06-08 Manual A-spec Suspension on 06-08 Auto TSX

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 03:27 AM
2008 PWP TSX + Nav / Auto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06-08 Manual A-spec Suspension on 06-08 Auto TSX

Hey guys,

So I finally gotten my manual 06-08 TSX suspension installed on my 08 auto TSX. I have to say, the front drop isn't as much as I'd like, but it's acceptable at 2.75 finger gaps (before was 4 finger gaps). The rear is sitting at a tight 2 finger gaps (before was 3 finger gaps).

Overall, the suspension feels much more solid vs the stock suspension. When going over minor road bumps, it feels like the new suspension absorbs it more and you don't feel it in the chassis. With bigger bumps (e.g. speed bumps, ramps) you feel the force transfer to the chassis, but it's dampened faster than stock. The initial force feels a bit harder when you hit these bigger bumps, but it's dampened out faster than stock.

Brake dive and squatting during acceleration is reduced by a bit. The side to side motions when making turns feels much better vs. stock. I believe it's because I have a Comptech sway-bar installed already. I used to feel the car lean to one side when going 35km/hr making a left turn; now it's much more muted with the A-spec. It's very minimal lean that I can notice now.

I was hoping with the manual A-spec suspension on an auto TSX I'd get more drop, but I haven't seen that yet based on others' comments who have matched their A-spec suspension to their transmission type. My hope is that it's still settling and within a few weeks I can see a bit more drop (2 finger gaps in front and 1.5 in back would be perfect). I'm doing an alignment on Monday, so I'll see what happens then. As for rear camber, I can visually tell there is more negative camber. I don't know how significant it is, but I do have a new Ingalls rear camber kit waiting. I'd prefer not to install the camber kit, because it will certainly rust in our wet/cold Vancouver weather. I'd rather keep my OEM arms, which can withstand this type of elemental abuse.

Front:

Back:

Comments and opinions welcome! Hope this helps others who are worried about trying the manual version of the suspension on their auto TSXes.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:50 AM
Cruisin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey pally777,
Thanks for replying on my thread. I've been considering changing my suspension for awhile now, but I've been a little reticent about it because some of my friends who have done it have had mixed feelings about it. From your post, it sounds like you are mostly happy? From an aesthetic standpoint, your car looks really good.

I'm curious, and forgive me if you've already posted on this matter (I'm a new member on the forums, so if you've already got a detailed description just point me to it), what were your impressions of the Comptech sway-bar?
Old 08-20-2011, 02:44 AM
2008 PWP TSX + Nav / Auto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Acucurean
Hey pally777,
Thanks for replying on my thread. I've been considering changing my suspension for awhile now, but I've been a little reticent about it because some of my friends who have done it have had mixed feelings about it. From your post, it sounds like you are mostly happy? From an aesthetic standpoint, your car looks really good.

I'm curious, and forgive me if you've already posted on this matter (I'm a new member on the forums, so if you've already got a detailed description just point me to it), what were your impressions of the Comptech sway-bar?
Thanks for the compliment. I've actually upgraded to 18" aftermarket wheels and tires. It makes me want to lower the car another 0.75" up front due to my new wheels' specs.

Overall, I'm fairly satisfied with the performance aspect of the A-spec suspension + Comptech RSB. The comfort aspect is my only gripe. Where I drive, the roads are uneven (side to side uneven) and the roads aren't very well maintained (small pot-holes or cracks). This is not a good combination when you have a rear-sway bar. It causes the car to rock side to side slightly when driving straight. On relatively smooth pavement, there is no issue. The A-spec suspension itself will be pretty close to stock comfort and it's as close as you can get without being stock. The Comptech RSB was a great mod when I had just stock suspension, because it reduced body-roll a lot vs. stock. You can definitely notice this when making turns.

if you drive it for a few months you will get used to the suspension mods. Both the pros and the cons. If your priority is comfort and want a slight drop, then just do A-spec suspension and then you can consider a rear-sway bar after. If your priority is performance and asthetics, do no get A-spec and go with some other aftermarket setup along with the rear sway-bar.

Hope that helps. If you want any impression on specific aspects, let me know.