Megan EZ Streets Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:59 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Megan EZ Streets Coilovers

After about two weeks of researching posts, sending pm's to other members, and calling various companies, I finally made up my mind on how to lower my ride. I decided to try the Megan Ez Street coilovers. Originally I just wanted to lower the car about 1.5 inches to just get rid of some of the finder gap and thought that the H-techs were the way to go. But other members here steered me away from mismatched springs and shocks and recommended trying coilovers. So far, I'm gald that I listened to them! I installed them over the weekend and wanted to share my opinions.
This is the first and only set of coilovers I've ever tried, so I can only compare the Megan's to the stock ride. Also, I've only driven about 25 miles on them so far and have only tried a few different settings and heights. I will update this thread again in a few weeks or whenever I have something new to share.
The install went very smoothly and I didn't have any issues with the rear end links like a few others on here have had. But having a set of open-faced ratchet style wrenches was a huge help in saving some time. The Megan's seem well made and came with all the needed hardware. I've read on here somewhere before that they didn't come with the necessary mounting brackets for the brake lines but mine did. I did have to grind down a 1/4 inch off the bottom of the rear coilovers to get them to fit, but I was aware of this before buying them and turned out very easy to do. I used my dremmel and was done grinding in about 5 minutes.
The EZ Streets have 15 different damping settings. This was one of the main reasons I decided to go with them. For $640 shipped, I couldn't find another set of coilovers that offered damping adjustment. My first ride around the block with them installed was on the middle setting, 8 (1 - softest, 15 - hardest) on the front and rear. As I expected, the ride was noticeably stiffer than stock. The front felt great but I could really feel the bumps in the rear. I was already looking forward to my first spirited drive through some winding roads! Next, I put the rears on 5 to soften it up a little, and could tell the difference right away between setting 8 and 5. After that, just to experiment with them, I put the rear on the softest setting and the ride was very close to stock comfort. I haven't tried it yet, but pretty sure if I put the fronts on the softest setting too, the ride would be very close to stock and I wouldn't be surprised if it was even softer. I'll try that next and also experiment a little with trying the front and the rear on some of the stiffer settings. This was done with the front lowered to a .5 inch fender gap in the front and 1 inch fender gap in the rear. Overall I'm very impressed with how much difference in handling and comfort only a few clicks of damping adjustment made. I can see myself really enjoying playing around with the settings.
As far as the ride height, I still have about 1-1.5 more inches of threads left to lower it further if I wanted. And, even though I haven't tried it, I believe its safe to say that I could get it very close to stock ride height again.
There's not a lot of reviews of the Megans here, so hopefully this helps some people in their decisions. I'm really pleased with my purchase and tried to make this post as accurate and unbiased as I could.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:04 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
...could you make it bigger? I'm using a 32" screen and I can barely read that font!
Old 11-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Instigat0r
After about two weeks of researching posts, sending pm's to other members, and calling various companies, I finally made up my mind on how to lower my ride. I decided to try the Megan Ez Street coilovers. Originally I just wanted to lower the car about 1.5 inches to just get rid of some of the finder gap and thought that the H-techs were the way to go. But other members here steered me away from mismatched springs and shocks and recommended trying coilovers.

So far, I'm gald that I listened to them! I installed them over the weekend and wanted to share my opinions. This is the first and only set of coilovers I've ever tried, so I can only compare the Megan's to the stock ride. Also, I've only driven about 25 miles on them so far and have only tried a few different settings and heights. I will update this thread again in a few weeks or whenever I have something new to share.

The install went very smoothly and I didn't have any issues with the rear end links like a few others on here have had. But having a set of open-faced ratchet style wrenches was a huge help in saving some time. The Megan's seem well made and came with all the needed hardware. I've read on here somewhere before that they didn't come with the necessary mounting brackets for the brake lines but mine did. I did have to grind down a 1/4 inch off the bottom of the rear coilovers to get them to fit, but I was aware of this before buying them and turned out very easy to do. I used my dremmel and was done grinding in about 5 minutes.

The EZ Streets have 15 different damping settings. This was one of the main reasons I decided to go with them. For $640 shipped, I couldn't find another set of coilovers that offered damping adjustment. My first ride around the block with them installed was on the middle setting, 8 (1 - softest, 15 - hardest) on the front and rear.

As I expected, the ride was noticeably stiffer than stock. The front felt great but I could really feel the bumps in the rear. I was already looking forward to my first spirited drive through some winding roads! Next, I put the rears on 5 to soften it up a little, and could tell the difference right away between setting 8 and 5. After that, just to experiment with them, I put the rear on the softest setting and the ride was very close to stock comfort. I haven't tried it yet, but pretty sure if I put the fronts on the softest setting too, the ride would be very close to stock and I wouldn't be surprised if it was even softer. I'll try that next and also experiment a little with trying the front and the rear on some of the stiffer settings. This was done with the front lowered to a .5 inch fender gap in the front and 1 inch fender gap in the rear. Overall I'm very impressed with how much difference in handling and comfort only a few clicks of damping adjustment made. I can see myself really enjoying playing around with the settings.

As far as the ride height, I still have about 1-1.5 more inches of threads left to lower it further if I wanted. And, even though I haven't tried it, I believe its safe to say that I could get it very close to stock ride height again.
There's not a lot of reviews of the Megans here, so hopefully this helps some people in their decisions. I'm really pleased with my purchase and tried to make this post as accurate and unbiased as I could.
fixed
The following users liked this post:
6spdtl04am (03-26-2014)
Old 12-30-2011, 12:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Glad you like the coilover. I'm thinking to get one for my RL, but I need to wait for your update lol.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:29 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you or are you going to get camber kits or are coilovers made in a way that camber kits are not necessary to get? Trying to learn as much as I can before dumping money on lowering the TSXy.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Needs update now lol...