Rsx-s

Old 03-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Unregistered User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rsx-s

I got beaten by a stock RSX-S a couple of weeks ago in a 1/2 mile race. His rear bumper was a few inches ahead of my front bumper. What does it take to smoke an RSX-S in like 1/2 mile? Will reflash + pulleys + header + cat + heatshield cut it ?

Thanks for your advices
Old 03-10-2009, 08:58 PM
heel/toe is my specialty

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I am surprised the RSX wasnt further out in front. If you guys were that close at the end of the race, I suspect the reflash alone should get you what you are looking for.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Unregistered User

Originally Posted by Red@8
I am surprised the RSX wasnt further out in front. If you guys were that close at the end of the race, I suspect the reflash alone should get you what you are looking for.

I forgot to mention that I already had pulleys + header + cat + K&N filter at the moment. Mine is 2005 auto . I am just hoping that an upcoming reflash and heatshield will put me ahead of him . Any opinions ?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Race Director

man you need a 6 sp manual TSX in order to beat the RSX-S because only comes in 6 spd manual. if you had that with the rest of your mods, I think you could take a stock RSX-S.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:18 PM
heel/toe is my specialty

Originally Posted by Mokos23
man you need a 6 sp manual TSX in order to beat the RSX-S because only comes in 6 spd manual. if you had that with the rest of your mods, I think you could take a stock RSX-S.
Well with that logic the op should also lose two doors and take displacement down 0.4L

Strictly a guess: the reflash would seal the deal.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Unregistered User

^ Thank u guys for opinions.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:23 PM
WTF?

Received 243 Likes on 230 Posts
do you have just a cat? or is it a cat back?
I have an 05 at with reflash,pulleys,header,cat delete,and exhaust and the car takes the rsx-s.. you have to remember though are cars arent good off the line..
Old 03-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Unregistered User

Originally Posted by bluecarbonfiber
do you have just a cat? or is it a cat back?
I have an 05 at with reflash,pulleys,header,cat delete,and exhaust and the car takes the rsx-s.. you have to remember though are cars arent good off the line..

I have header, cat and stock cat-back exhaust. Do u have a CAI on yours ?
Old 03-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Racer

I second the 6MT. Sorry but doing performance mods on a AT is like pissing in the wind. Sorry if I offend any of you AT owners, but the TSX is so much better with the manual. I would have never ever bought a AT for a sports sedan, boring to drive and also more thing to go wrong. OP, the reflash will free up a few ponies with the rest of you other mods if that is what you really are after.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:25 PM
heel/toe is my specialty

Originally Posted by shmork53
I second the 6MT. Sorry but doing performance mods on a AT is like pissing in the wind. Sorry if I offend any of you AT owners, but the TSX is so much better with the manual. I would have never ever bought a AT for a sports sedan, boring to drive and also more thing to go wrong. OP, the reflash will free up a few ponies with the rest of you other mods if that is what you really are after.

No offense taken by this AT owner. I knew how slow the TSX was when i bought it, auto or stick, so for my DD auto made sense. I agree the car is more lively with a manual. It just seems like a silly statement to say "dont mod an auto" or "the rsx is faster becuase its a stick". Some of the fastest cars on the planet with the fastest shift times are autos. Not to mention that some of the worlds best sport sedans as well (m5, e63, ISF, C63, etc). Now obviously that is not the tsx. Mods (for the most part) make your car faster auto or stick. The stick will respond better (for the most part) to the mods. Plain and simple. If someone wants to build a "fast" tsx then it would be more prudent to start with the stick. Unless you can prove to me that adding whatever power adders the op has added (or anyone else) to an auto actually decrease the power/performance of the car your argument holds no truth. The belief that modding an auto is futile is like "pissing into the wind".

I dont want to start an argument here as i am sure this has been debated before. Not to mention this is not the topic of the thread.

Last edited by Red@8; 03-12-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:44 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
You might finish ahead with a reflash, but you will not "smoke" and RSX-S...

Consider FI + Kpro or another car!
Old 03-12-2009, 09:53 PM
on to a CRZ

No offense taken by this AT owner. I knew how slow the TSX was when i bought it, auto or stick, so for my DD auto made sense. I agree the car is more lively with a manual. It just seems like a silly statement to say "dont mod an auto" or "the rsx is faster becuase its a stick". Some of the fastest cars on the planet with the fastest shift times are autos. Not to mention that some of the worlds best sport sedans as well (m5, e63, ISF, C63, etc). Now obviously that is not the tsx. Mods (for the most part) make your car faster auto or stick. The stick will respond better (for the most part) to the mods. Plain and simple. If someone wants to build a "fast" tsx then it would be more prudent to start with the stick. Unless you can prove to me that adding whatever power adders the op has added (or anyone else) to an auto actually decrease the power/performance of the car your argument holds no truth. The belief that modding an auto is futile is like "pissing into the wind".

I dont want to start an argument here as i am sure this has been debated before. Not to mention this is not the topic of the thread.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Racer

^ x 2
Old 03-12-2009, 11:58 PM
Racer

I am not fishing for an argument at all, just stating my two cents that's it. It all comes to what makes you happy with your car. If beating a RSX s is what the OP wants out of it go for it. You are all correct its not necessarily on topic, and sometimes I lose focus while I read the subsequent posts and get sidetracked (stupid adult ADD) with some non-sense rant. Sometimes we all get a little off topic and this time it was me.

Once again OP get the reflash if you want some more HP and torque. I think the 05 auto is fresh out from HONDATA so if you do get it, let us know how it goes. Next thing would be some light weight wheels, looks good and gets ride of some drivetrain loss.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:22 AM
Employee #13

TSX's shouldn't be used for drag racing. they are too heavy, and underpowered. set it up right, and road race it.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Racer

Are you sure the type s is stock? I raced a type s and i barely beat it and was stock.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Unregistered User

Originally Posted by TSX408
Are you sure the type s is stock? I raced a type s and i barely beat it and was stock.

06+ TSX's have a few changes which put them 15-20 HP above 04-05 models. Also, I have an automatic tranny
Old 03-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by valeratj
06+ TSX's have a few changes which put them 15-20 HP above 04-05 models. Also, I have an automatic tranny
Ah that explains it. It still should of been a clean close race.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:53 PM
Unregistered User

^ And it was, except I lost. I raced my friend's stock 06 auto TSX and easily beat him. So I guess it just has to do with tranny type
Old 03-18-2009, 04:04 PM
heel/toe is my specialty

06+ has 5 more hp than the 04-05. To beat that rsx all you need is a few more whp. You can do that by adding the parts you mentioned previously or changing your tranny - choice is yours.

Last edited by Red@8; 03-18-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Unregistered User

06+ has 5 more hp than the 04-05. To beat that rsx all you need is a few more whp. You can do that by adding the parts you mentioned previously or changing your tranny - choice is yours.

5 HP is the official number. Look at dynos, my friend. How much would a tranny swap cost, BTW? I think someone did it for $5000. Which is a lot IMO
Old 03-18-2009, 07:59 PM
heel/toe is my specialty

5 HP is the official number. Look at dynos, my friend. How much would a tranny swap cost, BTW? I think someone did it for $5000. Which is a lot IMO
I know that in theory its supposed to be more as they changed the way the measurements were taken around that time (06). Not to mention a lot of guys with 06's are dynoing more than the 04's. WIth that said there are numerous 06's dynoing real close to the 04's as well. I am talking stock for stock. I just find that there are so many variables (weather, type of dyno, etc) when looking at the dyno sheets found on the web. I am going on my own personal experience. My friend with an 04AT and my 1st 06AT dynoed back to back, both stock on the same dyno. I was only ~4whp more than him! So i am basing my opinion on that. Who knows what happend though- perhaps his car was that great, perhaps my car was that bad?!?!?!
Old 03-18-2009, 09:45 PM
Unregistered User

I know that in theory its supposed to be more as they changed the way the measurements were taken around that time (06). Not to mention a lot of guys with 06's are dynoing more than the 04's. WIth that said there are numerous 06's dynoing real close to the 04's as well. I am talking stock for stock. I just find that there are so many variables (weather, type of dyno, etc) when looking at the dyno sheets found on the web. I am going on my own personal experience. My friend with an 04AT and my 1st 06AT dynoed back to back, both stock on the same dyno. I was only ~4whp more than him! So i am basing my opinion on that. Who knows what happend though- perhaps his car was that great, perhaps my car was that bad?!?!?!

I have to agree on the part about variables. Oil and fuel play roles too here.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:01 AM
Pushing 200

the fastest cars in the world arent technically automatic...
they are DSG and Dual Clutch transmissions or an F1 sequential transmission etc...
those designs are not to compare with your conventional auto transmissions.
take a look at the new GTR tranny. thans a $20,000 piece. you cant compare that to an automatic toyota supra auto tranny for example.
you can buy like 6 TSX auto trannys with that money brand new from Honda
Old 04-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Unregistered User

^ here we go again.... lets stay on topic of racing RSX-S'
Old 04-11-2009, 10:07 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX408
are you sure it was type-s? There is no way that your stock tsx can beat stock type-s.

If it was type-s, then that guy don't know how to drive. Period.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Special-K

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evertp1
they are DSG and Dual Clutch transmissions or an F1 sequential transmission etc...
take a look at the new GTR tranny. thans a $20,000 piece. you cant compare that to an automatic toyota supra auto tranny for example.
exactly...
Old 04-12-2009, 11:27 AM
heel/toe is my specialty

Originally Posted by evertp1
The fastest cars in the world arent technically stick/manual...
I know what tranny's they are using
I know that they cant really be compared to conventional auto transmissions
With that said would you compare them to a traditional manual? Say they are the same?
If you go back and read the thread you'll see where this all came from.
A lot of cars with the dsg/dual clutch tranny's have true manual tranny's available as an option and thats my point. The dual clutch/dsg's many also have full-auto modes. Generally stated, to be the fastest doesnt automatically (pun intended) mean you need the manual as was being hinted at earlier (again read the thread)
I know you are not honestly telling me to compare a $20k tranny from a $90k car to our $30k car right?

This is totally OT and really is beating a dead horse at this point. I guess I am just as guilty for replying your post.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Unregistered User

Perhaps we shall stay on topic of racing RSX's ?
Old 04-13-2009, 09:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
are you sure it was type-s? There is no way that your stock tsx can beat stock type-s.

If it was type-s, then that guy don't know how to drive. Period.
Before my TSX 6mt I had a G coupe 6mt. I raced my friends rsx-s and he had some mods I was stock. He stayed close but then I started to walk him. RSX is quick. If you find someone who can drive you will get stomped. Like everyone is saying TSX is not a drag car. If you want that especially in an auto save up and by a SC.

Last edited by onebadtsx; 04-13-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:14 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by onebadtsx
Before my TSX 6mt I had a G coupe 6mt. I raced my friends rsx-s and he had some mods I was stock. He stayed close but then I started to walk him. RSX is quick. If you find someone who can drive you will get stomped. Like everyone is saying TSX is not a drag car. If you want that especially in an auto save up and by a SC.
yup. only way to beat type-s is boosting, but then again they can boost as well.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Unregistered User

Perhaps a good way to beat RSX-S is having a short-geared transmission from JDM DC5 integra which comes with LSD? Then again, they had that 2nd gear issue
Old 04-30-2009, 01:30 PM
1st Gear

RSX-S vs TSX

I just bought a 2009 TSX, and I definitely didn't purchase it for the speed factor. It is a little zippy and handles relatively well. I purchased it with the idea that it is relatively fuel efficient and would be good for long trips to cut gas cost.

My friend has a RSX-S manual transmission with modified air intake. Theres absolutely no way my TSX will outrun him in a race. Tried it... Just ain't happening... Now my SL55, that is a very different story. ;-)

My point being if you buy this car for speed... You made the wrong choice.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Special-K

Originally Posted by tsxtally
I just bought a 2009 TSX, and I definitely didn't purchase it for the speed factor. It is a little zippy and handles relatively well. I purchased it with the idea that it is relatively fuel efficient and would be good for long trips to cut gas cost.

My friend has a RSX-S manual transmission with modified air intake. Theres absolutely no way my TSX will outrun him in a race. Tried it... Just ain't happening... Now my SL55, that is a very different story. ;-)

My point being if you buy this car for speed... You made the wrong choice.
Depends on how you look at it.. If you dont plan on modding it, then yea its the wrong choice for all out speed. But the fact that you can push out 400hp+ from the motor.. It may be the right choice to some.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:19 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Mokos23
I agree, heres a video of me racing my buddies Rsx-S with the pretty much the same mods

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWnUqvjCLDI
Old 06-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Naturally ASpirated!

There is one minor thing you can do to make it as good (or even better) than a MT... Im not gonna say at the moment because I havent tried it myself... I dont want to put it out and get stoned for it later... So stay tuned
Old 06-18-2009, 11:17 PM
B A N N E D

I raced an rsx-s before and i left it in the dust. Mods on the rsx was intake and a drop. I guess its the driver ?
Old 06-20-2009, 11:56 PM
WTF?

Received 243 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by samxeyeam
There is one minor thing you can do to make it as good (or even better) than a MT... Im not gonna say at the moment because I havent tried it myself... I dont want to put it out and get stoned for it later... So stay tuned
you shouldnt keep secrets like that
Old 06-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Naturally ASpirated!

Originally Posted by bluecarbonfiber
you shouldnt keep secrets like that
I got burned for it last time so I dont want to say... Like I said, it hasnt been tried yet and if its works great! but if it doesnt then it goes to the grave with me... I just dont want people going out and getting it done and if it doesnt work, turn around and b!tch at me about it... Happened once already, not gonna happen again.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Originally Posted by Darkside TSX
I raced an rsx-s before and i left it in the dust. Mods on the rsx was intake and a drop. I guess its the driver ?
I would definitely venture to guess it's the driver. I just sold my 05 Type S RSX and I used to be able to pass automatic TL's. I now have a 6 speed 04 TL and you FEEL the acceleration more than in the type S because of the bump in torque...but the type S screamed...

Damn I miss that 8400 redline. I test drove a TSX the day I drove the RSX...and what a mistake that was...the tsx was much more luxurious and had a lot more creature comforts but I drove it first and then the RSX and after redlining it and hauling ass...I really couldn't go back. Even the 6 speed TSX felt slow to me at that point.

No offense of course...all 4 years that I owned the RSX I envied your navigation...projectors...comfy ride...dual exhaust...blinking side mirrors...dual ac system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rsx-s