Newer TSX race team

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 01:37 PM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HaPPy jU1cE
do the hytech cams cause a significant difference? does anyone on this board have them? and does anyone know where to get them?

You can get the cams from HyTech along with any other HyTech products.

John @ HyTech
Old 07-13-2006, 03:03 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by shaang
Btw, I saw your dynos... I'm hoping to hit those numbers once a k-pro is released that's DBW friendly.
where did you find the dyno numbers? i couldn't find them on their site...
Old 07-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by swift22
I have a few questions regarding the racing industry etc i hope you can answer if you have the time.

1) What racing schools do you recommend?
2) Where do you look if you are person looking to be a driver for a team?
3) If you want to build your own car for racing such as your TSX what is the easiest Class to get into and still be competetive?
4) How hard is it to meet all regulations?
5) What would you look for in a young man to be qualified to work on your cars prepping them for track day?
6) What would it take for you guys to compete with REALTIME(different class..)
7) what braking system do you plan to upgrade to later on?

I also see you are using the motons which realtime uses but am glad you went with H&R. You may look into custom SWIFT springs since they are 5lbs lighter per spring.

thanks in advance.

BEN
1.) Well i have never gone threw any race schools. But from the people i talk to i have heard good things about Skip Barber, and similiar schools.

2.) If you want to be a driver then you need to get intouch with the team owners of grandam cup teams. And then normally you send them a resume, and they say yes or no and how much money it will be to run.

3.)honestly if i was building a car for racing on my own it would be an older cheaper honda. Something like the 92-95 civic SI, or 94-01 integra RS/LS/GS. It's alot more econmicial to do so, and makes sense if you not pro racing. And as far as classes to look into, check out www.nasaproracing.com and look into honda challenge. Also www.scca.org, they have Improved touring, which alot of honda's fit into, and they also have Showroom Stock, which alot of new honda's fit into. No matter what way you look at racing is expensive, but its also a blast!

4.) Again for GAC everything is very stright forward and laid out. So it is not hard at all.

5.) Again im not really the person that does this stuff for the team, but. In my opion they look for some one who is willling to learn, wants to learn, and willing to listen. I am sure there is more but these are big things for me.

6.) 2 more cars, and ALOT more money, lol. SWC TC takes alot more money to run then the series we are in now. Are engine are stock except for valve train, and last us 4 or 5 races, thats 2.5 hour races. The RTR motors are fully built, and last 2 or 3 weekends, thats 50 minute races. And that just scatching the surface.

7.) In GAC ST we are not allowed to upgrade the brakes, we must use the stock system. It has proven to work very well for us with the Cobalt friction brake bads.

And also I am very happy we use H&R springs they have helped us out alot, and a a great company!
Old 07-13-2006, 03:38 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by swift22
I have a few questions regarding the racing industry etc i hope you can answer if you have the time.

1) What racing schools do you recommend?
2) Where do you look if you are person looking to be a driver for a team?
3) If you want to build your own car for racing such as your TSX what is the easiest Class to get into and still be competetive?
4) How hard is it to meet all regulations?
5) What would you look for in a young man to be qualified to work on your cars prepping them for track day?
6) What would it take for you guys to compete with REALTIME(different class..)
7) what braking system do you plan to upgrade to later on?

I also see you are using the motons which realtime uses but am glad you went with H&R. You may look into custom SWIFT springs since they are 5lbs lighter per spring.

thanks in advance.

BEN
I'm not a pro or amatuer racer, but I know many amatuer racers. Here is what I know.

1. SCCA, NASA, Skip Barbara, etc. Many of the racers I know started with either SCCA or NASA.

2. A lot of time, the team will not hire a rookie to be their driver. Many drivers (believe it or not) PAY to drive a race car. They either pay out of their own pocket or get sponsors to pay. They do this so that if they start winning races, they get recognition and hopefully one of those teams will HIRE them to drive.

3. You don't want to build your TSX into a race car. Unless you have a lot of money, then you can start with the TSX. What you need is something cheap. Start as an amatuer racer, race in SCCA or NASA. If you want to start with Honda, NASA has a good program for Hondas. It's called Honda Challenge. There are several classes within HC. Most people are running in H4, the most economical class to race in. Cars that can be run in H4 are CRX, Civic, and Integra. There are many who race in H1 which can get very expensive. I was building my Prelude toward H1, but after blowing the motor 2 months ago, I might reconsider.

4. Every racing series has its own sets of rules. Basically, you need to find out which class you want to run in, then build your car per the rules.

5. I'll leave this for Jimmy to answer.

6. From my readings, a car prepped competitively for WC TC cost way over 6-figures whereas a car prepped competitively for GAC cost under 100k.

7. Again, I'll leave this for Jimmy to answer.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:39 PM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

Originally Posted by afici0nad0
where did you find the dyno numbers? i couldn't find them on their site...

Old 07-13-2006, 03:42 PM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

Background information on those graphs posted above:

Here is the dyno data taken from the DTS Engine dyno and Churhes Dynapak chassis dyno. Surprisingly there are very close. The engine dyno numbers are 262.52 HP and 212.53 lbs of torque the chassis dyno shows 257.6 HP and 210.2 Lbs of torque.

The motor is Roger Foo's Grand Am TSX motor. It is a 2.4 TSX engine. The engine spec's for Grand An are 10.5 to 1 compression ratio, stock rods and pistons, no head porting, HyTech Grand Am kit which includes cams, springs, retainers, header and oil pan baffle. Fuel is Sunoco 98 octane Grand Am spec. It also uses a 60mm throttle body instead of the fly by wire one, and a Hondata K pro for tuning.

It is safe to say that our engine dyno data is very consistent with the Dynapak numbers. Doug from Hondata did the chassis dyno tuning so these are reliable numbers. You can aks him if in doubt.

The graphs below are the engine dyno and the chassis dyno which compares a stock TSX to the Grand Am TSX by HyTech
Old 07-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vwong
I'm not a pro or amatuer racer, but I know many amatuer racers. Here is what I know.

1. SCCA, NASA, Skip Barbara, etc. Many of the racers I know started with either SCCA or NASA.

2. A lot of time, the team will not hire a rookie to be their driver. Many drivers (believe it or not) PAY to drive a race car. They either pay out of their own pocket or get sponsors to pay. They do this so that if they start winning races, they get recognition and hopefully one of those teams will HIRE them to drive.

3. You don't want to build your TSX into a race car. Unless you have a lot of money, then you can start with the TSX. What you need is something cheap. Start as an amatuer racer, race in SCCA or NASA. If you want to start with Honda, NASA has a good program for Hondas. It's called Honda Challenge. There are several classes within HC. Most people are running in H4, the most economical class to race in. Cars that can be run in H4 are CRX, Civic, and Integra. There are many who race in H1 which can get very expensive. I was building my Prelude toward H1, but after blowing the motor 2 months ago, I might reconsider.

4. Every racing series has its own sets of rules. Basically, you need to find out which class you want to run in, then build your car per the rules.

5. I'll leave this for Jimmy to answer.

6. From my readings, a car prepped competitively for WC TC cost way over 6-figures whereas a car prepped competitively for GAC cost under 100k.

7. Again, I'll leave this for Jimmy to answer.

hahaha good answers vwong, they look just like mine!

And about the car cost, i'd give an educated guess that te RTR TSX's cost around 150,000 to build. on the GAC ST cars, id say 90,000 is a good better number that almost all cars cost less then to build.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:06 PM
n00b

Originally Posted by jimmyc
Yeah, you beat me to it. I was probably proof-reading my post while you finished yours.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:07 PM
Unauthorized User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And about the car cost, i'd give an educated guess that te RTR TSX's cost around 150,000 to build. on the GAC ST cars, id say 90,000 is a good better number that almost all cars cost less then to build.
150k is alot of money but i'm sure with the sponsors that you have probably pays for most of the parts? Since you are advertising them on your vehicle i'm sure you get parts for literally nothing i assume. The more you win obviously the more you cater to better sponsors that will provide better quality parts right?
Old 07-13-2006, 05:01 PM
VSA Rocks

I wonder what the wifey would say if I did this to my interior....
Old 07-13-2006, 05:14 PM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

Originally Posted by Black_6spd
I wonder what the wifey would say if I did this to my interior....
She would say nice weight reduction
Old 07-13-2006, 05:33 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Will these mods void my warranty?
Old 07-13-2006, 11:46 PM
luvs redheads!

^^ LMAO

Thanks guys for answering my questions. I actually do not own a tsx but admire them very much and can adapt the suspension over to my car. What car do i own? A legend. My "race" car i actually got for free in a way. IT was hit on passenger side in door. I have doors already and the section that needs to be cut out and replaced from a friend's parts car. The car is already stripped out(to sell interior of course) and the engine is going to come out anyways to rebuild for friend and then a new prepped motor will be dropped in later. I am planning on two years. I love racing but do not keep track of what is going on much anymore. This car of mine will be for light drag racing but i love going through the twisties so i am going to build it more for both(street). I am 21 and plan on becoming a tech for Acura hopefully up in the milwaukee area in a year or get into a performance shop.

I appreciate all your answers and now I have a direction to go in . thanks much

BEN
Old 07-13-2006, 11:54 PM
luvs redheads!

Here is the pic of the car. It does look bad. but i have the door off and looked at the floor and it is good. I have to pull the front support a little etc and reweld in a new section by the little rear window and put on a frame rack. But all parts will be for free so its all good

then the real work will start..........its all about the fun and yes..despite it still being 2700+lbs it will handle very well with 12kg/8kg suspension and custom sway bars etc. fun fun.

Old 07-14-2006, 02:30 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts

here are a few picture from memeber "ACCURATEin". Next time any of you guys are out at the track, swing by and say hello. Im the one in the second picture with the blue alpinestar hat on. I also have a few peaicerings in my lip, im really freindly though and love to chat it up.
Welcome to Acurazine!

My brother took those photos of your race cars. He was very intrigued by them and the way they sounded running through the esses. He also surprised me with the team i-moto racing t shirt, which is now my favorite t shirt. I'm going to rock it everywhere i go!

Hopefully your team will make it over to VIR, probably in Oct(6-8). I'll be there that weekend.

Thanks for posting the detailed info about the TSX.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Welcome to Acurazine!

My brother took those photos of your race cars. He was very intrigued by them and the way they sounded running through the esses. He also surprised me with the team i-moto racing t shirt, which is now my favorite t shirt. I'm going to rock it everywhere i go!

Hopefully your team will make it over to VIR, probably in Oct(6-8). I'll be there that weekend.

Thanks for posting the detailed info about the TSX.

ok i remeber your brother, he spent a good amount of time talking to Roger Foo. And we will be at VIR for the 6 hour or 13 hour, or whatever it is they are doing that weekend.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:04 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I definately hope to see you guys at VIR. question, how did you choose to race the TSX, or did the TSX choose you?
Old 07-15-2006, 09:29 AM
tehLEGOman

ok i remeber your brother, he spent a good amount of time talking to Roger Foo. And we will be at VIR for the 6 hour or 13 hour, or whatever it is they are doing that weekend.
Right on! I think its a 12 hour event.

GT Live and Grand American are pairing up and making this a fairly big event.

You guys aren't allowed to run splitters or canards right?
Old 07-15-2006, 07:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Right on! I think its a 12 hour event.

GT Live and Grand American are pairing up and making this a fairly big event.

You guys aren't allowed to run splitters or canards right?

well its supposed to be a 12 hour event, but many team owners and GA are hinting that they want it to be 2 6 hour races, one for ST and one for GS. the race is supposed to be on the north corse, and im expecting at least 100 cars to show up for the weekend. I think that team owners and GA feel the same which is why they are thinking about doing twin 6 our races.

nope no aero stuff, except the the A-spec kit, which from testing done, on another modle car actually does improve aero.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:23 PM
Intermediate

Also guys, we are lucky enough to have a driver (lee), and crew memebers (rob and james) that work for Honda R&D. The same guys who ran the 06 civic Si's at the 25 hours of thunder hill and won there class.

And the team crew cheif is Mike Quan who along with roger foo have set a domminating recored in endurance racing on the west cost.

We are hoping that all of our hard work will pay off at barber, and we will not be taken out by other incidents on track. All apart ofracing but we are hoping to not have to deal with this part at barber!

If any one lives in the area please come and check us out. We love to have fans out at the track supporting us. Also if the timing is right i cna give you a tour of our paddock, introduce you to the drivers, and get an upclose look at the cars.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:47 AM
The Boss

Jimmyc,

Why didn't you supercharge that TSX?
Old 08-02-2006, 09:50 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraDriver2006
Jimmyc,

Why didn't you supercharge that TSX?
That's not allowed in this series.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:30 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xizor
I definately hope to see you guys at VIR. question, how did you choose to race the TSX, or did the TSX choose you?

The team felt that the TSX was the best car to race in this series. On many levels not only the fact that it has a great motor and suspension.

and ya the supercharger is not allowed.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:20 PM
n00b

Congrats on the 3rd place finish at Miller this past weekend.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:21 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vwong
Congrats on the 3rd place finish at Miller this past weekend.

Thanks it was a great weekend!

Check all the motorsports sites for a press release to soon be, released.

Also the race airs on the 23rd of this month, please watch it was a great race.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,538 Posts
Thanks it was a great weekend!

Check all the motorsports sites for a press release to soon be, released.

Also the race airs on the 23rd of this month, please watch it was a great race.
someone record it and host it online i dont get the speed channel. when do you think RFR will be releashing the parts they have made for your car.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:47 PM
tehLEGOman

Less than 2 weeks away from the massive east coast motorsports event! GT LIVE!!!!

I'm excited,...i'll wear the i-Moto tshirt on saturday.