Anyone running Nokian WR G2 year round?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 08:39 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Anyone running Nokian WR G2 year round?

I'm looking for input on the Nokian WR G2 as a year round tire. I've suffered through 3 winters on my Yokohama AVID V4S and it's just too frightening to do again on relatively worn treads, especially now that I'm hauling a baby around in the winter too. I don't have the space to deal with dedicated winter tires, and I'm not in an area that I think justifies them (central Ohio), so I'm looking for something that will give me confidence in the winter but still be reasonably good performing tires in the other three seasons.

Do you have these tires?

Do you run them year round?

How are they in winter?

How are they the rest of the year?

Where do you live?

Any suggestions for alternate options that meet these criteria? What about Hankook Winter I*cept Evo?

Thanks for your input.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have them on my wifes 07' Odyssey. Pretty good, but I think there is better. In the wet they still spin a bit from a start. They also are not wearing as well as I had hoped. They will make it through this winter season and next summer get replaced. They have around 20K on them now. I will see how they do in the snow this year, if I have to I was thinking of getting dedicated snows for the van and then some summer tires next spring.

I put Hankook Ipike 400's on the TSX in the winter, and am looking for a decent wet weather tire to replace the craptacular Michelins that came with it. I found them and then confirmed my selection with a frined in MN who races Audi's on ice. He said the Hankooks tread is the same as the Hakalapatta's, just cheaper. I have had them for (3) seasons now and still going strong.

The best I had was Pirelli PZero Nero M&S on my 2K1 Maxima. Never slipped in the rain, and 8" of snow was like the Hankooks. they lasted 50K. Then went to Eagle F1 All season, not so great in the wet. But tirerack's ratings on the Pirellis is not as high.

Hope that helps.

P.S. Chicago area, below freezing rain, snowstorms, and heavy rain at times.

Last edited by vq30gtr; 10-21-2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: forgot to answer location.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:42 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love my Nokian's!

Good evening! It may be too late to help you with your questions, but here goes:

Do you have these tires?
Yes, for nearly 3 years/30,000 miles on my '05 TSX. I expect a lot from my car and these tires haven't let me down!

Do you run them year round?
Yes!!!! They were so fabulous that, after my first winter, I couldn't go back to the stock Michelins (which are still sitting in my garage!).

How are they in winter?
I love these tires--good grip, nice control! Nokians+TSX=

How are they the rest of the year?
Nice ride, all year round.

Where do you live?
New England! Home of ever-changing weather and awful roads!

Good luck with your tire search!