Adjusting Tein coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adjusting Tein coilovers

A question for all the Tein SS and Flex owners. The instructions say the hardest setting is full clockwise, and they're supposed to come from the factory at this setting. It however also says do not turn past the last position as it might cause daamge.

I'm a little confused, does the dial stop at the hardest setting like it does for the softest, full counter-clockwise? I've been too scared to see how far it'll go, so I've been resetting to softest and then counting to 16 as I turn clockwise. But I swear there is more clicks left to turn after I reach 16... is it possible to go beyond 16?
Old 04-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

i turned it 16 times and stopped b/c i saw the same thing
it does go past 16 tho...weird.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I did turn it past 16 clicks to see how far it would go. It turns out I can go about 28 clicks front and 27 clicks rear. The firmest setting is fully clockwise and softest fully counter-clockwise. #1 click being fully clockwise. I ended up with #8 front and #7 rear.

One thing I notice is the tension on the adjustment knob not being consistent. When I had the Konis, the adjustments weren't clicks but rather friction, and it was relatively consistent. The adjustment knob on the Flex sometimes is silky smooth but sometimes it's pretty difficult to turn. It feels like it got stuck on an indent. Applying more force will rotate it out of the indent and it becomes smooth again.

Btw, LannyM contacted Tein and was told if you go past 16, something internal might fall apart and require full disassemble of the unit .
Old 04-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry I can't help you xizor, but I just had a Spinal Tap flashback.

"It goes to 11!"

Old 04-12-2005, 10:35 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by JTso
I did turn it past 16 clicks to see how far it would go. It turns out I can go about 28 clicks front and 27 clicks rear. The firmest setting is fully clockwise and softest fully counter-clockwise. #1 click being fully clockwise. I ended up with #8 front and #7 rear.

One thing I notice is the tension on the adjustment knob not being consistent. When I had the Konis, the adjustments weren't clicks but rather friction, and it was relatively consistent. The adjustment knob on the Flex sometimes is silky smooth but sometimes it's pretty difficult to turn. It feels like it got stuck on an indent. Applying more force will rotate it out of the indent and it becomes smooth again.

Btw, LannyM contacted Tein and was told if you go past 16, something internal might fall apart and require full disassemble of the unit .

they shoulda put some kind of stop mechanism

what dorks

oh well, i have edfc
Old 04-12-2005, 10:35 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Sorry I can't help you xizor, but I just had a Spinal Tap flashback.

"It goes to 11!"

:troutslap
Old 04-12-2005, 10:37 PM
Cruisin'

going under 16 is in the service area which is not good .... you shouldn't go lower thats what the tein dealer told me.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dzuy

they shoulda put some kind of stop mechanism

what dorks

oh well, i have edfc
Does the EDFC motor turn fully clockwise first to reference home, then counts back from there to the desire setting?
Old 04-12-2005, 10:42 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

there's some great engineering there. so, when you say firmest is full clockwise, does that mean 16 or 28? The instructions are a POS, it keeps saying turn it all the way clockwise then count back 8 to the middle... obviously that's not what you're supposed to do. O well, guess I was doing it right. I was hoping I could get the SS a little stiffer for racing... might require an upgrade to Flex some day in that case.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:43 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by //JDMTSX//
going under 16 is in the service area which is not good .... you shouldn't go lower thats what the tein dealer told me.
shouldn't go under? where's mrheeltoe, we're getting some conflicting reports.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:50 PM
Senior Moderator

I think the confusion is how people reference firm and soft. I reference fully clockwise (firmest) being #1 and softest being #16. However, on the Konis, fully counter-clockwise is the firmest.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:53 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

I think the confusion is how people reference firm and soft. I reference fully clockwise (firmest) being #1 and softest being #16. However, on the Konis, fully counter-clockwise is the firmest.
yea, it's weird how 16 is the softest, you would think its the hardest
Old 04-12-2005, 10:56 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

looks like I've been doing it wrong the entire time, crap. I've turned it fully counter-clockwise many times, but it was so soft I turned it up to 16 from counter... which is something like 12 from clockwise. I'll have to make sure not to do that again. I don't think anything fell out ...
Old 04-13-2005, 06:34 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm no expert here, but I've owned 3 different sets of TEIN coilover and the oldest one (since 1998) is still in my Prelude. I bought it when TEIN wasn't even popular here in U.S. So I've gone through what you guys are asking. Here is what it should be.

Full stiff = full clockwise. When adjusting your shocks, ALWAYS start from full stiff then count back the clicks. Do not go over the 16th click (the softest). It won't hurt the shock immediately if you go pass that, but if they stay that way for a while, internal damage may develop. Also, when turning the knob all the way to clockwise position, don't force it after it stops. You should turn the knob back until it clicks. This is the full stiff setting. Start counting from here.

Back in the late 90s, I was told that the stiffest setting should be #16, but for the past several years, I have heard the opposite. So I don't care what other say, I always call full stiff as 16, full soft as 1. And when I tell people what my settings are, I'll tell them that 16 is the stiffest, and my settings are such and such. So in my TSX, I set my FLEX at 10f/8r (16 being full stiff).

Hope this helps.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:33 PM
Nick

The man above is correct. This was a question just a couple days ago on another forum and since I have the old Tein HA's on my Supra, I was paying attention to what's right. It was info posted right from Tein. Go full CW for hardest and count back from there.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Senior Moderator

I think this is the reason why Tein wants us to set to #8 which is the middle. So it doesn't matter which way you count, you are still right.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:58 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by vwong
I'm no expert here, but I've owned 3 different sets of TEIN coilover and the oldest one (since 1998) is still in my Prelude. I bought it when TEIN wasn't even popular here in U.S. So I've gone through what you guys are asking. Here is what it should be.

Full stiff = full clockwise. When adjusting your shocks, ALWAYS start from full stiff then count back the clicks. Do not go over the 16th click (the softest). It won't hurt the shock immediately if you go pass that, but if they stay that way for a while, internal damage may develop. Also, when turning the knob all the way to clockwise position, don't force it after it stops. You should turn the knob back until it clicks. This is the full stiff setting. Start counting from here.

Back in the late 90s, I was told that the stiffest setting should be #16, but for the past several years, I have heard the opposite. So I don't care what other say, I always call full stiff as 16, full soft as 1. And when I tell people what my settings are, I'll tell them that 16 is the stiffest, and my settings are such and such. So in my TSX, I set my FLEX at 10f/8r (16 being full stiff).

Hope this helps.
no that doesnt help

jk

well i have the edfc, when you reset it (turn off power) the edfc defaults to 0, which it says is the stiffest setting.

it's true b/c when it is at 0 - you cant even push my car down at all.

i think it evens says that 0 is the stiffest in the edfc manual.

i'm at 12. full soft is cool for a while b/c it resembles stock quality - but it's too mushy.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Bringing this back for some additional info. I was at the shop today for the dyno and came across the EDFC display as well as the Tein catalog. The EDFC Soft button has a + which increases the number and the adjustment turns counter-clockwise. The Hard button has a - which decreases the number and turns clockwise. The settings match the description in the catalog. Mystery solved.

Old 06-12-2005, 01:57 AM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also wanted to add a little tid bit JTso told me about when he installed mine. Drill a hole in the back seat to adjust the rear coilovers like in this pic...it makes life so much easier and you don't have to pull the car apart to adjust them.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:09 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What EDFC setting does the TIEN basic come in? Does the car handle significantly better than

stock? Does it handle any worse than the SS? Besides the EDFC what is the advantage of the

SS and Flex Coilovers? Sorry, but I'm only 17 and I'm quite a n00b at suspension mods... Some

help would be great.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:10 AM
Racer

Also, is the ride really stiff on the setting the basic starts on or just slightly...
Old 06-12-2005, 02:12 AM
Racer

Sorry for the 3 posts, but what are the upper pillow ball mounts? Aren't they standard on the SS and FLEX models, but not on the BASIC...
Old 06-12-2005, 05:22 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by BlackAc036
Sorry for the 3 posts, but what are the upper pillow ball mounts? Aren't they standard on the SS and FLEX models, but not on the BASIC...
they only come on the Flex, not the SS. The flex is a fully complete coilover and is a direct swap w/ the OEM suspension, it comes w/ a metal pillowball mount (upper mount). The SS and Basic are not complete, they use part of the OEM suspension so you need to disassemble that and reuse the rubber upper mount. A metal pillowball mount makes the ride more stiff (metal instead of rubber flexing) and can give a tighter suspension.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Racer

Can you buy the Basic and order a metal pillow ball mount? Then will you use anything on the OEM suspension?
Old 06-12-2005, 08:45 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Can you buy the Basic and order a metal pillow ball mount? Then will you use anything on the OEM suspension?
no you cannot, you need to use the OEM ones for the basic and SS. Its not that bad though, if you were going for all out performance you'd be going for the flex anyways. the OEM Rubber makes the ride a little bit softer.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Racer

So is the ONLY difference between the SS and Basic the EDFC, if so (What EDFC does the Basic come with?)
Old 06-12-2005, 10:20 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

So is the ONLY difference between the SS and Basic the EDFC, if so (What EDFC does the Basic come with?)
you're a bit confused. The Basic are height adjustable only and don't have pillowball mount. The SS is height and dampening adjustable and don't have pillowball. The Flex are height and dampening adjustable, come w/ pillowball mount and are EDFC compatible. EDFC is an eletronic way to set the dampening stiffness while inside your car, it does not work w/ the basic or SS.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Racer

Alright, gotcha, so how do you adjust dampening force on the SS? Is it set a certain way for the Basic?
Old 06-12-2005, 10:27 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Alright, gotcha, so how do you adjust dampening force on the SS? Is it set a certain way for the Basic?
you adjust it turning a knob at the top (same on the flex w/o EDFC), the Basic comes at one setting. I believe its right in the middle of the 16 settings available for the SS.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:20 PM
Racer

Thanks for all the help, I'm going to place an order on the Basic's. Correct me if I'm wrong: The Basic is height adjustable and the only difference between IT and the SS coilovers is the dampening adjustment feature, which comes stock at lvl 8 for the BASIC... Do I have it straight?
Old 06-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Guinea Pig

Sounds about right! But I would suggest the SS over the Basics. It's nice to be able to adjust the dampening. You may only do it once in a while, but it's worth it. At least to me it is.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:40 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Thanks for all the help, I'm going to place an order on the Basic's. Correct me if I'm wrong: The Basic is height adjustable and the only difference between IT and the SS coilovers is the dampening adjustment feature, which comes stock at lvl 8 for the BASIC... Do I have it straight?
you got it right. honestly from members on the board, they say they never change their settings once its adjusted, so the SS might be overkill if you don't tweak it often
Old 06-13-2005, 09:59 PM
Racer

What kind of price did you guys pay for your TIEN Basic's, I'm trying to price it out, anyone with basic's get a good price?
Old 06-14-2005, 08:45 AM
Guinea Pig

Originally Posted by xizor
you got it right. honestly from members on the board, they say they never change their settings once its adjusted, so the SS might be overkill if you don't tweak it often
With basics you don't have the adjustment option. It's true, you don't need to change it once it's adjusted! But if you can't adjust it, you're stuck with what you get. It took me about 2 weeks before I was happy with the settings. If you plan on owning your car for a few years, it is worth the extra $200 to have the ride your happy with for the next couple of years. If the suspension is too stiff, you're stuck with it untill you get ride of your car! I would rather pay an extra few bucks and be happy with my ride every day instead of thinking, man I wish I could soften up my suspension a little bit, every time I got in my car.

It's up to you, good luck and happy purchase!
Old 06-14-2005, 02:59 PM
Racer

Just ordered my TIEN BASIC kit from MrHeelToe seconds ago and should be receiving it in a week, I'll keep you guys posted and I'll take some before and after pics of the car...
Old 06-14-2005, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Just ordered my TIEN BASIC kit from MrHeelToe seconds ago and should be receiving it in a week, I'll keep you guys posted and I'll take some before and after pics of the car...
definately keep us posted on what you think of the ride quality, i am also considering the TIEN BASICS. by the way how much did u get them for, if u don't mind me asking.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:23 PM
Racer

You can get them from Mr. Heel Toe for $685 shipped... just PM him, tell him BlackAc036 sent you.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:48 PM
Instructor

You can get them from Mr. Heel Toe for $685 shipped... just PM him, tell him BlackAc036 sent you.
cool man, i'll probably wait for your review before i make my final decision. so definately let me know when u get them on, and what u think of them thnx.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:04 AM
Intermediate

okay, i still have a quesiton.

so r we suppose to turn it all the way counter-clockwise or all the way clockwise first before counting the clicks?
Old 06-16-2005, 10:03 AM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 21Tsx
okay, i still have a quesiton.

so r we suppose to turn it all the way counter-clockwise or all the way clockwise first before counting the clicks?
Start with turning it all the way clockwise (stiffest), the count the clicks backward to soften the shocks.

Quick Reply: Adjusting Tein coilovers