Loud Rear End noise...maybe tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008 | 10:28 AM
Instructor

Loud Rear End noise...maybe tires

So i started getting very loud what sounded like "road noise" about a week ago. My buddy thought it might be my bearings. I took it into acura yesturday , and they called me back saying it is just my Tires. They told me because of the hard compound in the tire , and because they are about 1 yr old that they would start making new noise . Has anyone else had this problem?The type of tires is Falken 512's. Its very loud to the point i don't wanna drive. I am going to put my stock rims and tires on to see if the noise goes away. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with Falkens or any tires in general.

On another note they gave me a brand new TL and it is a sweet car, that engine is great. A little more "cushy" . Put that 3.2 in the TSX and that would be a great match.
Old 07-29-2008 | 11:50 AM
Team Owner

Did the noise appear all of a sudden? I don't think its the tires if it did. Usually the sound of the tires changes over time as the tires wear and age, and not from one day to the next. Did they check the bearings or just blame the tires? The bearings would be my first thought as well.
Old 07-29-2008 | 12:42 PM
Instructor

They said they looked at the bearings and looked normal. They drove it and they said the sound didn't change when going over bumps or turning which they say indicates its tire sound. But they still want me to swap tires to the OEM ones so they can just make sure.
They tires were always a little more noisey then stock. But i really noticed the sound after driving to my Wedding last week , which was about a 600 km drive.
Old 07-29-2008 | 03:55 PM
Acura Owner Advocate

the best thing to do is swap with known good rims and tires that do not make noise and
see if the noise goes away. we have a set of test rims and tires here just for that test.
Old 07-29-2008 | 05:50 PM
SSM FTW

my car had very loud road noise. its only loud at a certain speed ~30-45mph. first thing i thought were bearings also. i already had a new set of rims and tires so i threw them on the the noise went away. so the first thing ill do is put on the extra set of rims you have and see if it goes away.
Old 07-29-2008 | 08:46 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Yes - swap the tires and then you'll know. I've personally never heard of a tire degrading in the span of a week like that. Unless there's some kind of defect in the tire causing it, but I have no idea what that could be.
Old 08-10-2008 | 09:54 PM
Whats the speed limit ?

I had a set of 235/35/19 Kumoh tires that started to make a realy loud noise, it got to the point that jumping on the highway sucked real bad because of how loud these damn tires were.for a while I was not to sure what the hell was making that noise (Tires,Bearings, ect) finally I went and bought some new Falken 452 tires and the noise went away for good
the guy at the tire shop told me more than likely the kumoh tires probably had a factory defect that was causing the freaking insane noise it was making...Problem Solved.