration during the first several miles of my commute every morning. No traction issues yet (10k miles), but they don't squeal as much as the OEMs did. I will probably buy a different tire next time.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jswim99
I have the V4Ses. They seem to be even louder than the OEMs (how is this even possible?) and they flat spot overnight, so I get vibration during the first several miles of my commute every morning. No traction issues yet (10k miles), but they don't squeal as much as the OEMs did. I will probably buy a different tire next time.
Interesting. I've seen many posts on here saying the V4S's are much quieter than the stock Michelins. Different weight?
Old 09-23-2008, 03:15 PM
9th Gear

One tire I'm thinking of for our TSX is the Michelin Primacy MXV4. I just put a set on my Subaru and love the ride and steering responsiveness. Haven't had a chance to try them in wet or snow but will give an update when I do. I got them at Discount Tire on a price match for Sam's club who had a Michelin rebate going.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:22 PM
I'm back, biatch.

Pardon my cheapness, but anyone have any experience with these tires:
Fuzion VRi
General Exclaim UHP
Kumho Ecsta SPT
Fuzion ZRi
Yokohama S.drive
Firestone Firehawk GT
I live in California, so snow driving is not an issue for me.