Dropzone Coilovers Conversion Kit with Springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dropzone Coilovers Conversion Kit with Springs

Can anyone explain how these kits work? It states it can be used with the stock shocks/struts. Is there any modification required to fit on stock oem parts?
Has anyone used dropzone for acura tsx 2004-2008? experiences?

Last edited by gixer08; 06-01-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Instructor

I wouldn't suggest using these types of coilovers for your TSX. If you're looking into sleeve-type coilovers, why don't you look into some Ground Control coilovers? The reason I wouldn't recommend these coilovers is because they're an "e-Bay"/AutoZone company and they probably don't do much R&D. You're getting what you pay for...

The Dropzone coilovers you have there, replace the stock springs on your stock strut.

Can you be a little more specific about how they work? See how the bottom of the body are threaded? The higher up you move the rings on the thread, the higher you would be raising your car. As seen in the picture, they're at the lowest setting.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:24 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lilasiian8
I wouldn't suggest using these types of coilovers for your TSX. If you're looking into sleeve-type coilovers, why don't you look into some Ground Control coilovers? The reason I wouldn't recommend these coilovers is because they're an "e-Bay"/AutoZone company and they probably don't do much R&D. You're getting what you pay for...

The Dropzone coilovers you have there, replace the stock springs on your stock strut.

Can you be a little more specific about how they work? See how the bottom of the body are threaded? The higher up you move the rings on the thread, the higher you would be raising your car. As seen in the picture, they're at the lowest setting.

What do you mean by R&D? I looked at Ground Control however I do not see it for my year 2008 TSX only 2004-2006?
Old 06-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Instructor

R&D - Research and development.

I would call Ground Control directly. What's your budget? Are you willing to sacrifice ride comfort to save a couple bucks? Do some research, hit the search button.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Intermediate

R&D - Research and development.

I would call Ground Control directly. What's your budget? Are you willing to sacrifice ride comfort to save a couple bucks? Do some research, hit the search button.

oh ok...I don't want to spend alot nor more than $300 or so, I want a 1.5 drop all the way around. I want a simple set up with a stock like feel...I was originally going just get lowering springs tanabe NF210 1.5 inch drop to maintain similar stock feel with oem shocks/struts my car is only a year old....let me know
Old 06-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gixer08
oh ok...I don't want to spend alot nor more than $300 or so, I want a 1.5 drop all the way around. I want a simple set up with a stock like feel...I was originally going just get lowering springs tanabe NF210 1.5 inch drop to maintain similar stock feel...let me know
In that case, I would STRONGLY suggest springs. I've heard a lot of great things about Tanabe springs. I'm running Tanabe coilovers right now and I love them. Other spring manufacture's you might want to look into: Tein, Comptech, and Progress.

Check: www.heeltoeauto.com
Old 06-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Intermediate

In that case, I would STRONGLY suggest springs. I've heard a lot of great things about Tanabe springs. I'm running Tanabe coilovers right now and I love them. Other spring manufacture's you might want to look into: Tein, Comptech, and Progress.

Check: www.heeltoeauto.com
Ok cool, so you dont recommend the coilover conversion?

Is it ok to just run the Lowering Sport Spring - Normal Feeling SUSTEC - Tanabe NF210 on stock shock/strut?
Old 06-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gixer08
Ok cool, so you dont recommend the coilover conversion?

Is it ok to just run the Lowering Sport Spring - Normal Feeling SUSTEC - Tanabe NF210 on stock shock/strut?
Yeah, I don't recommend the coilover conversion if you're looking to maintain the stock ride quality and know you only want a 1.5" drop.

It is not suggested to use aftermarket springs (like the Tanabe NF210) on stock struts because it supposidely decreases the life of the strut. I've used aftermarket springs on stock struts and I haven't had a problem. I'd say pick up the springs and have a shop install them for about $100, get an alignment ($60-75) and you're good to go!

I hope that wasn't all confusing...
Old 06-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
you're stock shocks won't last too long if you use an aftermarket spring with 1.5" or greater drop. oem shock life varies based on driving style/habits, conditions, abuse, aftermarket componentry, etc. with that said, you can get by with just springs for right now, but the shocks will have to be replaced down the road.

to my knowledge, the tein h-tech and the oem a-spec springs would be your best best without having to replace the shocks. but, then again, they offer less than an inch for drop
Old 06-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by godfather2
you're stock shocks won't last too long if you use an aftermarket spring with 1.5" or greater drop. oem shock life varies based on driving style/habits, conditions, abuse, aftermarket componentry, etc. with that said, you can get by with just springs for right now, but the shocks will have to be replaced down the road.

to my knowledge, the tein h-tech and the oem a-spec springs would be your best best without having to replace the shocks. but, then again, they offer less than an inch for drop
This is according to the website regarding Tanabe NF210:

"Normal Feeling is for those who wish to lower their vehicle, while maintaining the comfort of the stock suspension.
Tanabe NF210 lowers the vehicle an average of 1 1/4~1 1/2in (30~40mm) without sacrificing the stock ride quality.
This is achieved by raising the spring rate no more than 5%

The stifness of this spring is 5% more than OEM. Regardless any shock will have to be replaced, they say usually replaced by 50,000 miles...How can this spring cause premature failure to the stock shocks when its only 5% difference?
Old 06-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
simple, oem shocks were designed for an oem ride height.

the tanabe springs are a good choice and many tsxers are runnin it. just note that your shocks will fail quicker than if riding on oem springs

best of luck,

vinny
Old 06-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I may be the abnormal case, but I've been running Comptech 110-155 springs (from the TL) for at least 70k miles on the OEM shocks. 1" drop, spirited driver, no shock issues at all. There were quite a few folks that went after the TSX specific springs (1.5" drop) when they were released and some had issues blowing shocks. If you want your car lowered, I highly suggest you save your money and do the right thing as mentioned by a few here. One risk of modifying stock components is early failure.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by moda_way
I may be the abnormal case, but I've been running Comptech 110-155 springs (from the TL) for at least 70k miles on the OEM shocks. 1" drop, spirited driver, no shock issues at all. There were quite a few folks that went after the TSX specific springs (1.5" drop) when they were released and some had issues blowing shocks. If you want your car lowered, I highly suggest you save your money and do the right thing as mentioned by a few here. One risk of modifying stock components is early failure.
Tanabe NF210 for tsx were released in 2003?

what is better of the two i am stock on either tein s w/ stock shocks or tanable nf210 w/ stock shocks?