When to replace suspension and related components

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 02:27 PM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When to replace suspension and related components

Hi all. I own an 05’ TSX and am approaching the 160k mile mark. I am the second owner (got the car with 68k in 2012), and to my knowledge, everything on the car is original/stock components.

I have been been advised by the shop I go to for oil changes that I may want to get several components including the suspension, struts, and engine mounts replaced at this point in the cars life. I do plan on having this car for as long as possible, and have already replaced the rotors and calipers because of warping from the previous owners driving habits.

So, my questions are:

- what signs should I look for to indicate that these components are ready to be replaced?
- should I go with OEM or aftermarket parts, and if aftermarket, are there any brands that are better than others, or ones I should avoid?
- how much should I expect to spend (ballpark) on this?
- does anyone know a good Acura-centric shop in the Baltimore, MD Area?

thanks!!!!
The following users liked this post:
br3700 (08-07-2018)
Old 10-13-2017, 09:53 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 2005 TSX has 152k miles. I went in for an oil change and when the car was lifted one of the struts locked up. Since I had a set of acura shocks, I had them replace the front ones. Oh boy, what a change!! So now I am going to replace the rear struts too. Honestly, my car was not bouncy or anything. But now it rides so much better! You only feel the difference once you replace them. It even rides more refined. Before it was a bit unforgiving.
To answer your questions:
-With more than 130k miles and 12 years, the struts are ready for replacement, even though I drove an Accord for 200k without replacing them, but the nose was starting to dive a good deal.
-OEM struts last a long time but they are pricey. Kony or KYB are really good and much cheaper (I used OEM)
- Parts and labour 700 to 1000 bucks approx. If you go to an indy shop, you'll be paying $400 to install all four. Dealer will be more.
Hope it helps.

* I replaced both shocks and springs since I bought them like that. Price is from an independent Acura-Honda service shop.

If the car was driven always in the highway, the struts may be still ok, but being 12 years old, I would replace them.

Last edited by gardel; 10-13-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,165 Likes on 876 Posts
You can buy Acura parts from a discount site like bernardiparts or curryacuraparts.

The advantage is that they come as full assemblies that just bolt in, which saves a bit on labour.

Koni is *probably* a slightly better shock in terms of how they are tuned, as compared to stock. But I would not do 2 Acura shocks and 2 Konis.

KYB strut plus is a decent product...and the price is great. But they're likely not going to be comparable to OEM in terms of overall quality.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:21 AM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a '04 TSX with 130k. I'm looking into shocks and possibly coilovers as I move forward. I currently have stock everything in terms of suspension. At this point I am looking at Koni Yellows , since I have read favorable posts on the Konis (not just Yellows, but Koni in general).

I previously replaced my Wheel bearings (using OEM bearings), Hubs (OEM hubs) on the Front Left (FL) and Front Right (FR) and that made a huge difference in ride quality. As my original bearings and hubs were grinding and causing an outrageous vibration while driving. I also replaced my rotors on all four wheels.

In the FL and FR, I plan on adding a Stoptech BBK.
The BBK WILL force me to change the break lines in all 4 wheel wells. In alignment with the break lines supplied with the BBK, I purchased (separately) stainless steel break lines for the Rear Left & Right. I purchased both products, but have not yet installed them. Also the BBK will require wheel spacers for all 4 wheels. The wheel spacers are another thing I'm looking into. (That is a whole, other thread)

I'm also in the Baltimore (MD) area, and I haven't found any Acura specialty repair shop (that isn't a dealer). I'll keep looking though.

@Bmorelaxer What did you end up going with , in terms of suspension??