Acura TSX 2006 - Sumitomo Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura TSX 2006 - Sumitomo Tires

Finally was able to replace the stock Michelin tires that I was never a fan of. Surprisingly I got 51,000 miles out of them over the course of slightly more than 6 years. They needed to be replaced a while ago, but happy that I finally was able to replace them now. The only good thing I can say about the Michelin Pilot tires is that I never got a flat tire from them. They started to feel extremely rough after about 40,000 miles and traction was not good anymore.

Got a very good deal on tirerack for Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 tires. 308 for the set of 4, plus 45 for shipping. Total was 353 for all 4 including shipping and then had them installed at a local tire shop. Had a wheel alignment done also.

They seem ok, maybe a little rough, but for the price I wanted to try them out. I could have purchased better tires, but also would have paid double the price. The Bridgestone Potenzas I'm sure are much better, but they were also 648 for a set of 4.

Hopefully these tires will perform decent enough to be able to enjoy them. I'll try to update in the near future.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
I have them on my TSX. They're crap lol. They came with my car when I originally purchased it and I've hated it since. I threw on an older set of almost bald Pirelli's on my car cuz they were so loud and no matter how many times they balanced it, the tires never seemed balanced and made vibrations. I'm running my Pirelli's till the end of this month then throwing on my winters. I'll be getting a set of Hankook Ventus V12's this coming summer. I had them on my previous car. Best bang for your buck, extremely quiet and smooth and they grip amazingly in the rain.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by andrewcjduong
I have them on my TSX. They're crap lol. They came with my car when I originally purchased it and I've hated it since. I threw on an older set of almost bald Pirelli's on my car cuz they were so loud and no matter how many times they balanced it, the tires never seemed balanced and made vibrations. I'm running my Pirelli's till the end of this month then throwing on my winters. I'll be getting a set of Hankook Ventus V12's this coming summer. I had them on my previous car. Best bang for your buck, extremely quiet and smooth and they grip amazingly in the rain.
They feel decent so far. Yea, there are much better tires I'm sure. Bridgestone Potenzas, etc. They also cost more than double the price. I've seen these sumitomo tires for over 100 dollars a tire on other websites. 308 for 4, hard for me to complain at this point. They're brand new and feel much better than the old Michelins I had on the car prior. If they do not perform well in the first few years, I'll gladly replace them with something better.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I am replacing some Falken 912's. They use Sumitomo rubber, imprinted on the the sides of the tires.
They are ~ok~ the first year had good traction, wet, fine in light snow, poor in heavy slush. The bad thing is that they wore quickly even with constant rotation and balance/alignment.

I wouldn't expect these Sumitomo tires to last long IMHO. MY Sumitomo rubber only lasted 2 years ~30,000 miles.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:12 PM
Intermediate

Yea, it's interesting because after 30,000 miles my stock Michelins didn't feel so great either. At 40,000 they were horrible and to my surprise I was able to get 51,000 miles out of them. They were due to be replaced a long time ago and I most likely should not have waited this long to replace them.

If I get 30,000 miles out of these tires, I probably won't complain too much granted they only costed 308 for the set. Add on shipping, tire installation and a wheel alignment, total was 500 for everything. Dealer would have charged at least 1000 just for the tires without a wheel alignment.

The new rotors and brakes make a good difference also. Happy I went with drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic brake pads. Nice quiet and smooth braking, so far.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
I am replacing some Falken 912's. They use Sumitomo rubber, imprinted on the the sides of the tires.
They are ~ok~ the first year had good traction, wet, fine in light snow, poor in heavy slush. The bad thing is that they wore quickly even with constant rotation and balance/alignment.

I wouldn't expect these Sumitomo tires to last long IMHO. MY Sumitomo rubber only lasted 2 years ~30,000 miles.