2006 TSX 6MT front end shake at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 02:25 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 TSX 6MT front end shake at highway speeds

My 2006 TSX 6MT seems to be a little shaky around 20-30 MPH, and very shaky around 60-70 MPH. I only feel this shake when ACCELERATING within those ranges. If I take my foot off the gas, the shake goes away, only to come right back when I put my foot back down. I read on Heel Toe auto I believe, that this is related to the inner CV housing chipping/wearing away and causing the bearings to scrape and cause the shake. HTAuto sells a rebuild kit for $150 but I'm not sure if I need a kit for each side or if my problem may only be on one side. Does anyone else have any info on this issue?
Old 03-28-2016, 10:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
Your axles may have worn out. Thats the most likely thing. Does it have a lot of miles? Is it lowered?

Could also be a motor mount.

I doubt its wheel balance.

It could be an alignment if its REALLY out of wack. Or it could also be a loose tie rod end or ball joint or torn bushing.

Have the car inspected. If you don't find any of the other things wrong, it is most likely an axle.

I found a junkyard on eBay selling a 58K mile axle when I randomly found a torn boot on mine (????). Shipped price was $65 with a 6month warranty. And it was an OEM axle.

A rebuild isn't a bad idea either. But...be ready to messy.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:23 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an '07 6MT. I bought it used at 132kms in Feb 2014. Around a year later in Mar 2015 (at 170kms), I started noticing the exact same symptoms. Under accel only, I would get massive front-end shake around 85-110 km/hr. I researched and ended up buying a brand new passenger side OEM axle from the dealership $$$. I swapped it in and boom, smooth driving.

Fast forward to May 2016 (205kms) and my car started doing the same thing again. I assumed I blew the same joint so I ordered up the Heel and Toe inner joints for both sides and sat on them for a couple of months while I got some time to do the repair (I do all my own work). I used the axle I pulled out from the previous repair and swapped the H&T inner joint onto it. At the same time, I also replaced the intermediate shaft hanger bearing. So with a renewed intermediate shaft and the H&T inner joint swapped onto the OEM axle ready to go, I swapped them into the car last week. When I went to test drive, the symptoms remained - ARGH.

I found a used driver's side OEM axle at a wrecker the next day (I was done spending so much money and time on this problem) and swapped it in two days ago and once again I was back to smooth driving. So my plan is to swap the H&T driver's side joint onto the axle I just pulled out and I have the 1-yr old OEM axle for the passenger side. Both are nicely tucked away in my garage for the next time this problem resurfaces (probably on the driver's side again since I out in a used axle).

Fun, fun, fun.