TSX at Auto-x

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 02:24 AM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
TSX at Auto-x

I auto-x'ed my TSX for the first time today. I ran in G-Stock where the TSX belongs. I started out with a 67.280 in my first run. Then I progressively improved with 66.717 in my 2nd run and 65.607 in my final run. I think I finished mid-pack in the class of about 15 cars. I felt pretty good with this time because I was only 3 seconds behind the quickest G-Stock car which was on R-compound tires. If I had something stickier (probably Toyo Proxes T1-S) than the stock Michelins, I think I would be at least 2 seconds quicker. If I went further with R-compound tires like Kumho Victoracer or Estca V700, this would be an additional 2 seconds quicker, then I would be up there with the fastest G-Stock car. The quickest G-Stock car was a late 80s Honda CRX on R-compound tires, then followed by a VW Beetle on R-compound tires. I think I was the 2nd fastest G-Stock car that was on street tires (not to mention all-season tires).

And BTW, I beat an Infiniti G35 sedan which was in D-Stock. I was about 5 seconds quicker than the G35, but the driver of the G35 could be a newer driver in the auto-x scene.

Anyway, here are some pics my wife took today.

Old 09-01-2003, 02:31 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Death to all 56kers for sure

Nice pics though.

So any comments on how the car performed in this situation? How was the understeer? Were the brakes adequate? You ran on stock rubber?
Old 09-01-2003, 03:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I couldn't imagine a cooler coler to photograph.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:27 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey, thanks for posting, I always find it very interesting to know how our car does in racing. It is said the TSX may well be one of the best race car in touring series that Honda has produced yet, so far as handling goes.

Keep us posted
Old 09-01-2003, 08:04 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, looks like SO much fun! Im glad to hear our baby performed so well... Hopefully it continues to perform as well as we all know it can!

J.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:28 PM
Cruisin'

vwong, did you take any videos of your TSX autox? It'll be great if you did just like what you did for your Prelude on your website. I would love to hear the TSX engine sound.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:44 PM
n00b

I was tired last night, so I didn't really post my impression on the car.

Well, the car is all stock running on stock Michelins. My frist run out, I left the VSA on. At the start line, I revved up to about 3500 rpm and dropped the clutch. There was some wheel spin, but once the computer picked up the wheel spin, it shut some of the power down, and the car bogged a little. Around the turns, the inside wheel would spin on hard acceleration out of the corners, but once again, when the computer detected wheel spin, it shut some of the power down (could be the brake was applied, I have to study the service manual to see how the system works). The car was pretty stable through slaloms. The brake was pretty good, but I could use better brake to get into the corners deeper.

In my 2nd and last runs, I switched off the VSA. Off the line, the wheels just kept spinning. I had to modulate the throttle to reduce wheel spin to get some traction. Around the turns, there wasn't any assist, so the inside wheel would just spin. But because the computer would not shut down the power, I can control the wheel spin myself with the throttle. It was somewhat stable through slaloms, but I noticed that if I went deeper into the first slalom cone, then braked hard and turned at approx. the same time, the rear stepped out just a tad.

The steering was good, but because the stock Michelins weren't up to par, the steering was slightly slower in responsiveness to my steering input. The steering effort was good, not feel heavy in fast transitions. In my Prelude, the steering gets very heavy in fast transitions.

Overall (at least after yesterday's event), I think the TSX handled nicely. Yesterday's course was wide and fast, so I think it favored the TSX for it's size and power. But if the course was tight and slow, I don't think I can keep up with the more nimbe CRX and Neon.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:48 PM
n00b

Originally posted by Sir Henry
vwong, did you take any videos of your TSX autox? It'll be great if you did just like what you did for your Prelude on your website. I would love to hear the TSX engine sound.
Engine sound? What is that??? The car was so damn quiet, I hardly heard any noise from the engine. The wind noise and tire screech covered most of the engine noise.

Unfortunately, my camera mount doesn't fit the head rest posts in the TSX. The head rest posts are spaced too far apart, my camera mount just can't clamp onto the posts. I have to modify if a little to fit into the TSX. Believe me, I really wanted to video tape my runs just like what I normally do with my Prelude and Integra. Oh well...maybe next time.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:30 PM
Audi Driving Snob

is that qualcom? If so next time there is an autox down here give me a heads up..would love to check it out!
Old 09-01-2003, 06:03 PM
n00b

Originally posted by TinkySD
is that qualcom? If so next time there is an autox down here give me a heads up..would love to check it out!
Yup, that's Qualcomm. Here is SD Region's website, http://www.sdr-scca.com/solo2. Last year, I went to every single event I could go to, but this year, I've only been to the last one and the one this past Sunday. From the website, it looks like the next one is on 10/5/03. Unfortunately, there is an event also in the LA region. So I'll be at the LA one instead. But you're always welcome to check it out. It's opened to almost anyone who'd like to participate, and it's certainly free to any spectators.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: TSX at Auto-x

Sounds cool even tho I don't understand some things. What are these please?

- G-Stock?

- D-Stock?

- R compound tires?
Old 09-02-2003, 12:49 AM
Houston we have a problem

In car racing, not all cars compete in one big group. They are classified into different classes depending on their design, performance, etc. You can find out difference car class information here. Thus the designation of 'G-stock', 'D-stock', etc.

As for R-compound tires, it's a kind of tire designed to use in competition, rather than street use. The material they use is a lot stickier comparing to normal street tire, and they wear out very quickly. Most of them are not designed to use in rain/wet situation as well. Go to TireRack website. They have more detailed answer to your question.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:53 AM
Houston we have a problem

Hi vwong,
Glad to hear you did pretty good in the class. The next event here is gonna be a double, october 4 and 5th.

Did the brakes fade on your car? Mine did, pretty bad. Anyways, cool picture.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:24 AM
n00b

Originally posted by TSXautoXer
Did the brakes fade on your car? Mine did, pretty bad.
Slightly, not too bad though. But like I said earlier, I could use better brake so I could go into the corners deeper. I think a set of better brake pads will do. Also a set of SS braided brake lines will help to eliminate the "spongy feel" of the brake pedal.