AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G TSX Racing & Competition (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-racing-competition-129/)
-   -   You Drag We Snag (NY drag racing bust) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-racing-competition-129/you-drag-we-snag-ny-drag-racing-bust-650451/)

TonyFresh 05-06-2004 11:02 PM

You Drag We Snag (NY drag racing bust)

check this out...whole bunch Dragers got caught up..30 grand in engine whhhhhaaaat...funny:D

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/vid...ers_video.html

xizor 05-06-2004 11:28 PM

that is just messed up when they use the forklift and end up ripping the bumper off that SI, you can see they already did it to the S2000. I hope the drivers get what they deserve, but be kind to the cars!

tsXgtp 05-06-2004 11:41 PM

They really need to build another track on the island. The two out east blow.
Oh, I forgot. It still isn't safe enough....or quiet enough. The land is too valuable...it goes on forever

dabuda 05-07-2004 08:55 AM

man, no need to mess up the cars

iamhomin 05-07-2004 10:00 AM

Never understood the drag racers anyway, but I do feel bad for the car.

slo007 05-07-2004 12:03 PM

Re: You Drag We Snag (NY drag racing bust)

WHEN IS THE AUCTION??? :)

callmetsx 05-07-2004 12:08 PM

My grandmother used to live on Zerega ave in the Bronx, one of the sites they mentioned in that story.

You would always hear people screaming down the street, I guess now I know why .

fdl 05-07-2004 12:14 PM

This happens every weekend in Toronto.

TonyFresh 05-07-2004 01:15 PM

Originally posted by xizor
that is just messed up when they use the forklift and end up ripping the bumper off that SI, you can see they already did it to the S2000. I hope the drivers get what they deserve, but be kind to the cars!
I agree...can they do anything bout that like sue the towing company...ill b real :mad:

slo007 05-07-2004 01:21 PM

Originally posted by TonyFresh
I agree...can they do anything bout that like sue the towing company...ill b real :mad:
I don't think they get the car back. It probably has so many mods, it ain't a legal car.

Junkster 05-07-2004 02:48 PM

Funny story...

I always thought it was a rumor that Colorado State Patrol had a special unit that cracked down on draggers. The funniest part of the rumor was that they used a police WRX Sti for their work...

Well, I saw a CSP Sti on the Subie forum and thought "maybe it's photochopped".

Two weekends ago, a buddy of mine was pulled over for speeding (got a warning. Can't blame him for speeding, he drives Integra Type R)... Anyhoot, he lets the cop drive out first, and he sees that it's a Sti.

Now I believe.

Junkster, whose also heard of SP Sti's in Ca and Az.

cmf 05-07-2004 03:05 PM

Racing imports is a growing "sport". Rather than always making it look like the guy with the beafed up Honda is a bad guy, they should try and do more to help out those that like to race instead of always cracking down...build more tracks, close streets on certain nights for racing.

What's stupid about these major cities, is they spend big bucks trying to arrest and bust everyone, when they could do more to help and actually make money off the deal. I'm sure everyone would pay to see the races, rather than take a chance of getting arrested.
There used to be a lot of street racing here in ELP, just recently, they turned an old prop job airport into a drag strip on weekend evenings....charge by car load and are now profiting....sounds smart to me.
Just my .02

gomez_regina 05-07-2004 04:07 PM

I think you could try building more tracks, but then there'd be rules in place (ie: drivers must wear helmets, etc) and then all the racers would complain about the rules.

If anything, I think it's a huge safety issue...the biggest problem is the inexperience of the drivers - not too many of these drivers have high-speed experience. They end up pushing it too hard, crash it and end up killing either themselves or bystanders.

slo007 05-07-2004 07:46 PM

Originally posted by cmf
What's stupid about these major cities, is they spend big bucks trying to arrest and bust everyone, when they could do more to help and actually make money off the deal. I'm sure everyone would pay to see the races, rather than take a chance of getting arrested.
There used to be a lot of street racing here in ELP, just recently, they turned an old prop job airport into a drag strip on weekend evenings....charge by car load and are now profiting....sounds smart to me.
Just my .02

Until someone dies. The liability is too big for cities to support this sport.

Billiam 05-07-2004 09:19 PM

Originally posted by slo007
That's why the NHRA and IHRA exist. The NHRA alone has about 140 member tracks in 40 states, Canada, Mexico, and Peurto Rico.

Drag Racing = Safe, legitimately sanctioned sport

Street Racing = Stupid and dangerous

Helicobacter Pylori 05-07-2004 09:45 PM

Originally posted by slo007

Agree. Also I don't think building more tracks will resolve this issue. Street racing is way too much to be considered as a sport. To me, it's gambling on money, car and life.

But again, why buying a high performance car and adding mods if you don't crave for speed? Human nature perhaps:dunno:

Linner 05-08-2004 12:38 PM

There is a hooked up white civic in my town owned by the police station with rims, dropped, tinted, a screen, stickers and a bunch of other mods. I dunno what they use it for, prob to lure in other street racers.

TonyFresh 05-09-2004 12:56 PM

Yes we have something like that around here too...we have a Z28 pimped..he picks races with pimped out cars and as soon as you give him the go...he flashes his lights..reason i know, personal dumb exp. when i was in HS:D

NocturnalEvo 05-09-2004 01:21 PM

I think thats a real stupid thing for cops to do. To have their own "hooked-up" car. And then they go around picking races with people, and then pull them over for street racing.

Thats just as stupid as a undercover cop handing a brick to somebody walking by a store, and telling them to throw the brick through the window, and when they do they arrest them.

And I agree, instead of cracking down all the time, they should follow what other places have done, and open up a few more racetracks (especially on long island, we need another one). I've heard of some tracks having special open nights, where for a few bucks, you can go to the track and race, and these things work, cz the tracks are always packed out.

Jab31169 05-10-2004 09:06 AM

my problem is I hate drag racing. I want to race on road corses.....

dabuda 05-10-2004 09:24 AM

Originally posted by NocturnalTSX
I think thats a real stupid thing for cops to do. To have their own "hooked-up" car. And then they go around picking races with people, and then pull them over for street racing...
prolly got the idea from fast and furious :cool:

DietCoke 05-26-2005 10:29 PM

Nocturnal TSX, your Lancer is amazing looking. I went on car domain with my friend and we were looking at Evo's and I said, "That is the coolest Lancer I have ever seen and I wanted to buy the thing." When I saw it was someones on the Acurazine forums I was pretty suprised. Honestly dude, whenever you sell that thing please call PM me... That ride is sweeeeeet!