Helmet for autocross

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 09:03 PM
such a dirty birdy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Helmet for autocross

Hey all,

I'm going to have a go at autocrossing this year (yep, in the TSX). I've registered for a race in a couple weeks. I need to buy a helmet and so I'm looking for some advice here.

Local rules only state the helmet must be Snell '85 or better. Any recommendations? Opinions on full-face vs open? Is an SA-rated helmet warranted for autox? I wear eyeglasses, are there any models in particular I should look for or avoid?

Price isn't the top concern, I want good quality and safety, but I also don't want to spend a fortune until I know I'm going to stick with it for a while. So I guess I'm looking at USD$200-300? Does that seem about right?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:42 PM
such a dirty birdy

ping
Old 04-13-2004, 12:36 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I'm interested in this too, looking to buy one someday. In my local races they have loaners to wear when you ride though.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:23 AM
such a dirty birdy

I just found out that my local club has some loaners available too, so I might do that for the first event and see what advice I get from other drivers there.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:42 AM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
I wouldn't go with a helmet with a Snell rating of 85. In fact, I think it's not allowed in SCCA SoloII anymore. The minimum rating should be Snell 90, but I doubt if you can find one now because every new helmet is now rated at Snell 2000. The Snell rating changes every 5 years. In 2005, there will be a new rating that would be Snell 2005, and Snell 90 would NOT be allowed, the minimum then would be Snell 95.

IMO, I would get the SA helmet rather than the M helmet. M is for motorcycle, and SA is for special application (namely automobile). M helmets are designed to take one big impact and you'll have to get a new one. They also don't have good fire protective material. OTOH, SA helmets are designed for multiple impacts (like banging against the roll cage in a race car), and have good fire protective material (your head won't be seriously burnt in case you're trapped in the burning car after an accident). Another reason why I would go with a SA helmet is that in case you decide to do some track events, most of the organizing clubs would require SA rated helmets rather than M rated helmets.

As for the full-face vs. open-face, I personally prefer full-face. More frontal protection wouldn't hurt. Also, it would allow me to drive any open-wheel cars (open-wheel cars require the driver to have full-face helmet ONLY). There are some full-face helmets on the market that have large eyeport for people who wear glasses. I have a Bell Sport II helmet. It's a full-face, fiberglass construction helmet that I bought back in 98. It was around $300. For you, I think the Bell M2 would fit your need. It's a full-face, fiberglass construction, large eyeport, and it's about $300. Here's the website, http://www.thebellstore.com/Auto/racer.html. It would be best if you can go to a local shop to test fit it before you purchase.

Oh yeah...I used one of those loaner helmets in my very very first auto-x event. After that event, I went and bought myself a helmet. The loaner helmets are gross, especially in the summer.