Comptech Rear Swaybar Install - With Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 11:46 AM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joe... uber mad props on this thread you started. It cut out all the guesswork when I put mine in this weekend!

Anyone use polyurethane bushings? The washers that came with mine made it a pisser of a time trying to thread the bushing screws in straight... anywho, I hear an odd sound here and there, but I'm not sure if it's because I need to grease the bastards a little bit more, or if I may have over-torqued some things.

BUT WHAT A DIFFERENCE THIS BAR MAKES around the bends...
Old 09-06-2005, 11:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SiHawk
Yes, it really works... I learned this trick from a friend a few years ago, and have used it on my own cars.

Put a few wraps of Teflon tape around the sway bar at the bushings, and you'll be set for a long time with no squeaks.
I did this too and, so far, no squeaking.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by amadeus303
Joe... uber mad props on this thread you started. It cut out all the guesswork when I put mine in this weekend!

Anyone use polyurethane bushings? The washers that came with mine made it a pisser of a time trying to thread the bushing screws in straight... anywho, I hear an odd sound here and there, but I'm not sure if it's because I need to grease the bastards a little bit more, or if I may have over-torqued some things.

BUT WHAT A DIFFERENCE THIS BAR MAKES around the bends...
Thanks man, glad you appricate it!

I bought a set of poly bushings a few weeks back. Just havent had a chance to put them on yet. I'll let you know how it turns out...
Old 09-07-2005, 08:17 AM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

For those that have the bar installed...

Does the car sound "different"? I don't know if I can describe exactly what I hear. It doesn't sound like anything is wrong, but I definitely hear a pop-like sound when I go over some rough patches on the road which I assume is the stiffer sway bar trying to stabilize the car. I'm hoping that someone will just tell me that I'm being overly sensitive or paranoid. The car drives great, and I don't hear anything when I'm on smooth pavement...
Old 09-07-2005, 08:36 AM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't hear anything strange.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by amadeus303
For those that have the bar installed...

Does the car sound "different"? I don't know if I can describe exactly what I hear. It doesn't sound like anything is wrong, but I definitely hear a pop-like sound when I go over some rough patches on the road which I assume is the stiffer sway bar trying to stabilize the car. I'm hoping that someone will just tell me that I'm being overly sensitive or paranoid. The car drives great, and I don't hear anything when I'm on smooth pavement...
Did you notice it immediately after you replaced the RSB? If not then you may want to crawl back under and retorque everything. Something could have loosened up. The recommendation is that after you install it, drive it around, then check the torques. If its something that you noticed immediately then . Mine doesn't make any noise.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:19 AM
cmd
Instructor

No noises here. Make sure your endlink nuts are tight.

CJams -- I agree! Now the kids in the back seat like to yell "wheeee" on the winding route to the sitter.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:49 PM
TSX

what type of grease/brand did you guys use?
Old 09-08-2005, 12:05 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Originally Posted by cmd
No noises here. Make sure your endlink nuts are tight.

CJams -- I agree! Now the kids in the back seat like to yell "wheeee" on the winding route to the sitter.

Dang... that's what it was. After I originally installed the bar, I drove around for a bit, and then retorqued everything again. I guess I didn't tighten the driver's side end link enough! I KNEW something was wrong

Thanks guys...
Old 09-08-2005, 03:57 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
congrats! Enjoy the silence!
Old 09-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Racer

Just got mine in the mail, was going to manage the install tonight with the use of my trusty flashlight. But my RSB didn't come with the washers, so no go for tonight. (Got mine through the Black Market.) Tomorrow, I'll head to Home Depot. Does anyone know what size washer I should get offhand?
So anxious! It's just sitting in my den, taunting me
Old 09-13-2005, 03:14 AM
Racer

So I couldn't wait at all and went to Home Depot before they closed. I grabbed a Maglight and 4 correctly sized washers.
So I started around 10pm.... Yeah not the best of ideas, but I was excited!
First thing I noticed was that my darn Craftsman 2.5 ton jack from Sears wouldn't lift high enough from the back to put the jack stands in on the side. So I got the jack that came with the car for switching out wheels, put it up as far as it could go on each side and slid the jack stands in that way.
As for the rest of the install, it was really tricky getting one of the bushings on. It was semi-crooked and the bolt did NOT want to screw in, so i put that end link on first and that put it well in place to get the bolts lined up correctly. I used teflon tape in the bushings. The other tricky part was holding the damn flashlight in place while trying to do all this, lol.
So I finished up around midnight. Took me 2 hours for the first install ever and it was at night. Not bad for a .
I had enough time for a quick 5-10 minute test drive afterwards. I took it around a few onramp/offramps. First impression, body roll has been reduced quite well. The back end started to come out a bit as well. First time I have really felt that, having never driven a RWD car to the limits before. It was pretty fun and the tires did some squealing. The steering also felt a little "heavier." I felt more connected to the road, which is a good thing.
Also, there was a little creaking as well, but I put my maglight in the trunk next to the spare tire, so it might have been that shifting around. Tomorrow, after work, I'll put the car back on jack stands and re-torque the bolts.
Thanks for the all the write-ups and hints, guys. Sure helped a ton!
Old 09-16-2005, 11:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
RWD?? Hmmmmmmmmm the TSX is FWD! Congrats on your install Makes me wanna order one..........
Old 02-26-2006, 01:27 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the writeup. Going to need these instructions soon. Got the RSB on order.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:51 PM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Over in the TL forums I just posted some instructions and tons of pictures on how I installed the upgraded energy suspension poly bushings. I managed to get the greasble ones on my car...the non-greaseable version fits the TSX / TL with the CT RSB though (you still grease it by hand when installing however).

You should definitely grease the CT bushings even if you don't upgrade to the aftermarket ones to prevent squeaking and thumping. My trick was to put on a latex surgical glove from the depot..dip my finger in a can of good marine trailer grease, and smear it liberally inside the bushings and on the bar where they sit. The following week I upgraded even further to the aftermarket bushings (about $13 cost).

This is very simple install, I just backed the car up my 2 tire ramps, and the other key tool is a ratcheting crescent wrench makes it simple as can be.

Thought I'd share with our TSX brothers over here!
Old 03-20-2006, 10:04 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SiHawk
Yes, it really works... I learned this trick from a friend a few years ago, and have used it on my own cars.

Put a few wraps of Teflon tape around the sway bar at the bushings, and you'll be set for a long time with no squeaks.
good idea...

i'm thinking the teflon tape may come in handy for other rattle/buzz/squeak-related DIY's...
Old 06-08-2006, 01:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just installed my Progress RSB.
Thanks to the tips and pics in this thread.

Next, grab your ratchet and remove the 14mm bolts. NOTE - on the driver's side, one of the bolts is very close to the exaust piping. Your going to need a SMALL rachet for this one.
Here's a tip to add to this thread.
Remove the exhaust/muffler from the hooks for more clearance.
There's one at the rear behind the muffler, and one right in front of it.
Now you should be able to fit any wrench around the bolt
Old 06-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Have camera, will travel

^^Good info. I'll keep that in mind when I do my install next week.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:18 AM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Originally Posted by jlukja
I did this too and, so far, no squeaking.
Are you able to do this to both sway bars without removing the endlinks???
Old 06-10-2006, 09:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TSX420J
Are you able to do this to both sway bars without removing the endlinks???
Not 100% sure, but I think you should be able to.
The endlinks pivot, so you should be able to lower the sway bar to remove/adjust the bushings.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:08 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by psteng19
Not 100% sure, but I think you should be able to.
The endlinks pivot, so you should be able to lower the sway bar to remove/adjust the bushings.
If you've already installed the RSB then all you need to do is:
1. take out bolts holding the bushing brackets,
2. slide the bushing to the side,
3. wrap the bar with the tape,
4. slide the bushing over the tape and back in place,
5. reinstall the brackets and bolts.

However, if you're already doing this why not order the poly bushings and just replace them in steps 2 & 4 above. My bar doesn't squeak but the rubber bushings are starting to deform and fray on the ends.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:31 AM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Originally Posted by jlukja
If you've already installed the RSB then all you need to do is:
1. take out bolts holding the bushing brackets,
2. slide the bushing to the side,
3. wrap the bar with the tape,
4. slide the bushing over the tape and back in place,
5. reinstall the brackets and bolts.

However, if you're already doing this why not order the poly bushings and just replace them in steps 2 & 4 above. My bar doesn't squeak but the rubber bushings are starting to deform and fray on the ends.
Perfect thanks guys..

I havent installed one yet.. The reason I ask is because after installing my springs and shocks Ive noticed squeakiness in the front but not in the rear.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:06 AM
Pro

I ordered the Progress Rear Sway bar yesterday so I can't wait to get it. I'm going to install it myself with the aid of wheel ramps.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:31 AM
Racer

The write-up was a huge aid, made the whole process trivial (not that it was complicated to begin with, but the photos and wrench sizes made it a snap), had the stock bar out in no time. Getting the Progress bar in was another matter, still not sure how it got in place, all of a sudden (after about 30 frustrating minutes, had both rear wheels off too) it was just where it need to be - except it was upside down. I've never done this before, had no idea that could happen. Anyway, huge improvement. Only downside, I think I need new tires...
Old 07-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I've taken my sway bar off and put one on a couple times and I've found most recently that its a heck of a lot easier to drop the exhaust. there's 4 hangers that pop right off and it gives plenty of room to maneuver the bar to the other side
Old 07-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Racer

Quick question, anyone here put this on a stock TSX suspension? Or will this only improve an aftermarket set up?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 07-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by kennungesser
Quick question, anyone here put this on a stock TSX suspension? Or will this only improve an aftermarket set up?

Thanks,
Ken
it would benefit a stock suspension the most, its a great first mod
Old 07-06-2006, 01:36 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by kennungesser

Thanks,
Ken
I put it on an otherwise stock setup just this past weekend. Five days with it and I'm still impressed. Difference is night and day.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Racer

Great!!! Now I gotta convince my wife we need this.

Thanks guys!!
Old 07-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Advanced

Just from one engineer to the group; you shouldn't have to lift the car in the air to do this modification... So long as the car is parked on level ground, and you have enough room underneath it to do the install, the RARB should be neutral...

Just my 2 cents. I did my swap without even jacking my car up...
Old 07-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DarkLava
Just from one engineer to the group; you shouldn't have to lift the car in the air to do this modification... So long as the car is parked on level ground, and you have enough room underneath it to do the install, the RARB should be neutral...

You must be ultra thin or ultra flexible.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

I found it to be a lot easier if you takea wheel off.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by psteng19
You must be ultra thin or ultra flexible.
There's no way I can fit under the rear of the car without getting it off the ground.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by DarkLava

I wouldnt say its impossible, but you cant honestly say you didnt struggle with getting the old one out and putting the new one in.

It took about 5 mins to jack up the rear, put jackstand, and take off one wheel. Its worth the time...
Old 07-17-2006, 01:08 PM
Rebourne

Which one is better, Progress or Comptech RSB? I'm looking to purchase one soon, and thought I'd ask which one was better (thicker) and if possible can anyone refer me to a link with a reasonable price?
Old 07-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jrock04TSX
Which one is better, Progress or Comptech RSB? I'm looking to purchase one soon, and thought I'd ask which one was better (thicker) and if possible can anyone refer me to a link with a reasonable price?
There must be dozens of threads on Progress vs. Comptech RSB. Please search and I'm sure you'll find the answer to your question.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Have camera, will travel

^^They're both pretty similar and of the same thickness. Progress had the advantage intitially because they shipped with poly bushings (quieter), but I think the Comptech is now too.

The Progress will be the better choice if you go to an aftermarket cat back exhaust, due to clearance issues. The Comptech will clear fine with the OEM exhaust and the Comptech exhaust.

Searching will reveal a ton of info on this topic. I got my Progress here.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:26 PM
Have camera, will travel

jlukja beat me to the punch.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:50 PM
Intermediate

the last thing i want to do is be one of those annoying guess who comes onto a forum and whores out his sponsors. But i would just like to add, that H&R also makes a rear saw bar for the tsx. And they might be producing a 24mm RSB.

just another option incase you guys weren't aware of it.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by jimmyc
the last thing i want to do is be one of those annoying guess who comes onto a forum and whores out his sponsors. But i would just like to add, that H&R also makes a rear saw bar for the tsx. And they might be producing a 24mm RSB.

just another option incase you guys weren't aware of it.
i would love a 24mm bar, everything that's out right now is basically exactly the same

Quick Reply: Comptech Rear Swaybar Install - With Pics!