Changed all 4 tires; shaking through the steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed all 4 tires; shaking through the steering wheel

I recently changed from the OEM Michelins (55,000 miles) to Eagle GT's. I now have a pronounced shake that comes through the steering wheel. My hand is visibly moving when driving over 45 MPH; even my girlfriend asked me why. Any thoughts? Tire were mounted and balanced by a reputable local tire place where my brother works. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Racer

Have the shop ride with you in the car so they feel the shake. They ask them to re balance the wheels. That is most likely the problem, if that doesn't fix it get another set of same tires, one or a couple could have defects.

What type of tires did you get? I am going to be in the market for new tires soon and I am curious. Good luck
Old 06-03-2009, 10:35 AM
10th Gear

The speed you are referring to indicate a tire wheel issue, most probably balance. If the machine they spun them on is out of calibration, they may have done everything right only to get poor results. If you are able to have the tires "road force balanced" do it...the results are awful good!@
Old 06-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by shmork53
Have the shop ride with you in the car so they feel the shake. They ask them to re balance the wheels. That is most likely the problem, if that doesn't fix it get another set of same tires, one or a couple could have defects.

What type of tires did you get? I am going to be in the market for new tires soon and I am curious. Good luck
Thanks for the quick response. I got Goodyear Eagle GT's.

Originally Posted by Gettel Acura
The speed you are referring to indicate a tire wheel issue, most probably balance. If the machine they spun them on is out of calibration, they may have done everything right only to get poor results. If you are able to have the tires "road force balanced" do it...the results are awful good!@
Thanks. I will go back and have them take a look at it.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:10 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+1 on the need for re-balancing, this sounds 100% like a balance problem. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:47 AM
gistered User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Audioserf
+1 on the need for re-balancing, this sounds 100% like a balance problem. Good luck.
I had a shimmy I could feel @ 75mph when I replaced my oem tires on the oe rims. Lost 2 lugs on the RR wheel. Shop A-H's never tightened. And, I believe Moda_way, mentioned his rear camber kit needed tightening a some point. All I know is alignment/rears was fncked-up after leaving that shop. good luck.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Instructor

I recently had an experience similar to carmagnut's. I had my OEM Michelins replaced six weeks ago; went with Toyo T1-Rs on the OEM wheels.
After two or three weeks, I began noticing a vibration that came and went with speed. It was most noticeable between 55 and 60 and between 65 and 70. (Strangely, it didn't seem consistent from day to day: On one occasion, it was severe enough that I thought one of my tires must be going flat. Going home eight hours later, the vibration was much less pronounced.)
Anyway, I called the shop that did the mounting and balancing, and the owner urged me to come over ASAP so he could do a balance check. He didn't hesitate to say that what I was describing sounded like a balance problem.
I took the car over the next day -- it was last Friday -- and it turned out that both fronts were significantly out of balance. When I asked why that might be, he was at a loss, pretty much. He said he hoped it was just a matter of the tires breaking in -- that having been on the car for over 1,000 miles, they had now "stabilized." I'm hoping that's the case, too, obviously.
I've probably gone about 250 miles since the rebalancing, and so far so good. (Dunno what the owner will propose doing if the problem recurs.)