Prep for timing with a measurement device: weigh heavy, or light?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Prep for timing with a measurement device: weigh heavy, or light?

I'm going to weigh my car in its normal autocross/HPDE livery (nothing in it but driver and gas, and...) in order to calibrate my new Gtech-Pro RR device (coming in the mail this week).

Here's my question ... I may or may not remove the spare tire for such events, and not sure how much gas I'll carry (1/2 tank? 1/4 tank?). I was thinking of filling up on fuel (as I can estimate that 17.1 gals of fuel weigh 104 lbs), leaving spare tire in the trunk (35 lbs?) to provide a little weight right over the RSB. Should I measure fully loaded like this, then potentially measure with a lighter load (1/2 tank, no spare), or would this skew the numbers? And which way would it skew the numbers? (I left my math brain on the kitchen counter with my coffee mug this morning. ) Honda/Acura says the curb weight is 3313 lbs (iirc), but I've read the Gtech delivers better accuracy if you calibrate with the ACTUAL weight of the vehicle.

TIA for any and all suggestions!
Old 08-05-2012, 02:03 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you don't have access to scales , you can try going to a truck stop and they could weigh your car for a small fee (from what I've heard).

Less weight means less wait. Therefore I would try to get the to as light as you are willing to run it (no spare tire, maybe 1/2 tank of gas) and dial in the suspension, alignment, tire pressure and drive style to keep the rear end neat.

I'm not sure if the TSX has any fuel starvation problems but I have my Civic Si corner balanced with 1/2 tank of gas and no spare tire or tools. It weights exactly 2850lbs with no driver.