Cooper Lifeliner

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 09:42 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooper Lifeliner

Has anyone mounted Cooper Lifeliners on their TSX? I just got a pair, but can't really decide how they feel quite yet, maybe because I still have stock Michelin's up front?

Also, my steering feels a little light, but I don't know if that would be related to any of this.. let me know what you think...
Old 08-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Whoa, don't mix and match tires... that's a recipe for disaster.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:14 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Whoa, don't mix and match tires... that's a recipe for disaster.

a mistake i almost made
Old 08-27-2006, 11:51 AM
7th Gear

what's so bad about having different tires in the front versus the back? they're all the same size, just a different make and model.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jjqqww
what's so bad about having different tires in the front versus the back? they're all the same size, just a different make and model.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm having a bit of a hard time trying to decide if you're just ignorant of the well known facts about missmatching tires, etc. or you're just being a cheap-ass driving a $30K car complaining about handling problems that are of your own making.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:29 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Still Water
Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm having a bit of a hard time trying to decide if you're just ignorant of the well known facts about missmatching tires, etc. or you're just being a cheap-ass driving a $30K car complaining about handling problems that are of your own making.
umm.. well a little bit of both. I don't have a clue about the facts of mismatching.. and I guess I'm being a little cheap. In the end, I think if I was more educated about the former, I'd be much less of the latter about the whole thing.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:00 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jjqqww
umm.. well a little bit of both. I don't have a clue about the facts of mismatching.. and I guess I'm being a little cheap. In the end, I think if I was more educated about the former, I'd be much less of the latter about the whole thing.

Congrats!!! You get a pass with me. Now go out and buy 2 of the Cooper tires for your front end and after a few thousand miles you can write a review for us on your observations and conclusions. You'll find after running a search that the F&R air pressure numbers vary but in general they'll be about 2lbs. more to the front v. the rear. I'm still running the OEM's and have them at 36/34.

BTW - For safety reasons alone, NEVER mix & match tires given the option of changing all four's. So many reasons and so little time. Safety First!
Old 08-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Different tires grip differently. You don't want to be in a condition where your fronts lock up and your rears still grip, or vice versa. ABS will kick in but at the cost of reduced braking distance. It will also give you more unpredictable handling in corners.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:46 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Different tires grip differently. You don't want to be in a condition where your fronts lock up and your rears still grip, or vice versa. ABS will kick in but at the cost of reduced braking distance. It will also give you more unpredictable handling in corners.

... plus a couple dozen+ more good reasons not to do that. Just take our advice to heart and go back and buy yourself 2 more tires. In this case you do not want to learn by your own example.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:08 AM
Instructor

I'm getting a set of these to replace the OEM's. One of the OEM Michelin tires in the back blew out this morning on my way to work. There was a big hole in the sidewall. It had been leaking air for a few weeks before that. I decided to go with the Cooper's over the Michelins for the replacement, since they were close to half the price, and I didn't have a lot of confidence in the Michelins anyway. Hopefully they'll turn out to be a good choice. I'm having them installed tomorrow.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:28 PM
7th Gear

hey.. how did you end up liking these tires? i have them also.. but I dunno, I didn't have my car for long enough before I got them to decide if it was better, or worse.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:43 AM
Instructor

Sorry, I didn't see your question earlier. Yesterday I hit a protruding manhole cover on a street that was being repaved, going about 20 mph, and blew out the sidewall on one of those Coopers. The shop told me that exact line has been discontinued, but they are going to replace the two in front with a similar Cooper tire. They didn't want to replace just one, since they are slightly different. They are okay, I guess. I haven't really had any problems with them, except they seem to make a bit more vibration than the OEM Michelins, and they feel a bit softer over bumps.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I went with the Cooper Zeon ZPT's Very nice styling and handling. They seem to wear pretty well also.