Alignment question, please advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 04:16 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alignment question, please advise

Does anyone know how will a camber change in the following example?
Camber reading -0.3 on the left, and -1.17 on the right. U go on and sit on the driver side (right hand drive) , how should have the camber been change? I am not lookinf for actuall reading but just positive or negative increase will be fine.

The reason i ask is because, that is what i did today on the alignment shop just to get a perspective to how camber changes. The end result was that i was geting less negative cambert on the right side or -1.12 on the right.
i thought our car will get more camber the lower we go?
Anyone care to expalin?

Thanks
Old 11-24-2005, 08:58 AM
cmf
ATCer

You need a camber kit in order to dial in a camber degree that will be equal on both sides. I am not sure what effects you'll have on performance with different camber settings. I personally ran -1.0 degrees on each rear wheel.
From my understanding, a bit of negative camber helps to give a bit more traction, but too much will cause excessive tire wear. Guess you gotta give to get.
Not sure that helps you out too much, and maybe someone else could correct me if/where I am wrong here.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cmf
You need a camber kit in order to dial in a camber degree that will be equal on both sides. I am not sure what effects you'll have on performance with different camber settings. I personally ran -1.0 degrees on each rear wheel.
From my understanding, a bit of negative camber helps to give a bit more traction, but too much will cause excessive tire wear. Guess you gotta give to get.
Not sure that helps you out too much, and maybe someone else could correct me if/where I am wrong here.
In other words, my question was, camber setting with u in car VS no people in car, assuming there is no change in settings.
i guess the more weight, the more negative camber it will get.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CivicEx1998
In other words, my question was, camber setting with u in car VS no people in car, assuming there is no change in settings.
i guess the more weight, the more negative camber it will get.
Yes, the more weight the more negative camber. But that is true of filling your gas tank too, so "dialing it in" is an ever changing thing.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by moda_way
Yes, the more weight the more negative camber. But that is true of filling your gas tank too, so "dialing it in" is an ever changing thing.
Ok so today while at the alignment, i did a test. While the guys have to alignment tools on the wheels, and everything is showing on the computer screnn, i hoped in the car just to see how the camber will read with me in car. Guess what i saw, a change from -1.17 to -1.12. Do u k now why it actaully read LESS negative camber with me in car? It was the driver side as i was sitting on that side.

I also did a test by jacking the driver side up only, and found the camber reading was getting MORE negative. Strange?
the reading should have been reverse, anyway, if u know, explained to me, thanks
I asked the alignment guy and he gave me this look
Old 11-24-2005, 06:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CivicEx1998
Ok so today while at the alignment, i did a test. While the guys have to alignment tools on the wheels, and everything is showing on the computer screnn, i hoped in the car just to see how the camber will read with me in car. Guess what i saw, a change from -1.17 to -1.12. Do u k now why it actaully read LESS negative camber with me in car? It was the driver side as i was sitting on that side.

I also did a test by jacking the driver side up only, and found the camber reading was getting MORE negative. Strange?
the reading should have been reverse, anyway, if u know, explained to me, thanks
I asked the alignment guy and he gave me this look
Are you talking about the right rear corner was -1.17, and decreases to -1.12 when you sat in the driver seat? If so, that's because you loaded the left front corner with the extra weight causing the right rear corner to go up slightly, thus decreases the negative camber. Same thing when you jack up the driver side corner, which transfers the weight to the right rear corner, increases negative camber.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JTso
Are you talking about the right rear corner was -1.17, and decreases to -1.12 when you sat in the driver seat? If so, that's because you loaded the left front corner with the extra weight causing the right rear corner to go up slightly, thus decreases the negative camber. Same thing when you jack up the driver side corner, which transfers the weight to the right rear corner, increases negative camber.
i am acutally living in Asia right now, and i have a EuroR. So for me, right side equal driver side and it is for the front.