Comptech Springs/Neuspeed Koni vs. Tein Coilover Debate

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 05:00 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comptech Springs/Neuspeed Koni vs. Tein Coilover Debate

Can someone compare the ride on Tein SS to the ride on Tein Flex? And if possible, could someone compare either of those setups to riding on the Comptech 110-155 Springs / Neuspeed Koni Shocks combo? Here's my "dilemma"… Based on the COUNTLESS threads I've been reading over the past few months on the various suspension setups people have on this board (and the other boards), I came to the conclusion that the right fit for me was the Comptech-Koni setup. By all accounts, it seems like the best price out there is in the neighborhood of $800 --- which is now coilover territory. These were my priorities in order:

1 - Eliminating wheel gap
2 - Maintaining above average ride quality
3 - Improving handling

In my last car, I was willing to sacrifice more on ride comfort… but since then, my views have changed… I think the TSX handles pretty well in stock form, and after I got the Comptech sway bar in this weekend, I should notice even more of an improvement. Anyway, at $800, am I just better off going the coilver route? Based on Lanny's comments and threads about his Flexes, and briefly talking to Mike (Type X) about his SS's, the ride on the Tein coilovers seems to be surprisingly compliant... and I assume that I could adjust the dampening enough to give me something "relatively" close to what my A-Spec's feel like.

What appeals to me the most about the coilovers is that they're a complete system (i.e., everything works well together because they were designed that way) and offer adjustability. Ultimately, can anyone out there with experience with some of these setups answer these 2 questions for me:

- Will I be "jarred" by switching over to coilovers from my A-Spec's due to the MUCH higher spring rates?
- If the answer is no, then what setup is more suitable for what I'm looking for: SS or Flex?

I won't be taking my car to the track or auto-crossing it, so I assume the SS is the better fit for me? All this crap just keeps getting more complicated to me… all the newer forum members have to stop re-hashing old threads because you guys keep making me re-think everything!!!!
Old 09-02-2005, 06:26 PM
Got Milk???

For the same money, coilovers are always more valuable in terms of adjustability and flexibility. It's like... people here in California buy SUVs, even though they rarely go offroading or anything like it, it's just a sucker for the brain to know that you are "capable" of going offroad if you want. You feel me?

oh by the way, Buddy Club Coilovers all the way!!!

-KC
Old 09-02-2005, 07:21 PM
Hondaholic

Originally Posted by amadeus303
Can someone compare the ride on Tein SS to the ride on Tein Flex? And if possible, could someone compare either of those setups to riding on the Comptech 110-155 Springs / Neuspeed Koni Shocks combo? Here's my "dilemma"… Based on the COUNTLESS threads I've been reading over the past few months on the various suspension setups people have on this board (and the other boards), I came to the conclusion that the right fit for me was the Comptech-Koni setup. By all accounts, it seems like the best price out there is in the neighborhood of $800 --- which is now coilover territory. These were my priorities in order:

1 - Eliminating wheel gap
2 - Maintaining above average ride quality
3 - Improving handling

In my last car, I was willing to sacrifice more on ride comfort… but since then, my views have changed… I think the TSX handles pretty well in stock form, and after I got the Comptech sway bar in this weekend, I should notice even more of an improvement. Anyway, at $800, am I just better off going the coilver route? Based on Lanny's comments and threads about his Flexes, and briefly talking to Mike (Type X) about his SS's, the ride on the Tein coilovers seems to be surprisingly compliant... and I assume that I could adjust the dampening enough to give me something "relatively" close to what my A-Spec's feel like.

What appeals to me the most about the coilovers is that they're a complete system (i.e., everything works well together because they were designed that way) and offer adjustability. Ultimately, can anyone out there with experience with some of these setups answer these 2 questions for me:

- Will I be "jarred" by switching over to coilovers from my A-Spec's due to the MUCH higher spring rates?
- If the answer is no, then what setup is more suitable for what I'm looking for: SS or Flex?

I won't be taking my car to the track or auto-crossing it, so I assume the SS is the better fit for me? All this crap just keeps getting more complicated to me… all the newer forum members have to stop re-hashing old threads because you guys keep making me re-think everything!!!!
Spring rates are lower on SS than on my FLEXes (10k f / 6k r vs 14k f / 8k r); I'm not certain what spring rate they're currently shipping on new FLEXes; the website changes daily .

Even with similar rates, the SS should be slightly more comfortable with the stock top mounts than the FLEX'es solid pillowball mount.

If you're in NJ, you should take a ride up to CT and see what you think in person.....

1. The wheel gap is completely at your discretion. BUT, the FLEX has a slight advantage for those who plan on slamming it. You can literally lower the car without reducing suspension travel or spring preload. This helps maintain good ride quality. It probably amounts to at best an offset to the pillowball mounts.

2. My overall rating for ride quality is "very good for coilovers" or "very good for 14k/10k springs." I would stop short of "above average ride quality". It is FAR from bone jarring, but I have to remind myself that I see some people complain about the stock ride quality. It rides like a sports car, not a luxury car.......

3. Handling-I haven't found the limits of this setup on the street. The ES100s have a lot to do with that as well. And while I'm low, I've never rubbed or scraped (and I have the OEM kit). I do have to be careful on my own driveway though......

Old 09-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Teh seX

Originally Posted by kaikai114
For the same money, coilovers are always more valuable in terms of adjustability and flexibility. It's like... people here in California buy SUVs, even though they rarely go offroading or anything like it, it's just a sucker for the brain to know that you are "capable" of going offroad if you want. You feel me?

oh by the way, Buddy Club Coilovers all the way!!!

-KC
Buddy Club!! I got the BC Coilovers and I love them.. but they may be a bit too much ..passed the 800 price range..
Old 09-02-2005, 10:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
As one who has the 110-155/Neuspeed Koni set up, I'm thinking about going the Tein Flex route b/c IMO the current set up I have is too soft. It's very comfy, but I realized I'm willing to give up some comfort for a more taut, and well controlled ride. Currently, my car doesn't feel wallowy or loose over large bumps and it's quite a good balance for those who like a relatively stock ride quality. But, I miss the very controlled ride my old car w/ coilovers had.

Originally Posted by LannyM
3. Handling-I haven't found the limits of this setup on the street. The ES100s have a lot to do with that as well. And while I'm low, I've never rubbed or scraped (and I have the OEM kit). I do have to be careful on my own driveway though......
Here's another thing - Comptech 110-155 springs are soft. Therefore, I have bottomed out when going full speed over bumps and dips. It doesn't feel harsh when it bottoms out, but this is more due to the fact that the stock TSX bumpstops are very good microcellular type ones. I've definitely rubbed my front airdam (no bodykit) on the road when I've gone over some V-shaped dips at speed or when I'm not careful in slowing down when going up the steeper driveways.

If you're going to get coilovers and are concerned about ride, spend a bit more and get the Tein SS so you can control the damping. Personally, I would take the damping adjustability of the Tein SS over the softer spring rates of the Tanabes.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:16 PM
Racer

This is so funny to me because I'm going through exactly the same debate myself!
My only reason is for the drop-that's it. I had myself convinced as of this morning that all I needed were the BASICS. I just don't think based upon what I've read that I will need to adjust the dampening on them.

I travel a lot on the Interstates here in Indiana which are pretty decent and I won't be autocrossing or doing any crazy driving, etc. Judging by the spring rates of the Teins I don't think I will suffer that bad by switching from A-Spec to the Basics will I?

I know every response will all be based on personal opinions, but I have never done any mods to a car before in my life until this one. I have no idea what to expect at all with coilovers regardless of which one I choose. With the A-Spec Kit I can hardly tell a difference in ride quality so I'm sure with coilovers I will be definitely be able to tell.

Before I drop another $650 to $1300 I want to be sure I don't make another mistake by rushing my decision. I already did that with the A-Spec kit.

Didn't mean to jack your thread, but we seem to be seeking the same type information! Thanks, Chris
Old 09-02-2005, 11:28 PM
Professional Newbie

i just got the koni/comptech and love it so far
Old 09-03-2005, 02:55 AM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Originally Posted by LannyM
1. The wheel gap is completely at your discretion. BUT, the FLEX has a slight advantage for those who plan on slamming it. You can literally lower the car without reducing suspension travel or spring preload. This helps maintain good ride quality. It probably amounts to at best an offset to the pillowball mounts.

2. My overall rating for ride quality is "very good for coilovers" or "very good for 14k/10k springs." I would stop short of "above average ride quality". It is FAR from bone jarring, but I have to remind myself that I see some people complain about the stock ride quality. It rides like a sports car, not a luxury car.......
Lanny - how low do you consider "slammed"? I really like the look of the Sportsline drop that I've seen on some members' rides, which I believe to be ~2 inches, give or take, after settling. I think that would be about as far as I would probably go. So at that drop, would the added benefits of the FLEX warrant the extra $500 over the SS? I don't find the stock ride or the A-Spec ride to be stiff in any way, so I definitely think I have more "play" in going with a set of coilovers as long as there's not a substantial degradation in compliance (i.e., my wife wouldn't notice if I didn't tell her I changed out the suspension ). Ironically, I remember reading your original FLEX thread where you took your wife out in the car (using getting ice cream as the guise I might add ) to test that very same thing out! It's amazing what people notice when they're trying to pay attention to differences.

Also, how easy is it to adjust the height and dampening? All I would have to do is remove the wheels to set each corner, right? I don't have to disassemble anything? I'm just wondering what adjustments, if any, need to be made when the snow season comes. Have you braved a NE winter yet with your Teins, Lanny?

Originally Posted by BlackTSXer
Buddy Club!! I got the BC Coilovers and I love them.. but they may be a bit too much ..passed the 800 price range..
Heh... I wasn't as concerned about the price as much as I was about what was the right fit for me, lol... I was just figuring that if I was going to spend $800 on a Comptech/Neuspeed Koni setup, I might as well consider coilovers since the Tein SS start at around there

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
As one who has the 110-155/Neuspeed Koni set up, I'm thinking about going the Tein Flex route b/c IMO the current set up I have is too soft. It's very comfy, but I realized I'm willing to give up some comfort for a more taut, and well controlled ride. Currently, my car doesn't feel wallowy or loose over large bumps and it's quite a good balance for those who like a relatively stock ride quality. But, I miss the very controlled ride my old car w/ coilovers had.....

If you're going to get coilovers and are concerned about ride, spend a bit more and get the Tein SS so you can control the damping. Personally, I would take the damping adjustability of the Tein SS over the softer spring rates of the Tanabes.
AZ --- your pics are what originally sold me on the Comptech/Neuspeed Koni setup With the damper adjustability, can I pass the "wife test" I described above?

Originally Posted by TSX_Road_Warrior
This is so funny to me because I'm going through exactly the same debate myself!
My only reason is for the drop-that's it. I had myself convinced as of this morning that all I needed were the BASICS. I just don't think based upon what I've read that I will need to adjust the dampening on them.

I travel a lot on the Interstates here in Indiana which are pretty decent and I won't be autocrossing or doing any crazy driving, etc. Judging by the spring rates of the Teins I don't think I will suffer that bad by switching from A-Spec to the Basics will I?

I know every response will all be based on personal opinions, but I have never done any mods to a car before in my life until this one. I have no idea what to expect at all with coilovers regardless of which one I choose. With the A-Spec Kit I can hardly tell a difference in ride quality so I'm sure with coilovers I will be definitely be able to tell.

Before I drop another $650 to $1300 I want to be sure I don't make another mistake by rushing my decision. I already did that with the A-Spec kit.

Didn't mean to jack your thread, but we seem to be seeking the same type information! Thanks, Chris
No hijacking, man! The more discussion we get going about all of these options, the more comfortable I/you/others will feel about their decisions... that is, until some new member decides to re-hash a thread from 2004 that starts this debate all over again! I, like you, dished out the dough for the A-Spec, only to decide later that it didn't do it for me from a visual perspective... and THAT'S why I wanted to start this thread. I don't necessarily feel like I wasted money on the A-Spec because there was a marked improvement in handling, but I do feel like my cash would've been better spent if I had gotten something that pleased me from a wheel gap / performance perspective the 1st time around. I don't want to pick something up, install it, and then find out it's not what I was expecting.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:36 PM
Hondaholic

Originally Posted by amadeus303
Lanny - how low do you consider "slammed"? I really like the look of the Sportsline drop that I've seen on some members' rides, which I believe to be ~2 inches, give or take, after settling. I think that would be about as far as I would probably go. So at that drop, would the added benefits of the FLEX warrant the extra $500 over the SS? I don't find the stock ride or the A-Spec ride to be stiff in any way, so I definitely think I have more "play" in going with a set of coilovers as long as there's not a substantial degradation in compliance (i.e., my wife wouldn't notice if I didn't tell her I changed out the suspension ). Ironically, I remember reading your original FLEX thread where you took your wife out in the car (using getting ice cream as the guise I might add ) to test that very same thing out! It's amazing what people notice when they're trying to pay attention to differences.

Also, how easy is it to adjust the height and dampening? All I would have to do is remove the wheels to set each corner, right? I don't have to disassemble anything? I'm just wondering what adjustments, if any, need to be made when the snow season comes. Have you braved a NE winter yet with your Teins, Lanny?
Sportlines are listed as 1.9/1.6, and the preset drop on the SS is 2.0/1.6, so basically very similar. At that drop, the SS would be identical in terms of travel to the FLEX (at least going by the specs of my FLEX, which was 2.0/1.7, but as I said it changes all the time. It's currently listed at 1.9/1.3). So if you're not going lower than 2.0/1.6, the extra travel advantage of the FLEX would dissappear.

Height adjustment is like you said; jack it up, pop off the wheel and rotate the lower perch with the supplied tool.

I haven't done winter yet, but it's coming. Either going back to stock tires or getting 18" A/S. And raising it up a little bit .............

But like I said, come up and see it in person. Even if you go SS, you'll have a good idea what it's like.....
Old 09-04-2005, 12:41 AM
Got Milk???

Originally Posted by BlackTSXer

What settings you got dialed in as of now? by the way, where are you from?
Old 11-02-2005, 10:03 PM
Instructor

R these the comptech 1'' F/R drop?
Old 11-02-2005, 10:54 PM
Hondaholic

Originally Posted by gfd1182
R these the comptech 1'' F/R drop?
The 110-155s are about a 1" drop on the TSX, maybe a bit more. With the Koni height adjustment, you can get 1.5"+, which gives a great look.......
Old 11-03-2005, 09:21 AM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

Old 11-03-2005, 09:12 PM
Instructor

acura of escondido is telling me their springs for the tsx 110-160 is that almost the same?
can someone tell me what these numbers represent?
Old 11-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Drives With Hands

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gfd1182
acura of escondido is telling me their springs for the tsx 110-160 is that almost the same?
can someone tell me what these numbers represent?
Those are the new Comptech TSX springs. They have a slightly higher rate, and are identical to the Eiback Prokit springs. The 110-155s that everybody lauds for their ride quality are now sold by Comptech as the TL springs.

So, get the Comptech TL springs, and put them on your TSX. They'll fit.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:27 PM
Instructor

thanks rmpage for that info