Lost to a Corolla XRS

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 02:46 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer
It's a Corolla w/ 170HP, a 6MT, and a 8500RPM redline. Prepare to be surprised....
sweet! that's pretty cool. sleeper cars are pretty pimp.

wonder when honda will unleash the type r beasts over in the states.

i would pimp a dc5r over my tsx any day.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dzuy
sweet! that's pretty cool. sleeper cars are pretty pimp.

wonder when honda will unleash the type r beasts over in the states.

i would pimp a dc5r over my tsx any day.
I don't think they ever will. They've had plenty of chances up until now and all we got was a 3rd gen ITR.

Clutch, who'd buy a CTR in a second...
Old 01-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RollaXRS
Isn't there a Euro Accord R as well ??? Anyway, as for getting to the redline during a race, that is why the first gear is very short. As soon as you gun the gas in 1st gear, the engine hits 8400 rpm before you are 3 seconds in. Once you hit the redline, then you stay in lift for rest of the time and drop to 6100 - 6300 rpm during shifts. So potential for losing off the line is great, but you can easily recover once you hit lift and shift smart.
nope .. there is no Euro Accord R ... there is only Accord EuroR in Jap using the K20A-R engine u can find on DC5R ~ btw TSX's K24A2 has the same high profile cam lift for both the intake and exhaust cam on RSX-S ~ ..
wut im trying to tell u is that TSX might lose is not cuz u guess it dont have aggressive i-VTEC profile which it has ~ it's all cuz it's hella heavy for 166tq ~
but where u explain the diff between VVTL-i and i-VTEC is good .. ~
and u can also say TSX is some wut like the VVTL-i ~
Old 01-03-2005, 04:33 PM
Cruisin'

Yeah, TSX has a very good lift and goes up to 7100 rpm, which makes it a high revving engine. I have driven a V6 Accord EX (240 HP auto) and TSX is hands down more fun to drive especially with the 6 speed manual transmission. I felt really isolated from the road in the V6 Sedan. TSX has more of a European feel. That is what I loved about it.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Comptech Freak

finally they got a smoking corolla
Old 01-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Meow.

They have had a smoking corolla. That beast is the AE86. :-)
Old 01-03-2005, 05:13 PM
Cruisin'

AE86 is great for drifting. Awesome car for handling because of the rear wheel drive configuration, but 05 Corolla XRS is the fastest production stock Corolla ever ( as per Toyota's claim), but the front wheel drive setup makes it lag behind the AE86 in handling. Both the engines were built by Toyota/Yamaha. The 2ZZ Toyota/Yamaha engine had a lot of things common with the AE86 engine. I have clocked myself doing a 0-60 in 6.61 secs as the best one using a 3000 rpm, shifting at 8500 rpm and dropping to around 6200 rpm in each shift.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:19 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Quit nit-picking the guy's posts. He explained the differences between the VTEC system and VVT-i. Who cares if he mixed up a car or two?

You are talking about credibility and you have <10 posts.
Not like I am trying to make u believe sth. :imwithstupid:

if post counts = credibility, good luck with politicians.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:28 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by samkws
finally they got a smoking corolla

Pretty cool eh?
Old 01-04-2005, 08:29 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Mugen_Whore
Not like I am trying to make u believe sth. :imwithstupid:

if post counts = credibility, good luck with politicians.

It is the internet, you aren't a well known member on the forum, how else are we to judge you? The only posts you've made in this forum are attacks at another new member who has brought legitimate information to this thread.

Old 01-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Time Attack Race Car

might be the driver lol j/k
Old 01-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Audi Driving Snob

No worries Steve. He does not hate me so it is all good. Although, VVT-i and VVTL-i are two different technologies just like VTEC and i-VTEC are.

VVT- i variable valve timing with intelligence ( only variable valve timing, which involves variation of the valve overlap in order to optimize the low end torque and high rpm power. Standard on all Toyota models).

VVTL-i ( In addition to variable valve timing, this technology includes a high profile cam lift for both the intake and exhaust cam just like the i-VTEC especially in RSX Type S).

Here is some info on the new i-VTEC i technology that gives 35 mpg from a 2.0L engine. Truly revolutionary that you Honda owners can be proud of:

http://world.honda.com/HDTV/news/2003-4031127a/
Sup ROllaXRS -- Haven't sifted through all the responses but I did want to address a few things you had mentioned in earlier posts.

The motor in the tsx is the k24a2. It has cam phasing and cam changing just like vvtl-i. the vtec mechanism is the 3 rocker type as found in the rsxs, not the rsx base nor the k24 variants in other hondas like the accord. The redline is 7100 rpms but the limiter doesn't kick in till 7400 and the engine is making power all the way there.(especially if modified) If it had an extra 600 or so rpms to play with y ou could see some serious improvements in performance, but the long stroke design of the k24 limits this. The piston speeds in the TSX at the revlimiter are astronomical, higher only by the s2000 and I believe a ferrari.(this may not be completely correct but you get the picture) That long stroke is what give the tsx the strong low end torque, at the loss of being able to rev to 9k rpms.(you'll notice the new s2k is a 2.2 liter)

As far as tunablility there is a huge upside. All the ivtec k series respond incredibly well to ecu tuning where cam angle and fuel mappings can be modified. Unfortunately Hondata hasn't yet cracked the drive by wire system so they don't have a flash out for us. However the proof of concept is below. Someone swapped a stock tsx motor into an rsx which doesn't have the DBW system. Basically you can look at this dyno as a tsx motor with stock internals, I/H/E and ecu flash. 180lbft and 215hp at the wheels is pretty damn strong. ANother thing that can be altered with honda is lowering the rpm switchover to the high cam. Stock this is set to 6000 rpms, but lowering it would give the added benefit of more torque and not falling out of the cam change on shift. The tsx stock has a very mild tune.(no doubt honda is saving ecu enhancements and variable intake runner setups future releases) FOr reference stock dyons have the tsx ~ 175hp and 152lb ft of torque at the wheels.

As far as the race i have no doubt that the corolla with it's quite light weight should be able to beat a tsx if launched well. However if you take it from a roll I have a feeling the results would be different.

Old 01-04-2005, 03:51 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen 1/4 numbers for the xrs, they are right about the same as the TSX. A good drivers race.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:22 PM
Cruisin'

Honda owns the tuner market. There is no doubt about that. The best I have seen for a Celica GT-S modded is a 13.7 sec quarter mile with trial headers, exhaust, intake, modded ECU ( revving up to 9000 rpm), removal of the sound deadening etc., but there are Hondas that run 12 sec quarter miles all over the place. As for racing from a roll, I think XRS shines a lot more when launched in lift (around 6300 - 6400 rpm) from a roll. Quite honestly, I have been smoked off the line in 10 of the 15 races (I launch around 3000 rpm) so far and I have not lost a race yet. That is the thing about a torqueless car (although it gets all the torque at 4400 rpm that GT-S gets at 6800 rpm) . It kind of sucks that you have to wait for the lift to kick in, but it gives you a big jolt when it arrives at 6400 rpm.

Originally Posted by TinkySD
Sup ROllaXRS -- Haven't sifted through all the responses but I did want to address a few things you had mentioned in earlier posts.

The motor in the tsx is the k24a2. It has cam phasing and cam changing just like vvtl-i. the vtec mechanism is the 3 rocker type as found in the rsxs, not the rsx base nor the k24 variants in other hondas like the accord. The redline is 7100 rpms but the limiter doesn't kick in till 7400 and the engine is making power all the way there.(especially if modified) If it had an extra 600 or so rpms to play with y ou could see some serious improvements in performance, but the long stroke design of the k24 limits this. The piston speeds in the TSX at the revlimiter are astronomical, higher only by the s2000 and I believe a ferrari.(this may not be completely correct but you get the picture) That long stroke is what give the tsx the strong low end torque, at the loss of being able to rev to 9k rpms.(you'll notice the new s2k is a 2.2 liter)

As far as tunablility there is a huge upside. All the ivtec k series respond incredibly well to ecu tuning where cam angle and fuel mappings can be modified. Unfortunately Hondata hasn't yet cracked the drive by wire system so they don't have a flash out for us. However the proof of concept is below. Someone swapped a stock tsx motor into an rsx which doesn't have the DBW system. Basically you can look at this dyno as a tsx motor with stock internals, I/H/E and ecu flash. 180lbft and 215hp at the wheels is pretty damn strong. ANother thing that can be altered with honda is lowering the rpm switchover to the high cam. Stock this is set to 6000 rpms, but lowering it would give the added benefit of more torque and not falling out of the cam change on shift. The tsx stock has a very mild tune.(no doubt honda is saving ecu enhancements and variable intake runner setups future releases) FOr reference stock dyons have the tsx ~ 175hp and 152lb ft of torque at the wheels.

As far as the race i have no doubt that the corolla with it's quite light weight should be able to beat a tsx if launched well. However if you take it from a roll I have a feeling the results would be different.

Old 01-04-2005, 08:24 PM
4th Gear

I think the race would have been different as in I would have lost even more....
cuz I got him by half a car length when I went off the line....the XRS has a very strong top end...and it seems like after lift..they don't lost power..and maintain the same power up until their rev limiter...
Old 01-04-2005, 08:39 PM
Cruisin'

Mod your K24 up and you will own my XRS. :-D
Old 01-06-2005, 02:47 AM
Instructor

So are you really believe you can out race TSX any time?

Regarding your 0 - 60, how can you do it in 6.6 sec? Even faster then the factory spec.?

You now make me think you did mod. your engine or something since your 0 - 60 is almost 1 second more then the spec.?

Can you post up the video on how you do the 0 - 60??

What about RSX Type-S? Can you out race of it?
Old 01-06-2005, 02:47 AM
Instructor

This post just getting more interesting...
Old 01-06-2005, 02:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TSX_RACER
I think the race would have been different as in I would have lost even more....
cuz I got him by half a car length when I went off the line....the XRS has a very strong top end...and it seems like after lift..they don't lost power..and maintain the same power up until their rev limiter...
It is very unbelievable you got him half a car length and you still cannot catch him up. You story and situation is very special....
Old 01-06-2005, 02:50 AM
Instructor

Honda owns the tuner market. There is no doubt about that. The best I have seen for a Celica GT-S modded is a 13.7 sec quarter mile with trial headers, exhaust, intake, modded ECU ( revving up to 9000 rpm), removal of the sound deadening etc., but there are Hondas that run 12 sec quarter miles all over the place. As for racing from a roll, I think XRS shines a lot more when launched in lift (around 6300 - 6400 rpm) from a roll. Quite honestly, I have been smoked off the line in 10 of the 15 races (I launch around 3000 rpm) so far and I have not lost a race yet. That is the thing about a torqueless car (although it gets all the torque at 4400 rpm that GT-S gets at 6800 rpm) . It kind of sucks that you have to wait for the lift to kick in, but it gives you a big jolt when it arrives at 6400 rpm.
Sounds like you believe you can beat the M3 too? Have you have try to play with the BMW 330? Or Rsx Type-S? If you did, what is the result?
Old 01-06-2005, 02:52 AM
Instructor

BTW, RollarXRS: How much did you paid for your corolla XRS? I think I may get one for Sunday race since it is not that expensive but fast,(According to what you said.)?
Old 01-06-2005, 03:00 AM
Instructor

You have all the freedom to diss my posting and not agree with me. Why do you have to be a j*rk about it when I have disrespected no one? I went on to great lengths in my post to say that I love the TSX and that two of my friend's bought TSX upon my recommendation. I only wanted to give some info on the Toyota's 2ZZ GE engine for people who seemingly wanted to know about it. I personally have nothing to gain from this. As for the K20A engine, I associated it with the RSX Type S not the S2000, but I did associate the i-VTEC with S2000, which I was wrong about. Read my 2nd posting above and I wrote that TSX uses the K24 engine and there is a Euro Accord R, which uses the K20 engine.

"Then you have the more aggressive version of i-vtec, which is found in Acura RSX Type S K20A engine, Honda S2000"
Hey man, relax. No one try to offend you here. PEACE!

I would not direct compare 2 VTEC system since it will definitely start a Honda vs Toyota war.

I did drive the XRS before, and I test drive it with my friend. I highly recommend my friend get XRS since it is fall within his budget and get the quality of Toyota. Although I still not agree the over all feeling of speed on Corolla and the standard equitment I have on my TSX is not even an option on full loaded Corolla XRS. So, if you make me choose either TSX or Corolla again, I still vote for TSX. (Come on man, 35k CAD vs 25k CAD. Not in the same class. Period!)

Well, anyways. Good luck on your XRS. = )
Old 01-06-2005, 03:03 AM
Instructor

:wtf:
Old 01-06-2005, 03:14 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
XRS come with hids?
Old 01-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Cruisin'

You guys took it the wrong way. What I meant was that given the K24 engine and every other Honda in general have an advantage of a lot of mods available, which can make them very fast. That is very understandable since everyone from outside has a tendency to thing the guy is trolling around. But, before I get flamed more, I am going to call it a day. I am not going to reveal results or discuss any of my race here. I was thinking before that pricing might come into play. Especially, when I was deemed "trying to be faster than an M3", which is almost outrageous. So, good luck guys. I hope you enjoy your TSX as much as any one can enjoy their car. It is a great car indeed.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:56 AM
Instructor

Damn you guys sure get all worked up over who 4dr family sedan is faster.Just face fact the tsx is a slow car anyone who bought it to race it dosent know what fast is.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
sry to be off the topic, Who's that girl on ur avaitor Spoon_tsx? she's freaking hot!!!
Old 01-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Time Attack Race Car

Who's that girl?
Originally Posted by tnl_tsx
sry to be off the topic, Who's that girl on ur avaitor Spoon_tsx? she's freaking hot!!!
Old 01-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrsteve
It is the internet, you aren't a well known member on the forum, how else are we to judge you? The only posts you've made in this forum are attacks at another new member who has brought legitimate information to this thread.

geez, i don't realize that people on internet can really do a good reasoning.
let me make the points clear if u can't get those.

1. I am not trying to make u to trust me, he made those mistakes, it is a fact already.

2. In any situation, u go out and do a presentation. After u make a few false statement, the whole thing goes to crap. That's life, take that. Well, may be that doesn't happen in the internet world. That's why you are happy here with ur 2000+ posts?

legitimate information? yeah, very legitimate that the TSX use K20 and S2000 has i-vtec. nice try, buddy.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ix8vii
Who's that girl?
She is a korean who lived in Vancouver, and my relationship with her is.... GUESS!
Old 01-06-2005, 04:31 PM
Intermediate

wooo.... mrsteve, I just went thru his post.
I wonder how u call those legitimate info, when it only tells u "2 different i-vtec" but not the difference actually. (there are 3 types of i-vtec now in fact).

those are like butt-dyno to me, ha ha... but if that's enough to make u satisfied, then it is ur call. later!

Old 01-06-2005, 07:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by stuckthrotle
Damn you guys sure get all worked up over who 4dr family sedan is faster.Just face fact the tsx is a slow car anyone who bought it to race it dosent know what fast is.
Honestly, I doubt our TSX is ready for race without proper mod.. but I would not decline the potential of it to be a racing machine. Spoon use it for the TOuring Class Racing already and gaining a pretty good result.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Instructor

You guys took it the wrong way. What I meant was that given the K24 engine and every other Honda in general have an advantage of a lot of mods available, which can make them very fast. That is very understandable since everyone from outside has a tendency to thing the guy is trolling around. But, before I get flamed more, I am going to call it a day. I am not going to reveal results or discuss any of my race here. I was thinking before that pricing might come into play. Especially, when I was deemed "trying to be faster than an M3", which is almost outrageous. So, good luck guys. I hope you enjoy your TSX as much as any one can enjoy their car. It is a great car indeed.
Thanks. But may I advice you that to post something bad about TSX on a TSX forum is really a BAD idea. As you already seeing that you got alots of flame already. I totally understood where you come from but some hardcore TSX fans may not like or even agree with what you say.

Just my 0.02 cent, no hard feeling!
Old 01-06-2005, 07:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tnl_tsx
I got some more pictures about this girl. Do you want me to post them up here???