Ingalls 38725 and A-Spec Suspension Installed - Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 11:45 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ingalls 38725 and A-Spec Suspension Installed - Impressions

Ok, I love the A-spec suspension kit. The handling is great yet still maintains a luxurious and smooth feel. The drop is barely noticeable, especially up front.

OEM Suspenions:
Front: 5 finger gap
Rear: 4 finger gap

A-Spec Suspension:
Front: 4 finger gap
Rear: 3 finger gap

However, I'm concerned about my Ingalls rear camber/toe kit. After I got my alignment immediately after install of a-spec suspension, the Firestone tech got my passenger rear camber to -1.2 (within spec). But my driver rear would only adjust to -1.8 (0.3 out of spec ). I'm disappointed. I was watching the Firestone tech adjust the driver-side camber rod...there was nothing left to adjust (i.e. no more thread left to twist the rod to decrease its length, which makes camber more positive) because he maxed out the adjustment yet only ended up at -1.8.

I was looking at the Ingalls installation.
http://www.ingallseng.com/Instructions/38725.pdf

I noticed that although on physical inspection, both rods and end links look almost identical. But actually the rods are of two different lengths and the end links have different sized ends. At first, me and the Firestone tech thought that the installer of my camber and toe rods got them reversed. But we measured the rods on the passenger side (good side) multiple times and they appear to be ok.

Passenger side toe rod: 1" of thread remaing to adjust
Passenger side camber rod: 1/8" thread remaining to adjust

Driver side toe rod: 1" of thread remaing to adjust
Driver side camber rod: 0" thread remaing to adjust

I suppose a -1.8 camber is not too bad. But it just erks me that I spent a lot of money on the camber kit and it's not doing its job as advertised (-1.5 to 3 deg adjustment).

Note: The toe adjustments for both sides were adjusted to spec with plenty of wiggle room.

Setup:
2005 TSX Auto
A-Spec Suspension
Ingalls 38725 rear toe and camber kit
17" OEM wheels/tires

I'll post pics of the drop tomorrow.

Anybody else have the A-Spec Suspension and Ingalls 38725 kit and not able to get the camber back within spec?
Old 04-28-2006, 11:54 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got that exact set-up, and I'm able to fully adjust from 0 to -4 degrees if i wanted to. You definately have something installed wrong in there... Take it back to the installer and have him redo it. There's also the possibility that ingalls mailed you an incorrect piece... Thats what happened to me but luckily i caught it before i did the install.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
It sounds like someone didn't thread on the rod ends correctly. The rod ends should be threaded onto the center piece in equal length.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:15 AM
Racer

shaang: I think I have the correct piece. My box says 38725 for 2003-2004 Honda Accord Rear Camber Kit. UPC: 8-0330438725-5. The Accord, TSX, TL, and RL all use the same part number (38725).

0 to -4 degrees of adjustment huh? But I want to be able to adjust more positive (since my camber is too negative).

JTso: Oh, the end links need to be threaded equally into the cylinder rod? Well that makes sense when you first install. But after on the alignmnet mahcine, when you twist the rod to the far extreme end (as in closer toward center of car), the left endlink will be exposing alot of thread while the right endlink will be exposing no thread. Is this right? Man, I knew I should have pre-assembled and played with the rods before I gave it to the installer to see how they work.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:17 AM
Racer

Yes, before any adjustments to the rod, the endlinks seemed to be equally threaded into the rod. But after adjustments, one side's thread exposure should be greater then the other, right? I mean this is how the rod is able to "change lengths." Afterall, if the thread exposure were equivalent on both sides after adjustment, then nothing is accomplished in changing the overall length of the rod.

When I said there is 0" of thread remaining to adjust, I meant that after the Firestone tech twisted (i.e. adjusted) the rod to correct the camber, he could only get to -1.8. It was originally -3.2! Thus, he was able to give me about +1.4 deg of correction, netting me to -1.8. This is as much adjustment as the threads will allow.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:24 AM
Racer

shaang or JTso: Ok answser this please. You know how when you compare the lengths of the shafts of the rod only, one rod slighter longer than the other rod? I know for sure that the rod that is closer to the rear of the car is the toe rod. I know for sure that the rod that is closer to the front of the car is the camber rod.

So, is the toe rod the one that is suppose to get the longer shaft?
or
is the toe rod the one that is suppose to get the shorter shaft?
Old 04-29-2006, 12:24 AM
Instructor

When i got mine, the boxes were labeled '38725' but one of the actual theaded ends was an incorrect one and would not fit into the center link. After reading JTSO's post it sounds like thats the problem.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by shaang
When i got mine, the boxes were labeled '38725' but one of the actual theaded ends was an incorrect one and would not fit into the center link. After reading JTSO's post it sounds like thats the problem.

Hmmm...the installer did not say anything about the endlink not fitting onto the rod correctly. And even the Firestone tech didn't seem to have any problems twisting the rod with his bare hands. Thus, I don't think there was any fitment issues.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:32 AM
Racer

Another Quesion: which diagram is correct?

Diagram 1
Driver Rear : Passenger Rear
silver jam nut ------ black jam nut : black jam nut-----silver jam nut

or

Diagram 2
black jam nut-----silver jam nut : silver jam nut-----black jam nut

or

Diagram 3
black jam nut-----silver jam nut : black jam nut-----silver jam nut

or

Diagram 4
silver jam nut-----black jam nut : silver jam nut-----black jam nut
Old 04-29-2006, 12:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
There are two rod ends per link. One side is normal thread and the other side is reverse thread. That's the reason for a black nut and silver nut for identification. If they are installed correctly, both ends will move in/out in equal amount. Just follow the instructions that came with the kit.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:53 AM
Instructor

Can't seem to find my instructions, but i remember when i installed them, I had the exact same question... I found the answer by reading the instuctions VERY CAREFULLY!
Old 04-29-2006, 01:01 AM
Racer

Well the instructions are right here.

http://www.ingallseng.com/Instructions/38725.pdf

But the instructions are unclear as to answering my diagram question. So guys, which diagram from the above post is correct?
Old 04-29-2006, 01:53 AM
Racer

Correct Labeling?

Ok, I read the instructions very carefully and read other forum here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=ingalls+38725

I have added my hand written-notes to the camber/toe parts. Can somebody please verify that my hand-written lables are correct?

I now suspect that the installer accidently got the short and long rod reversed. The shorter rod (camber rod) should be closer to the front of the car. The longer rod (toe rod) should be closer to the rear of the car.