Has anybody raced their tsx yet???

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 08:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by lshenretty
.... but I do know that in off-the-line acceleration torque is EVERYTHING.
False. There is something called gearing, maybe you have heard of that. Gear ratio along with torque determine how much force is actually being delivered to the ground.:flamer:
Old 07-23-2003, 03:32 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by rzee
False. There is something called gearing, maybe you have heard of that. Gear ratio along with torque determine how much force is actually being delivered to the ground.:flamer:
You're right. And also the weight of the car. Should have put those conditions on it.

In two cars of comparable weight and gearing, the one with more torque wins away from the stoplight.
Old 08-30-2003, 03:57 AM
Burning Brakes

and how much taco bell the driver ate is also something to consider! =)
Old 08-30-2003, 11:12 AM
Intermediate

I beat a Prelude, and I beat a turbo Jetta. Was fun!
Old 08-30-2003, 11:41 AM

A TL type-S only beat you by a car length? That seems odd I thought it would be way faster.

Thats a joke a tl type-s does 0-60 in 6.2secs dream on.
Old 08-30-2003, 12:10 PM
4th Gear

Originally posted by rzee
It's an I6.

And 225hp makes it pretty weak for a 3.0L.

true that its an I6 ..
and actually has 215hp (not 225) and 218 lb-ft torque
Old 08-30-2003, 03:09 PM
VTECSTASY!

Alright guys... my friends and I are quite the car entusiasts. We take great pride in our cars and treat them each as a part of the family. We also have our share of racing each other now and then when we all drive together. I've raced each one of my friends so heres how it went (all these races were off the line and all cars are manual):

Friend #1 - Infiniti G35 Coupe
NO CONTEST!

Friend #2 - 1997 BMW M3
got my ass whooped

Friend #3 - 1995 Toyota Celica GT
got at least 4-5 car lengths by 70 mph

Friend #4 - Nissan 240 w/ JDM Silvia S13 motor
OMG that car is FAST!

Friend #5 - 2003 RSX Type-S
now this is where it gets interesting. Out of 3 runs i beat him once. The fact that i stayed up with him surprised me. And even at high speeds he pulls on me very slowly. But yes... the RSX TypeS is faster and lighter than the TSX.

Friend #6 - 1997 Eclipse GS-T
Took him off the line because i had a better launch. Again at a rolling start... he pulled a good car length and I never caught up.

Friend #7 - 2003 Subaru WRX
No contest off the line... but at high speeds its pretty much even. Im guessing because his power is distributed due to awd.

I was also very surprised to beat an Impala SS off the line! With my windows rolled down I couldnt even hear my own engine but i QUIETLY pulled a couple feet after 3rd gear. Im sure at high speeds he would crush me. Anyway, after having this car for more than 4 months with 13,000 miles, I've come to the conclusion that this is NOT the car for someone looking to race. Its wonderful and I love the car... it's simply not suited for all out performance, although it does quite well against the competition. Id rather sail down the road blasting the 360 watt sound system comfortably situated in my leather seats enjoying the nice smooth ride and watch people as they break their necks to admire my TSX.
Old 08-30-2003, 05:29 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally posted by onenonlieTSX
Alright guys... my friends and I are quite the car entusiasts. We take great pride in our cars and treat them each as a part of the family. We also have our share of racing each other now and then when we all drive together. I've raced each one of my friends so heres how it went (all these races were off the line and all cars are manual):

Friend #1 - Infiniti G35 Coupe
NO CONTEST!

Friend #2 - 1997 BMW M3
got my ass whooped

Friend #3 - 1995 Toyota Celica GT
got at least 4-5 car lengths by 70 mph

Friend #4 - Nissan 240 w/ JDM Silvia S13 motor
OMG that car is FAST!

Friend #5 - 2003 RSX Type-S
now this is where it gets interesting. Out of 3 runs i beat him once. The fact that i stayed up with him surprised me. And even at high speeds he pulls on me very slowly. But yes... the RSX TypeS is faster and lighter than the TSX.

Friend #6 - 1997 Eclipse GS-T
Took him off the line because i had a better launch. Again at a rolling start... he pulled a good car length and I never caught up.

Friend #7 - 2003 Subaru WRX
No contest off the line... but at high speeds its pretty much even. Im guessing because his power is distributed due to awd.

I was also very surprised to beat an Impala SS off the line! With my windows rolled down I couldnt even hear my own engine but i QUIETLY pulled a couple feet after 3rd gear. Im sure at high speeds he would crush me. Anyway, after having this car for more than 4 months with 13,000 miles, I've come to the conclusion that this is NOT the car for someone looking to race. Its wonderful and I love the car... it's simply not suited for all out performance, although it does quite well against the competition. Id rather sail down the road blasting the 360 watt sound system comfortably situated in my leather seats enjoying the nice smooth ride and watch people as they break their necks to admire my TSX.
Interesting stuff. Definitely agree the tsx isn't a dragger but it does hang very well with most things you can throw at it. Are you all stock still? I'm counting tires ad modded as they should make a sizeable difference.
Old 08-30-2003, 07:02 PM
Advanced

I gotta admit the car looks great, but it needs MORE balls! I test drove the 6MT and I was impressed with the tranny, but the car needed more torque in the low end. I was going to buy another manual tranny TSX, but there was no point, the car was a little to slow for me. Oh well, the TSX won me over. I still have my
GS-T for the weekend thrills, and my TSX for my everyday driving.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:40 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Gboyz78
I gotta admit the car looks great, but it needs MORE balls! I test drove the 6MT and I was impressed with the tranny, but the car needed more torque in the low end.

Gotta keep those revs up , and the car has plenty of balls for public roads. Low-end IS nice to have though.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:40 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have taken on a race that is worth mentionning.

This morning, and I think it was for the first time I saw this car, I stopped at a stop light on a back road, and behind me pulls this beautiful yellow 911 with a pretty mean front bumper, and a big spoiler behind. I was thnking, no this can't be it. But yes it was!, At the green light we went, and he passes me, and there it was, confirmation, the awesome GT3.

Now I am not too enthusiatic about road/street racing, I usually tend to express my disagreement at someone who brags too loudly that he street races. I do see many situations where people race without any consideration of their less-than-ideal environment in which they are racing.

But a GT3 being a GT3, I could not and would not have let this pass without getting a personnal confirmation of all that I've read about this car. And the conditions were as ideal as they could get. Some straightaways with a few tight curves tucked in amongst them. And there was no traffic!

So forget it, it was well worth the foolishness.

I immediately buried the pedal to the metal in 2nd, 3rd, and shifting in 4th, what was relatively slowly pulling away became literally pulling away fast and hard. We came up behind 2 trucks, and had to stay behind the second a a random car was coming up. I was in 3rd at 5700rpm when we buried the throttle again. When I reached 180kph, he must have been well over 220kph, but then came one sharp 90° elbow curve. He was now about 1200ft ahead of me, but I could see his back end shifting slightly left and right, telling me he was really stepping down hard on the brakes. He slowed down too much, and I assume I had a much better knowledge of the road than he, so I arrived real hard on the brakes, but took the curve at the limits, or close, and gained ground on him. After this curve was a succession of left-right-left-right's, where, to my great surprise, I caught up a lot of ground on him. Straightaway, then a final and difficult 45kph right hander, and then back on the throttle, screaming through the gears again, and losing him in front of me big time again as soon as I shifted to 4th. Then, he finally was able to get rid of me (if that was what he was trying, after all racing a TSX must be a little shameful for such a car) because of more traffic, which I did not dare pass, since we were coming close to a village.

I wanted to know what the GT3 had to offer, and I got a good show for the money, right before my eyes, smell and sound, as each of his gearshifts were accompanied by a generous twin puffs of brown smoke. I wasn't expecting terrible performances from the TSX, but I was very much surprised at seing the GT3 dance a little in the curves as I was following him at a steady pace in the curves.

Needless to say, I had to almost overdrive to keep up, which he probably wasn't doing, but I also suspect that if he were to try and bring his car too close to the limits, his tires could have given up on him a lot more violently than the TSX, and so it was definitley not a risk worth taking for such a beautiful piece of race-bred road car... The Mighty Porsche 911 GT3 !

Final count: TSX:0
GT3:3

Old 09-03-2003, 05:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the writeup. The 911 is a beautiful, fast sports car, but I love how my TSX handles.