SCCA Solo Class for TSX. Lower than a Jetta GLI?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 05:53 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SCCA Solo Class for TSX. Lower than a Jetta GLI?

http://mouton.best.vwh.net/sccasolo/

Why is the TSX in a lower class than the IS300, 04 Maxima, and even golf and Jetta GLI?? Thats right a Jetta.

TSX is in the same class as a base RSX?

Does this seem right?

Maybe I have over estimated the handling of this car. Or is it a matter of it being too underpowered for the D class?

Old 08-25-2003, 06:22 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good question, anyone who knows about these things care to tell us?
Old 08-25-2003, 08:50 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

OK , well here is my guess as to why this is.

a) Not enough torque/hp,
b) Its size makes it a little less than optimal for the tight turns of these types of events.

So if you are a bigger car lacking in handling ..you need alot of power to make up for it (maxima). And as for the jetta...well i still cant explain that one. I guess its smaller. At least they put the M6 in the same class as the TSX.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:54 PM

Unproven. If it does really well in it's current class, they may up-grade it. Otherwise, its a reality check for some of u.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:00 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Otherwise, its a reality check for some of u.

Well, not neccesarily. Like I said, the TSX may be too big for this type of application. I mean put a TSX on a go-cart track and it wont do half as well as a mini would, but on a real race track the TSX will do much better.

BUT, if a TSX can't outhandle a Jetta....well...that will just be very disappointing.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:02 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Other cars in the same class as the TSX include the Passat, Audi A4, M6, Saabs, and some 3-series. All of those vehicles handle about as well as the TSX. So, I guess I don't have an issue with this.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:13 PM
Racer

whens TSXautoXer going to say something about this???

till then, i'll eat some
Old 08-25-2003, 10:52 PM
Racer

Originally posted by tehCOW
whens TSXautoXer going to say something about this???

till then, i'll eat some
mmm... popcorn....
Old 08-25-2003, 11:19 PM
Racer

Originally posted by finalheaven
mmm... popcorn....
popcorn w/ extra butter makes me super gassy

on a side note...i'm thinking about checking out a SCCA solo2 event next week..
Old 08-25-2003, 11:51 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
I will be trying the TSX out this coming weekend at the SD auto-x. Since I don't run for points down there, and they don't really have STX for my Prelude, I'll just run the TSX for fun.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:00 AM
More On

Looks to me like the problem isn't so much where the TSX is, because if you look at what else is in the same class, it makes a reasonable amount of sense.

The problem is that most of those other cars that FDL mentioned are put in WAY TOO HIGH of a class. Unless I just don't understand the Maxima and the Jetta, no way they belong with the cars around them in their class.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:06 AM
More On

Oh -- About the RSX being in there with the TSX: This might be a key to the whole thing. From the overall context, i.e. which cars in general are placed where, it looks like they're giving extra points for being more of a "pure performance" car, and most people on here have agreed that RSX has it over TSX on that.

Anyway, one thing we can say for sure is that this isn't an attempt to rank cars on how "good" they are in any overall sense.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:31 AM
Houston we have a problem

Hmm...the truth is, I actually don't know the answer to that. One thing for sure, TSX out handles Jetta GLI on autocross ground (driver of Jetta: Ah, my side mirror just scrub the ground!). I don't know why they put Maxima and WRX in the same group. I will think obviously WRX will be leading...Also, Maxda RX-8 with it's tiny torque, is running with Mitsu EVO 8 and WRX STI...go figure...
vwong, can you ask someone about it? coz I am not going to another SCCA event 'till october. Thanks.

Also, as I said in another thread, I don't think it really matters...if I can beat some cars in DS, that means either I am a really damn good driver (nope) or the car is freaking good (most likely). And there's an X class which they use complicated calculation to rule out car differences. They are comparing drivers rather than cars.

Anyways, within the same group (GS), I think the most competitive car is Mini Cooper S. They actually out handles TSX with the cost of a stiff ride. As for the remaining cars, TSX can definitely give'em some hard time.

Larch, the RSX in GS is not the type s model, and the base RSX is not that much faster, and the bodyroll is quite noticeable. With the close ration 6MT, I think TSX is more than enough to compete with that. The guy who drove the stock RSX put Falken Azenis Sport on it, and was turning up some pretty good times. However, still it's only around mid-pack and with my poor skill even, I am not that far away from him...just FYI...
Old 08-26-2003, 01:44 AM
Houston we have a problem

Originally posted by vwong
I will be trying the TSX out this coming weekend at the SD auto-x. Since I don't run for points down there, and they don't really have STX for my Prelude, I'll just run the TSX for fun.
Are you using stock tires? Let us know how it goes. I bet you will do better than me, I am a beginner driver...show'em what TSX can do...
Old 08-26-2003, 03:01 PM
n00b

Originally posted by TSXautoXer
Are you using stock tires? Let us know how it goes. I bet you will do better than me, I am a beginner driver...show'em what TSX can do...
Yeah, I'm using the stock Michelins. I don't plan on auto-x'ing the TSX on a regular basis, so I won't be getting another set of stock wheels to put R-compound tires on.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:56 PM
1st Gear

I have an Integra GSR that is G stock and I think you should be glad that your car is classed there. If you were up in DS you would have to go up against all the Integra Type R's and WRX's. Several of those car/drivers have been competing for years and can really tear it up.

I think the power/weight of my GSR and the newer TSX is pretty close,(though I would be happy to take a trade if anyone wants to offer) so my lower weight and smaller size will give me a little advantage. But I also have the advantage of 15" tires, that means Azenis cost <60$ a pop for my car :-D.

But in autoX the phrase "90% driver 10% car" is very true. One of the better people here locally in GS drives a base Celica... He is a flat out amazing driver and his adjusted times are usually in the top ten.

Oh and this is my first post, big honda fan and really like the site. Not much hatin and arrogance like the my350z people have about their cars.

97 gsr
Old 10-01-2003, 04:13 PM
Audi Driving Snob

I don't see what the big concern is...we are lumped in the same group as the a4s, c230s, volvos, vw 1.8ts, older bmws, sentra se-rs...I think that's a pretty good group to be associated with.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:56 PM
n00b

Originally posted by ncsuteg
But I also have the advantage of 15" tires, that means Azenis cost <60$ a pop for my car :-D.
Yeah, but to be truly competitive in G-Stock, you really need to have R-compound tires (either Kumho or even better, Hooiser).